Manual Focusing on EP1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nex100

Aug 15, 2008
I was intrigued by the manual focus of the G1 where I can move the focus point at any 1 point on the EV and then turn my lens to focus on the single point and had very much fun with it.

I wonder if this wonderful feature is also possible on the EP1? That will really seal the deal.

you mean you can move the point in the EVF,than the selected area is magnified for manual focus?if yes,then the answer is yes,E-P1 does have that,but on the screen instead,since it has no EVF

I concur...

that's great! Thanks mate.

The screen is very shaky, though, compared to manual focusing with a VF. At least for the kit zoom lens, especially past 14mm ... need more practice.

And I really miss the split focusing screens on a VF for manual focusing. I hope they add a VF for their next version.

Is it as shaky when using other manual lenses like the OM, Leitz, etc. ? Still waiting for some adapters, so I don't know yet.

Other than that and some minor niggles, plus the difficulty for users with presbyopia (AF is definitely a boon in this case), excellent camera overall. I love white, YMMV of course :).

Last edited:
The screen is very shaky, though, compared to manual focusing with a VF. At least for the kit zoom lens, especially past 14mm ... need more practice.

And I really miss the split focusing screens on a VF for manual focusing. I hope they add a VF for their next version.

Is it as shaky when using other manual lenses like the OM, Leitz, etc. ? Still waiting for some adapters, so I don't know yet.

Other than that and some minor niggles, plus the difficulty for users with presbyopia (AF is definitely a boon in this case), excellent camera overall. I love white, YMMV of course :).

olympus-e-p1-090831-1.jpg

I'm going to assume that you focus with the magnified screen,which will be shaky because the effect is the same as when using a telephoto lens,when you're in normal view,minute shakes are not very obvious,like telephoto lens,since you magnify the view,it magnify the part of the image,much like a zoom lens zooming on something distant,the hand shake therefore becomes more obvious

As yet no way to specify how much to zoom in when using the manual focus assist yeah? Typically think the 7x zoom in is too much. something like 3x should be enough.

Regards

Hi all,
Using a 3rd Party manual lens like Canon FD or old Olympus lens is there away to get the zoom in function to work?

Thanks.

Hi all,
Using a 3rd Party manual lens like Canon FD or old Olympus lens is there away to get the zoom in function to work?

Thanks.

Yes, and IS too! You have to manually dial in the focal length of the lens. That is the advantage Olympus have over Panasonic. Panny's IS is built into the lens, which means they are only interested to sell their own lenses.

Yes, magnified, I am used to cameras with magnified viewfinders, like on the Olympus OM at .92X, fantabulous. And I can hold a 250mm without much shake on an Olympus OM or 20mm on a Nikon DSLR for example, but on the E-P1 at 7x with 42mm (which is 84mm only), it's a lot of movement. I didn't realize there was a 5x, thanks, will check it out.

Anyway, just got the OM adapter, will have some fun :cool:. Not really an issue on the streets, where I use zone focusing 95% of the time.

I'm going to assume that you focus with the magnified screen,which will be shaky because the effect is the same as when using a telephoto lens,when you're in normal view,minute shakes are not very obvious,like telephoto lens,since you magnify the view,it magnify the part of the image,much like a zoom lens zooming on something distant,the hand shake therefore becomes more obvious

Yes, and IS too! You have to manually dial in the focal length of the lens. That is the advantage Olympus have over Panasonic. Panny's IS is built into the lens, which means they are only interested to sell their own lenses.

Thanks microcosm. Is there away to zoom-in live view for focus using 3rd Party lens?

Cheers.

Ok, nothing like a hands-on session. I just tried the OM adapter with an OM lens, focusing with magnifier, excellent. The magnifier at 7x is just fine, the shake is not an issue after all, it should be treated as just a tool for more critical focusing. Once proper focus is achieved, just go back to normal view before taking the shot.

It turns out the magnification is actually a wonderful feature, so my observations initially are moot. It helped that it is a lot easier to focus manually on a manual focus lens than with the kit lens (not really meant to be that way anyway).

Last edited:
It turns out the magnification is actually a wonderful feature, so my observations initially are moot. It helped that it is a lot easier to focus manually on a manual focus lens than with the kit lens (not really meant to be that way anyway).

That is probably because kit lense are focus by wire - not by mechanism so the feel is not there. While manual lense on the other hand is old school. I am starting to feel the difference too, previously not aware.

suddenly the EP1 don't look so good when the GF1 got EVF ... why? why?

suddenly the EP1 don't look so good when the GF1 got EVF ... why? why?

Because no one has yet used the EVF. LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.