Macro vs extension tube vs close up filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
hirowen said:
Hmmm, what i am confuse here is that, when using extension tube, we cant AF, but can we use the MF, or we have to focus ourself by moving nearer and away? :dunno:

how about reverse ring? Can we use MF instead of focusing it by moving ourself? :dunno:

:D :D :D
just to clarify, i think that you can AF with extension tubes. you would notice on the extension tube that it has the little AF screw thingie on the top and bottom. however, i think that the kenko ones might not be compatible with AF-S lenses.

as for the reverse ring macro. just in case you're not sure exactly what this is, the 50f1.8 (or any 52mm threaded lenses) is mounted in reverse to the camera, i.e.

[camera] [BR-2a] [front of 50f1.8 --- rear of 50f1.8] [BR-3 optional] [filter optional]

there is essentially no communication between the front of the lense and the camera (nothing to do with the BR-2a, it's just an adaptor). therefore you would have to do everything manually (focus, meter, and fix aperature).

hirowen said:
Hmmm, what i am confuse here is that, when using extension tube, we cant AF, but can we use the MF, or we have to focus ourself by moving nearer and away? :dunno:

how about reverse ring? Can we use MF instead of focusing it by moving ourself? :dunno:

:D :D :D

with the reverse ring, you cannot use MF ring on the lens. set the MF to infinity and focus by moving the camera. so, effectively, there is only one subject distance available to you which you can manipulate using DOF.

with the extension tube, you can use the the MF ring to focus. but if am not mistaken, you cannot focus beyond a certain distance ie. you lose infinity focus.

i just thought of tele converters. they don't cause the minimum focus to increase right?

Status
Not open for further replies.