Macro vs extension tube vs close up filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackas_hero

Apr 22, 2006
i know that a true marco lens like the 60/2.8 will give very good results and 1:1

extention tubes do not contain any elements and on paper, it seems there's no reason it'll degrade image quality. also, in theory, it can go beyond 1:1. it is cheaper than marco lenses. what is the difference(like reproduction ratio, quality) if i use it on a 50/1.8 as supposed to a 85/1.8. it seems there's no reason why i should not get the kenko extention tube set.

close up filters, i assume like all filters, will degrade image quality to some extent. reviews say that the canon 500d is quite good. but it costs $200+. is it advisable to use step up rings on it? does it allow me to go 1:1 or beyond?

in many instances i wanted to shoot close ups but the best lens i have for the job is the 50/1.8. should i get a extention tube set to use on my 50/1.8(or 70-200vr??), the canon 500d or the real thing(60/2.8)?

thank you:)

MACRO man.... not marco (marco is my friend ;) ).

Also, term used in Nikon is MICRO.

Regards,
Arto.

i am also new to the field of macro photography. here are a few things i learnt through surfing the net...

extension tubes: no loss of quality but loss of light. you will lose anywhere between 1-3 stops. this might become critical because at these magnifications you want a high f stop for maximum dof while at the same time you might want high shutter speeds if you are handholding or if your subject is living :) also, if you want to preserve all focus and metering capabilities you will need a costlier set of tubes.

magnification = length of extension tube/focal length of lens. that should answer your 50mm vs. 85mm question.

close up filter: no loss of light but loss of quality if you use cheap filters or cheap lenses (it magnifies all lens defects). as you urself pointed out, good filters are not cheap! a good filter will not tremendously degrade your image quality.

reverse macro: i think you left out the possibility of reversing. you can either directly reverse a lens on the body, like the 50mm or you could reverse mount one lens on the other. in that case magnification= focal length of lens attached to body/focal length of reversed lens. in all cases, all lenses have to be of good quality. brand doesnt matter for the reversed lens. it is better to have a fast lens- f1.8 or faster as this will allow you to focus better and/or reduce chances of vignetting.

finally some examples of a 50mm reversed macro-
152828648_390de9dc66.jpg

152815095_3408a38f54.jpg

jackas_hero said:
i know that a true marco lens like the 60/2.8 will give very good results and 1:1

extention tubes do not contain any elements and on paper, it seems there's no reason it'll degrade image quality. also, in theory, it can go beyond 1:1. it is cheaper than marco lenses. what is the difference(like reproduction ratio, quality) if i use it on a 50/1.8 as supposed to a 85/1.8. it seems there's no reason why i should not get the kenko extention tube set.

close up filters, i assume like all filters, will degrade image quality to some extent. reviews say that the canon 500d is quite good. but it costs $200+. is it advisable to use step up rings on it? does it allow me to go 1:1 or beyond?

in many instances i wanted to shoot close ups but the best lens i have for the job is the 50/1.8. should i get a extention tube set to use on my 50/1.8(or 70-200vr??), the canon 500d or the real thing(60/2.8)?

thank you:)

I will preferred extension tubes to close-up filters. :cool: Of course, grab the 60mm F2.8 if possible :)

500D + your 70-200 VR is very popular and more flexible.

Most times you do not need to shoot at 1:1.

ortega said:
Just like coca cola - enjoy the real thing
$600 ~.~ i think i'll get a reverse ring to start off 1st. does it give me metering?

Hi,

Just read a detail comparision of what you need in the JUNE issue of the magazine Outdoor Photography. It will help in your comparision.

jackas_hero said:
$600 ~.~ i think i'll get a reverse ring to start off 1st. does it give me metering?
agree, see if you would like to do macro long term before investing in good glass
BTW macro is not really that expansive, wait till you try birding ...

now that is expansive

Ytd i went to a camera shop and try out the extention tube with the 50mm len, I found out that it cant autofoucus itself, i have to move myself to a certain distance in order to focus sharply. If i use a reverse ring with 50mm, will it be the same?

i do that even with a dedicated macro lens
focus first then move camera forward and backward to get focus

ortega said:
i do that even with a dedicated macro lens
focus first then move camera forward and backward to get focus

:eek: you mean even a dedicated macro lens has to be function in such a manner? It cant AF itself?

hirowen said:
:eek: you mean even a dedicated macro lens has to be function in such a manner? It cant AF itself?
the AF works but it is the camera that controls the AF,
if you are shooting people then the subject is big enough and the DOF is wide enough for the AF.

When shooting macro, your DOF is normally very thin
and if the AF sensor decides to focus somewhere else the your subject wil be OOF.
others might still use the AF but I prefer to use MF and move.
I find it faster. :dunno:

sohyp said:
Hi,

Just read a detail comparision of what you need in the JUNE issue of the magazine Outdoor Photography. It will help in your comparision.
where to get tt magazine?

hirowen said:
Ytd i went to a camera shop and try out the extention tube with the 50mm len, I found out that it cant autofoucus itself, i have to move myself to a certain distance in order to focus sharply. If i use a reverse ring with 50mm, will it be the same?
kenko extention tube can af. nikon cannot. reverse ring of course cannot af, the lens contacts and af screw are not even connected to the camera.

jackas_hero said:
where to get tt magazine?
The mag is available from Broders @ WheelLock Place. Should be available from Kinokuniya as well. :)

hirowen said:
dude, the extension tubes reduce the minimum focusing distance of the lense. esp for macro photography, this creates a very thin focal zone for you to work with. but by reducing the focusing distance, you are able to achieve closer shots. e.g. the 50mm's min focusing distance is reduced from approx 80cm to 8cm.

50mmwithextensiontubes.jpg

optically, this is superior to using closeup filters. but you would loose in terms of light fall off and flexibility compared to dedicated macro lenses.

p.s. using reverse mount, everything has to be done manually, focusing, metering, and aperature setting.

Cactus jACK said:
p.s. using reverse mount, everything has to be done manually, focusing, metering, and aperature setting.

Hmmm, what i am confuse here is that, when using extension tube, we cant AF, but can we use the MF, or we have to focus ourself by moving nearer and away? :dunno:

how about reverse ring? Can we use MF instead of focusing it by moving ourself? :dunno:

:D :D :D

hirowen said:
Hmmm, what i am confuse here is that, when using extension tube, we cant AF, but can we use the MF, or we have to focus ourself by moving nearer and away? :dunno:

how about reverse ring? Can we use MF instead of focusing it by moving ourself? :dunno:

:D :D :D

not sure about extension tube, but for reverse you can only do it yourself since the lens is NOT even directly connected to the body. they are link up by just a piece of metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.