[macVince] Bit by Bit; Week by Week APAW 2015

Have these been repaired? :(

These two photos show the permanent exhibits at the open-air museum in the city area. The whole city, earthquake levelled places, have been repaired (I observed) and life is back to normal.

A White Winter in Zermatt, Switzerland. Cold too!

#12 (23Jan15) A White Winter in Zermatt
by mac.Vince, on Flickr

There are a few unique and interesting points about Zermatt. It is a small but clean city: only battery powered vehicles are allowed; no petrol or diesel vehicles. The taxis are the boxy and battery driven type. Trains that pulled up to its station are electric trains. There are horse-drawn carriages for guests of the most expensive hotels there. In December, the winter weather can be cold at zero degree C or lower. But up in the ski mountain top (Glacier Paradise is 3883m or 12740 ft above mean sea-level), it can be 15-20 below zero, and lower still in Jan-Feb. To reach the top of the ski resort where skiers descend, one has to ride through three stages of cable car, changing to a larger car at the final stage. Zermatt, at the southern end of Switzerland bordering Italy, is one of the most beautiful places in Switzerland to visit.

- - - - -

Pause for a Self-Check: I think I'm not doing too badly. From a modest start to try and post one photo a week, I managed to post on the average 2 or 3 a week thus far. You might have already noticed that I try to post my travel photos, past and present, with brief notes about the photos.

:bsmilie:

Last edited:
A White Winter in Zermatt, Switzerland. Cold too!
https://flic.kr/p/qSio5b
#12 (23Jan15) A White Winter in Zermatt
by mac.Vince, on Flickr
There are a few unique and interesting points about Zermatt. It is a small but clean city: only battery powered vehicles are allowed; no petrol or diesel vehicles. The taxis are the boxy and battery driven type. Trains that pulled up to its station are electric trains. There are horse-drawn carriages for guests of the most expensive hotels there. In December, the winter weather can be cold at zero degree C or lower. But up in the ski mountain top (Glacier Paradise is 3883m or 12740 ft above mean sea-level), it can be 15-20 below zero, and lower still in Jan-Feb. To reach the top of the ski resort where skiers descend, one has to ride through three stages of cable car, changing to a larger car at the final stage. Zermatt, at the southern end of Switzerland bordering Italy, is one of the most beautiful places in Switzerland to visit.

- - - - -

Pause for a Self-Check: I think I'm not doing too badly. From a modest start to try and post one photo a week, I managed to post on the average 2 or 3 a week thus far. You might have already noticed that I try to post my travel photos, past and present, with brief notes about the photos.

:bsmilie:

Do keep the photos coming. :)
Personally, I enjoy reading the interesting background of the photos, along with the shots. Like the wide-view of this white winter photo too.

Do keep the photos coming. :)
Personally, I enjoy reading the interesting background of the photos, along with the shots. Like the wide-view of this white winter photo too.

Thanks very much. I'm enjoying everyone's photos in this sub-forum, including yours too.

I was at the Flower Dome, Gardens by the Bay yesterday (24Jan15). The Chinese New Year decorations are up in full force - what a quick switch from the Christmas theme last month - and there is nothing lacking: Strings of Fire Crackers; Goats (the year of the Horse this year will be replaced by the year of the Goat on 19Feb15, being the 1st day of CNY or Lunar New Year or Spring Festival); Taels of Gold; Lanterns; etc. etc. I saw a few posing for photos with the a red banner each in hand. Each banner has a goodwill message of four Chinese words written in gold on them. These must have been given out by GBTB randomly.

Personally, I'm not so enthusiastic about all these CNY things but I do accept that it is part and parcel of the Chinese culture and tradition around Jan or Feb each year and I go along with everyone else in my family & extended family out of goodwill and festive cheer to all. Can I be excused from giving out Ang Pows or Hongbaos (Red Packets) & if not, can they be paid out of my CPF please? Another friend once reminded me that "Hope is Fat!"

I'm not too apt with what the correct CNY protocol is; but someone once told me good things come in threes. So I would request the Mods to grant me a concession out of goodwill to post 3PAD today (25Jan15) instead of APAD; thanks. (BTW mine thread is actually APAW.)

#14a (25Jan15) Chinese New Year Decorations
in the Flower Dome at GBTB by mac.Vince, on Flickr

#14b (25Jan15) Chinese New Year Decorations

#14c (25Jan15) Chinese New Year Decorations

Last edited:
so fast they put up the decor?!

Wow! January only and you've been to so many places.
Great start for the year. :)

Wow! January only and you've been to so many places. Great start for the year. :)

Haha! Actually those were from previous trips. If free wifi is available, I might upload a few current ones on and off. About to board 😃

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qYJHFK]
#15 (29Jan15) Schonbrunn, Vienna, Austria
by mac.Vince, on Flickr[/URL]

Schoenbrunn is a large palace museum with a vast garden and the oldest zoo in the world, the Imperial Zoo. Sheer power, leg power, is required to cover the palace, gardens, zoo & more. We did well with 6 hours of legwork in freezing temp.

Last edited:

#18 (08Feb15) Neuschwanstein Castle, Munich Germany
by mac.Vince, on Flickr

I was told that the Disneyland or Disneyworld Magic Kingdom castle was modelled after the Neuschwanstein Castle. To reach the castle, one has to travel two hours by train from Munich (Munchen) to a small town, transfer to a bus to reach the foothill. From there it is another 30-40 mins or so walk up to the castle, the route is steeper towards the castle at the top. Alternatively, one could ride in a two-horse carriage to go up for a reasonable fee. The ticket for the tour of the castle interior covers two castles: Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau; the latter is situated near the ticket booth at the foothill. Unfortunately, no photo-taking is allowed inside both castles, I could very well understand why. But the guided tours provided good background for the visitors of how the castles came to be with informative descriptions of the rooms and their furniture, paintings, purpose, etc. If you go during winter like I did last week, the minus 6-10 deg C weather makes the journey up more interesting (or challenging), and the journey down near sunset shiveringly cold. I could see some visitors, who were not adequately dressed for the cold like my family and I did, struggling with it. The scenery is spectacular, to say the least, with thick snow on all sides and beauty which is hard to match. For me, being city born and raised, Beauty has been re-defined. The culture and history is both deep and amazing; the engineering feats to build the castles on top of high hills or mountains, hard to imagine or fathom. The advantage of going there in the midst of winter is there are far fewer visitors and tourists. If you were to go in summer, the crowds could dampen the joy and the queues, perhaps like Disneyland or Disneyworld in summer, only, you can't get a Fast-Pass to jump queue (officially).

Last edited:

#19 (15Feb15) Festung Hohensalzburg, Salzburg, Austria
by mac.Vince, on Flickr

This view of The Fortress was taken from the site of the house and lake where "The Sound of Music" was filmed. High up on the hill sat this Fortress, with the afternoon sun bearing down on it with a golden glow against the shadowed surrounding. My travel kit lens didn't do justice to what my eyes had seen. It was quite a sight! Access to the Fortress is by cable car from the foothill. One good way to move around Salzburg is to use the Salzburg card - for 24 hours or multiple days - which covers the bus rides, entrance to most museums, and to this Fortress, etc. Visiting in thick of winter, with snow all around (especially when it is snowing), has the advantage of taking postcard-like pictures, especially when visiting surrounding areas out of Salzburg city.

https://flic.kr/p/q9TgxV #18 (08Feb15) Neuschwanstein Castle, Munich Germany by mac.Vince, on Flickr I was told that the Disneyland or Disneyworld Magic Kingdom castle was modelled after the Neuschwanstein Castle. To reach the castle, one has to travel two hours by train from Munich (Munchen) to a small town, transfer to a bus to reach the foothill. From there it is another 30-40 mins or so walk up to the castle, the route is steeper towards the castle at the top. Alternatively, one could ride in a two-horse carriage to go up for a reasonable fee. The ticket for the tour of the castle interior covers two castles: Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau; the latter is situated near the ticket booth at the foothill. Unfortunately, no photo-taking is allowed inside both castles, I could very well understand why. But the guided tours provided good background for the visitors of how the castles came to be with informative descriptions of the rooms and their furniture, paintings, purpose, etc. If you go during winter like I did last week, the minus 6-10 deg C weather makes the journey up more interesting (or challenging), and the journey down near sunset shiveringly cold. I could see some visitors, who were not adequately dressed for the cold like my family and I did, struggling with it. The scenery is spectacular, to say the least, with thick snow on all sides and beauty which is hard to match. For me, being city born and raised, Beauty has been re-defined. The culture and history is both deep and amazing; the engineering feats to build the castles on top of high hills or mountains, hard to imagine or fathom. The advantage of going there in the midst of winter is there are far fewer visitors and tourists. If you were to go in summer, the crowds could dampen the joy and the queues, perhaps like Disneyland or Disneyworld in summer, only, you can't get a Fast-Pass to jump queue (officially).

Never visit a real castle for my whole life .. Time to update the bucket list haha

Happy New Year MacVince!

macVince this is a very nice thread you have going bro. I really like your brown paper bag from Kansas. I'm right below Kansas and know those drills very well! :sweat:

Your panorama cow image and the story with it really caught my attention. Cows are neat critters. As for mooing you ought to see what they do when a round up happens and they cut the calves from the herd. Those mama cows will make camp wherever those calves were picked up from and moo incessantly for about a week or two. They are used to human beings usually and a human to them means food this is why they probably approached you the way they did.

Great photos please share more of your work with us!

macVince this is a very nice thread you have going bro. I really like your brown paper bag from Kansas. I'm right below Kansas and know those drills very well! :sweat:

Your panorama cow image and the story with it really caught my attention. Cows are neat critters. As for mooing you ought to see what they do when a round up happens and they cut the calves from the herd. Those mama cows will make camp wherever those calves were picked up from and moo incessantly for about a week or two. They are used to human beings usually and a human to them means food this is why they probably approached you the way they did.

Great photos please share more of your work with us!

Thanks for your comments and kind remarks. I'm glad you enjoyed some of these photos with their short notes. The travel experiences are as valuable to me as these photos which keep the memories alive.

:)