Maintaining 14-24mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konabike

Nov 28, 2008
Hello to all nikon friends, I bought this len recently and shoot it for a few days. I was shock some dust had entered inside the len.

At 14mm, there is a small gap opening between the len and the len hood and the opening gap will close at about 16mm. I feel the gap is small enough to generate some vaccum effect when I zoom between 14-24mm, inviting dust into the len.

As I normally maintain my lenses well, I found this len particularly difficult to maintain. I check with Nikon Center, and it would cost me S$180 to blow away those few dust. Though it will not affect the pic quality, but seeing those dust is just irritating.

I like to know if you have similar experience? and what precaution measures do you take?

Thank you.

Dust in lens is normal. You spend $180 and dust goes back in again after some use. Live with it.

I have been using the lens since it was introduced and I do not "see" any dust issue, no complaints from my clients too.

Seriously, if you do no want any dust in lens then don't use it, that's the only solution.

Dust is something you need to live with... but it should not affect the Pict if it is on the lens. It is fungus that you should be watching out for.

Can feel your anxiety, I'm a picky person myself. Apart from not shooting, you can only zoom in/out slower. But let's not go to extremes.

End of the day, if the dust doesn't affect the image, just leave it.

No way to avoid it, really.

Appreciate each of your feedback. I guess the frustration it is such a new lens for me (less than one week), and it had already attracted dust. Anyway, I now call it a 'dust sucker' lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.