Macro Lens...

Status
Not open for further replies.
mandom said:
So DP, wat kind of "cheap macro lens" do you use? nice decent shots though...
Hee...it ranges from a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 + Nikon BR-2A (cheapest) to a Nikon AF-S VR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED (most expensive).

In between those there are also extension tubes, reverse-lens coupling rings, macro lenses from other manufacturers etc, etc. It's an addictive hobby :cry: (well actually it's more than a hobby for me) but you can actually get pretty decent shots with something as simple as the 50mm f/1.8 with a Hoya +3, +4 or +10 close up adaptor.

This image for example was down with the 50mm and a +4 filter:

http://www.pbase.com/deadpixel/image/27396210

_

try 50mm + 4t. 4t is about the same as hoya +3, but at higher cost and much better quality imho

I love the 28-105 for macro shots, saves me money because I dont do macro very often, but when I do, the colours and bokeh (is that right?) are pretty sweet with this lens. It does cost $600 ish new though. But it is a great all round lens, I love it!

Here is one brand spanking new pic I took with it on Saturday.

65766139.jpg

OT, love that sun worship photo dp, the white and the blue really work well :thumbsup:

wildstallion said:
What about the Sigma 70-300 with Macro function? I believe its over the $200 budget though and around $300 IIRC
I believe Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO Macro DG is around $330. Around $200 is Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Macro, IIRC is $220 new one. Have macro function also.

But IMHO, Sigma APO is better than Tamron. Though Tamron is lighter than Sigma.

Regards,
Arto.

Thanx guys for sharing me the tips, I would definitely heed ur advice...now to find sponsor...hehehe...:D

mandom said:
Thanx guys for sharing me the tips, I would definitely heed ur advice...now to find sponsor...hehehe...:D
:heart: the 105mm Micro VR! After getting this, u wun want to buy another liao! ;p

ipin said:
:heart: the 105mm Micro VR! After getting this, u wun want to buy another liao! ;p
Yep, but the TS has a big budget constraint at the moment, so starting with a cheap and simple yet effective method with the 50mm f/1.8 + adaptor is sensible...after all, the 50mm will also serve the TS well in other areas. ;)

_

deadpixel said:
Yep, but the TS has a big budget constraint at the moment, so starting with a cheap and simple yet effective method with the 50mm f/1.8 + adaptor is sensible...after all, the 50mm will also serve the TS well in other areas. ;)

_
I seriously understand. And I recommend that one save up for it. This 105mm Micro by Nikon is :thumbsup: ! ;p :heart:
Not wanting him to SSS, but it's the quality that counts IMHO! :D

ipin said:
I seriously understand. And I recommend that one save up for it. This 105mm Micro by Nikon is :thumbsup: ! ;p :heart:
Not wanting him to SSS, but it's the quality that counts IMHO! :D

Just for curiousity, how much does the 105mm Micro by Nikon cost? Maybe I can scrape from my piggybank...;)

AF Micro 105mm f/2.8D - $1005
AF-S VR 105 f/2.8 Micro - $1230

the non vr version 2nd hand is seen selling from $400 - $750

slooow said:
AF Micro 105mm f/2.8D - $1005
AF-S VR 105 f/2.8 Micro - $1230

the non vr version 2nd hand is seen selling from $400 - $750

Thanx alot...it really made my day...hehehe...:)

mandom said:
Just for curiousity, how much does the 105mm Micro by Nikon cost? Maybe I can scrape from my piggybank...;)
Actually you need to know what you intend to shoot. Closeups as in figurines or nature closeups. The difference is the working distance. The 105mm will have a greater working distance because of the angle of view. Although it is ideal for shots where you can't get physically close enough, like for flowers or insects etc, it is not good for indoor shots where you do not have space to go further back.

Think about what you need first. Although the Micro105/2.8VR is a superb piece of lens, think about what you're going to use it for. For more general purpose shots or product shots, I would suggest the Micro60/2.8 instead.

lsisaxon said:
Actually you need to know what you intend to shoot. Closeups as in figurines or nature closeups. The difference is the working distance. The 105mm will have a greater working distance because of the angle of view. Although it is ideal for shots where you can't get physically close enough, like for flowers or insects etc, it is not good for indoor shots where you do not have space to go further back.

Think about what you need first. Although the Micro105/2.8VR is a superb piece of lens, think about what you're going to use it for. For more general purpose shots or product shots, I would suggest the Micro60/2.8 instead.

How much does this lens cost?:what:

i think that lens will cost in the region of 800-1K. Dont know exactly.

Get a Tamron90mm if you are on budget. A good lens and focal length.

Regards,
tltan

lsisaxon said:

or can get the Nikkor 70-180mm Micro for around S$1500 new. ;p
Zoom feature, means tou can take indoor and outdoor macro shots! ;)

ipin said:
ard $500. Look here ;)
IIRC, 2nd hand Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 Micro AFD is around that price. New one without Nikon warranty can be found on TCW for around $600. With Nikon warranty can be found on CP for around $660-680.

I have that one :thumbsup: .

Regards,
Arto.

depends on what the TS wants to shoot. If for insects, I find that its too short a focal length. Can shoot is can shoot, but more tedious. For flowers, its ok. For copystands, its good.

Would recommend a 105 for all round or cheaper T90.

Regards,
tltan

get the Nikkor 70-180mm Micro :thumbsup: liao!
:devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.