Macbook AIR !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing that strikes me when I read "what's in the box" is this...

* Cleaning/polishing cloth :think:

SO you pay $3k and spend your time using this cloth to clean and polish yr AIR and thinking about Paris Hilton? :sweat: How I wish Canon can include one in their cam....:bsmilie:

The cleaning and polising cloth is usually given with any product that is glossy by nature. even my cheapo compaq laptop has it hahaha.... and all samsung LCDs comes with it too, cause of the black gloss nature of their designs.

I think a lot of you are missing the point of them creating the Macbook Air.. There are a lot of people who do not need the power, ethernet, extra stuff etc.. they just want a notebook for them to carry around easily, do their emails, surf the web, organise their photos etc.. Actually isn't that most ladies?? So it does have it's market segment.. even some power users may want to get it for it's portability..

I think a lot of you are missing the point of them creating the Macbook Air.. There are a lot of people who do not need the power, ethernet, extra stuff etc.. they just want a notebook for them to carry around easily, do their emails, surf the web, organise their photos etc.. Actually isn't that most ladies?? So it does have it's market segment.. even some power users may want to get it for it's portability..

Agree with you on this one. The bulk of the power users will still go for the MBP.

But do you want to pay SGD 2988 for the lowest model for almost nothing? The thing has got nothing other than a CPU and HDD and screen, no driver. With the MBP at least it can do more.......why pay more? Just for the design.......????

The CPU/motherboard is so small it may actually be made smaller like the Kojinsha/Asus eeePC, but they wanted a bigger screen.......

HS

But do you want to pay SGD 2988 for the lowest model for almost nothing? The thing has got nothing other than a CPU and HDD and screen, no driver. With the MBP at least it can do more.......why pay more? Just for the design.......????

The CPU/motherboard is so small it may actually be made smaller like the Kojinsha/Asus eeePC, but they wanted a bigger screen.......

HS

You pay that amount for portability, less weight and its thiness. Its made to cater for different market. Its not for spec conscious buyer.

You pay that amount for portability, less weight and its thiness. Its made to cater for different market. Its not for spec conscious buyer.
That's what I mean, you pay for design, but portability means there is less inside, meaning again, you pay more for less?? I have an ASUS eeePC, and there is less inside, but I do pay less too! Perhaps they have very similar size motherboards. Are we suckers? I don't mind people buying it, but understand you pay more for less actually..........it is something I won't fall for.

Anyway, I recently had my Macbook back from repair and the service people told me that they had a lot of HDD failures! My machine was only one and a half years old, first few weeks already had my battery replaced, then now a HDD failure within such a short period, I really question their quality. The prices has gone down for the macbook, perhaps they had to compromise on the quality.......

I have been using Macs for 14 years, and the older ones were much more stable, and better quality, but these newer models really irks me from this brand.

And they advertise their extra warranty strongly as if they don't trust their own products????? :)

I wouldn't buy products at first launch anymore........

HS

And talking about my iMac G5 LCD problems is way OT here.........

what's wrong with paying for design and slimless?

If there are people out there who are willing to pay for features, I don't see anything wrong with paying for design and slimless leh.

Don't understand why features and spec are more worth the money than design? Maybe I shouldn't be studying design as people just don't appreciate design and not willing to pay. I better quit and become an engineer. :bsmilie:

If there are people out there who are willing to pay for features, I don't see anything wrong with paying for design and slimless leh.

Don't understand why features and spec are more worth the money than design? Maybe I shouldn't be studying design as people just don't appreciate design and not willing to pay. I better quit and become an engineer. :bsmilie:

You are in a thread that has more geeks then fashion victims heheh.... of course all you will see here is function over form remarks hehehe....

actually,

I would pay for slimness and design but there are basic requirements that portable laptop should have.

I feel the fatal flaw of the macbook air is not that it is not fast enough or anything but the battery issue. Short battery life and cannot be changed by the user..... I just cannot understand why they sealed the battery compartment. It is totally insane.

one year down the road, the battery will be < 3hours usage... then either have to live with it or buy a new battery every year.

Frankly, if they only let me carry a spare battery or has battery life similar to sony's ultraportable's (around 10 hours) then the laptop is attractive to me.

If you use the laptop everyday you will need several features the Macbook Air doesn't have. You still need to carry extra items if you want a DVD writer, etc......

Don't get me wrong that I don't want to pay for design (everything is designed by the way, from the simplest to the extraordinary), but there is something as 'function follows form' which I think is important.........you as a designer should at least know this philosophy. Design is not just aesthetics........

And the battery issue I think is a marketing one, they don't want you to use third party batteries, as they like you to buy all from them. Just the same with their policy of wanting to earn from the subscribers calls, thats why they locked their phones to the service providers.......

In the long run it is going to hit them, the same way long ago when they lost the war with PC as they didn't license out their computers and OS to third parties (they did for a while but it was way too late).

HS

actually,

I would pay for slimness and design but there are basic requirements that portable laptop should have.

I feel the fatal flaw of the macbook air is not that it is not fast enough or anything but the battery issue. Short battery life and cannot be changed by the user..... I just cannot understand why they sealed the battery compartment. It is totally insane.

one year down the road, the battery will be < 3hours usage... then either have to live with it or buy a new battery every year.

Frankly, if they only let me carry a spare battery or has battery life similar to sony's ultraportable's (around 10 hours) then the laptop is attractive to me.
You can buy those portable batteries in Sim Lim, think it can be connected to the Air

Status
Not open for further replies.