Macro Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptor1

Sep 29, 2003
Singapore
kr.sg
Hi, learning on marco shoots here, just wondering, if you guys are shooting insects that move round alot (red ants.. etc), do you use auto focus or manual focus? If auto focus, is it continueous AF or just single AF? Was trying to capture some red ants crawing on the tree trunk just now.. and well, it seems all my shots are out of focus :( Either that or, its the legs/body/jaws that are focused, but not the head :(

I use manual focus and move the camera.
normally the DOF for macro is very very shallow
so you might want to consider using F16 and smaller

patience (lots and lots), comfortable shutter speed, accuracy ... and when in need flashlight

Does monopod help in this case?
PC170320-thumb.jpg

slightly larger size image @ http://providence.kr.sg/archives/PC170320.jpg

1/100 , f10. onboard flash

Actually. its around 2pm when i took this photo, in the end, the bg was black in color.. ?? This was already the most "in focused" image among the 40+ i took today :( And it still seemed not that focused enough compared to the 1s posted @ the macro gallery.
edit: no PS done at all.. just croped n saved.

Hi again, was trying new settings this time.. still can't get the sharpness found in the macros forum. Was wondering.. do you guys do sharpening via PS?
The sharpest img i got off my camera was this.
softspider.jpg

Care to tell me how to improve on the sharpness? Macro shooting sure is fun.. lots of things to learn!

For the ant photo try not to use flash to avoid dark background.
For the spider photo use F/16 or smaller to get the whole insect in good DOF.
Use a tripod to avoid hand shake.
Buy a macro lens for insect macro photography to get sharp image...;)

50mm F2.0 macro.. I believed this is a very good lense already.. proven by many.. Just that my skills arent there ... YET! haha..

Raptor1 said:
50mm F2.0 macro.. I believed this is a very good lense already.. proven by many.. Just that my skills arent there ... YET! haha..

Aiyo, if like that, my skills even worse liao. I cant get a clear shot... 1 out of 10 only leh. Imagine by then the insect would have crawled away or jump onto my lens....:)

1 out of 10 is good already.. i am getting like 1 out of 30+++ :S
But still having fun.. even with the bites i get from the red ants/mosquitoes (someone remind me not to wear slippers and shorts for such shoots again..)
Seriously thinking of getting another gear to aid me in shooting... either a monopod or a ex-flash.. as i feel that each time i use an onboard flash.. it's either too harsh.. or give me a black bg, like the ants pic i posted.

you might want to try balancing the flash output with the ambient light
maybe a you can bounce the flash for a more natural looking light

don't worry 1 out of 30 or 10 is OK, it is the 1 that is important
just keep shooting and try different setups until you find one that works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.