Status
Not open for further replies.

spunkyboy

Jan 12, 2009
Hi all,

I am new to macro photography! but am deciding which lens should i get
I have to in mind that is within my budget
I will be using it with my Nikon D-80

1. AIS Nikkor 105mm Macro f2.8(the non VR)
2. Sigma 105mm Macro DG f2.8

Any Recommendations?

Thanks all in advance

do note that ...AIS Nikkor cant Auto focus on D80. being a manual lens. but i MF for all my macro anyway ...so...

Also note that the AIS version will not give you 1:1 magnification, unless you couple it with a Nikon 6T, which is pretty hard to find these days.

I'd say, just get the Sigma one.

is there any much different in terms of quality in sigma?
This is my first time getting a 3rd party lens

I think both choices are fine.. but you might want to get the tamron 90mm instead. i'm not a nikon user, but my friend uses it with his d90 and so far i can see it's a fine macro lens. just be sure to test the lens before purchase to make sure not bad copy.

then with the money saved maybe you might want to consider extension tubes, or an off shoe cord to get directional light with flash.

I've been down this road, and I've read tons of reviews for the Tamron 90, the Sigma 105, and the Nikkor 105 AF-D. The conclusion I got was that there's no big advantage by using Nikkor glass, and there's no big disadvantage by using 3rd party either, because for prime lenses these days, image quality will be very good.

If I got money, I'll get Nikkor. If no money, go for Sigma, Tokina, Tamron, all will do. If still no money, for for a Raynox if you already have a reasonable telephoto zoom like the 70-300. I'm personally satisfied with the pictures from a Raynox coupled with my old Nikkor 75-300.

Status
Not open for further replies.