Macro: Do you generally use flash & tripod/monopod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyhifi

Aug 20, 2006
I just bought the Canon 100mm macro lens for my Canon 20D. Need to ask if people generally use flash and tripod/monopod to take those close up photos. I have got the Canon 420EX flash, but I think a direct flash will make the subject look 'hard'. Any suggestion what else do I need to get for the flash for those 'soft' lighting. Also, will a monopod suffice? Tried handheld but it is really a challange. My tripod is too heavy, so thinking of getting a light monopod.

Thanks in advance.

skyhifi

Aug 20, 2006
Hi Del_CtrlnoAlt. Would you be able to recommend which monopod and ring flash is good? Somehow, I would prefer short (when fully folded in) and light monopod. The Benro MC63 good enough?

Thanks.

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Feb 15, 2003
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
for beginners, a trysistor ring flash would be good, the sunpax one, i had 1 of those, now with my mom while she learn to shoot macro with the f828.

if you get more advance, a ttl one from canon would be better. not sure which version, since i'm not a canon user.

for monopod, i have a giottos 1 before, its a screw release type, so its kinda slow, upgraded to a Manfrotto 685B Neotec, with a 322RC2, and a thumb driven AF shutter release. so i could adjust angle, focus and shoot with just 1 hand. so technically leaving the other hand for manual focusing or zooming. combo is not cheap, monopod is about 200 when i bought, and the 322 have surged to almost 200, and the af release is not easy to find...

megaweb

Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
East
megaweb.clubsnap.org
I just bought the Canon 100mm macro lens for my Canon 20D. Need to ask if people generally use flash and tripod/monopod to take those close up photos. I have got the Canon 420EX flash, but I think a direct flash will make the subject look 'hard'. Any suggestion what else do I need to get for the flash for those 'soft' lighting. Also, will a monopod suffice? Tried handheld but it is really a challange. My tripod is too heavy, so thinking of getting a light monopod.

Thanks in advance.
Try 420EX with a diffuser like stofen Omni-Bounce , shoot direct with FE - 1

skyhifi

Aug 20, 2006
Thanks for the advise. I can give the Omni Bounce a try. How about the Gary Fong
Lightsphere? Is it any good?

Err...what is FE - 1?

skyhifi

Aug 20, 2006
for beginners, a trysistor ring flash would be good, the sunpax one, i had 1 of those, now with my mom while she learn to shoot macro with the f828.

if you get more advance, a ttl one from canon would be better. not sure which version, since i'm not a canon user.

for monopod, i have a giottos 1 before, its a screw release type, so its kinda slow, upgraded to a Manfrotto 685B Neotec, with a 322RC2, and a thumb driven AF shutter release. so i could adjust angle, focus and shoot with just 1 hand. so technically leaving the other hand for manual focusing or zooming. combo is not cheap, monopod is about 200 when i bought, and the 322 have surged to almost 200, and the af release is not easy to find...
Wah, your mum so hip, also a photographer? :)

I hope not to spend so much money for the time being. Your recommendations sound good, but I got to watch my pocket.

megaweb

Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
East
megaweb.clubsnap.org
Thanks for the advise. I can give the Omni Bounce a try. How about the Gary Fong
Lightsphere? Is it any good?

Err...what is FE - 1?
Lightsphere is good but its size is big which may cause distraction to the little creatures.

Sorry should be FC -1, flash compensate -1

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Feb 15, 2003
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
Wah, your mum so hip, also a photographer? :)

I hope not to spend so much money for the time being. Your recommendations sound good, but I got to watch my pocket.
nah, if i'm a hobbit, she is a newbie, and a super newbie...

she mainly shot around her garden for caterpillars and butterflies...

Jan 14, 2005
Monopod or tripod is a must-have for me.

Flash is on most of the time.

ortega

Staff member
Nov 2, 2004
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
flash yes but sometimes you can get better shots with ambient light
so it depends on the situation

monopod, sometimes, it helps to keep the camera steady
i should use it more

skyhifi

Aug 20, 2006
Thanks for all the advise. So I guess I have to go and buy a monopod and flash liao (hopefully the ring flash). Oh well, money 'fly' again =)

Anymore monopod and flash to recommend? Have been trying to read up more on macro. Where can I purchase the Gary Fong Lightsphere for the Canon 420EX?

skyhifi

Aug 20, 2006
Eh ortega, you stay in Punggol also? I am at Punggol Central =)

tltan

Apr 18, 2005
www.flickr.com
You have a tripod. Use it. the heavier, the more stable. nothing beats a stable stand. =)

For me, just my camera, a tripod, a cable release and my eyes. ;p no flash coz I have no flash yet.

Regards,
tltan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom