[macVince] Bit by Bit; Week by Week APAW 2015

(Beautiful) Butterfly

I went to Pulau Punggol Barat in an attempt to photograph the Pin-Tailed Whydah. While doing that, I walked through areas with many small yellow butterflies flying about. This one butterfly is much larger and has nice patterns and colours on the top and bottom of its wings.

#46a (13Jun15) Beautiful Butterfly
by Vince, on Flickr

#46b (13Jun15) Beautiful Butterfly
by Vince, on Flickr

The three photos of the Pin-Tailed Whydah (male) I posted in the World of Nature sub-forum could be viewed, if you liked, HERE.

Another Night Walk (with my G1X Mk II)

This time, I walked in the opposite direction from Parliament House to Liang Court and back. A very slow & easy stroll, with camera in hand, that was all. I looked at very ordinary things as I strolled.

#48a (16Jul15) Colourful Windows
by Vince, on Flickr
This building is one of the most photographed buildings in that area; it needs no introduction.

#48b (16Jul15) Sunset
by Vince, on Flickr
When the sun began to set, the sky turned amber with a soft glow.

#48c (16Jul15) Sunset
by Vince, on Flickr
And the soft glow turned richer and deeper as darkness began to set in.

#48d (16Jul15) Composite
by Vince, on Flickr
Just before sunset, I turned around and took a composite picture. This is how you should view it:
Firstly, see the Clock Tower; then examine the two lamp-posts on each side of it; then see Parliament House and the Singapore flag atop it; then see further afield at the 3 MBS tower blocks; and finally, see the Skypark atop the 3 towers. That was how I pictured it before clicking the shutter-release button.

#48e (16Jul15) Bridge Night Lights
by Vince, on Flickr
As I walked back to Parliament House, the colourful lights attracted me to take a snap of the bridge once again.

Blue Moon on 31Jul15

What is a Blue Moon? I didn't know what it was until yesterday when a friend alerted that a Blue Moon will appear tonight. A blue moon is not necessarily blue, it is pale grey or white at best but it is a full moon. On the average, once in 2.7 years (so I read) a full moon appears twice in the same month. It was supposed to be full moon at 6.42pm tonight, and moon-rise was at 7.10pm. Because of light drizzle and thick, moving clouds, I could see it at about 7.45pm. A dark orange coloured full moon rising, slowly climbing and turning towards grey or white. The only window of time I could take a clear unobstructed shot was at 8.45pm thereabout for less than a minute, after which, it went behind the clouds again, even until now (10.45pm).

#49 Blue Moon on 31Jul15
by Vince, on Flickr

Last edited:
SG50 NDP Flying Display Bonus Shot (01Aug15)

I was at Mount Faber yesterday for a walk and to take some bird photos. As I was about to leave, I took some bonus shots of the SIA A380 in SG50 livery and RSAF helicopters bearing the Singapore flag.

Happy 50th Anniversary Singapore :) Co-incidentally, this post is #50.

#50 (01Aug15) - SG50 National Day Parade Flying Display (Rehearsal)
by Vince, on Flickr

Last edited:
Chrysanthemums

I am back; I haven't been here in this thread for more two months. I've been quite occupied learning how to take bird photos during the past many weekends. I'm quite sensitive to the haze; thus I have to stop taking bird photos for a while.

I'll resume here with a set of 10 photos under #51; I hope Admin would not mind since I've lapsed for many weeks.

These were all taken with a Canon 70D mounted with an EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM Pancake Lens. Very nice, lightweight and fuzz-free; I use it like a Point-and-Shoot camera without having to zoom for a change and the weight difference from the bird photography tripod, lense and camera with battery grip is - to say the least - significant!

I have a guest appearing in some frames: Mr. Minion, all the way from Melbourne, came in a Happy Meal set there.

#51a (25Oct15) Chrysanthemums
by Vince, on Flickr

#51b (25Oct15) Chrysanthemums
by Vince, on Flickr

#51c (25Oct15) Chrysanthemums
by Vince, on Flickr

#51d (25Oct15) Chrysanthemums
by Vince, on Flickr

#51e (25Oct15) Chrysanthemums
by Vince, on Flickr

...../cont'd 2

Concluding Post

I apologise for not keeping up with the APAW schedule. I shall conclude this thread with a few recent photos I took and close with these. Thanks for viewing this thread from January 2015.

#52a (28Dec15) Meganebashi or Megane Bridge or Spectacles Bridge in Nagasaki
by Vince, on Flickr
This bridge was built in 1835 and is the oldest arched stone bridge in Japan.

#52b (28Dec15) The 1st Crossing upstream of Megane Bridge
by Vince, on Flickr

#52c (28Dec15) The 2nd Crossing downstream of Megane Bridge
by Vince, on Flickr

#52d (28Dec15) Christmas 2015 Light-Up in Fukuoka's Hakata City (Station)
by Vince, on Flickr

#52e (28Dec15) Christmas 2015 Light-Up in Fukuoka's Canal City
by Vince, on Flickr

Last but not least,
I wish you and your loved ones a belated Blessed Christmas and a Healthy & Fruitful New Year (2016).

My special thanks to Wong LP for encouraging me to continue with this thread earlier this year when I deleted it after a few posts.

The End

Last but not least,
I wish you and your loved ones a belated Blessed Christmas and a Healthy & Fruitful New Year (2016).

My special thanks to Wong LP for encouraging me to continue with this thread earlier this year when I deleted it after a few posts.

The End

Welcome my friend, hope to see more of your works in 2016!! Merry Christmas and a happy new year!