Mac or Win (for laptop)

Status
Not open for further replies.
the main problem that I'm afraid is when customers and peers send me a file from Windows in emails or thumbdrive then I need to convert them it will be problematic.:dunno:

Mc? I prefer Carl's Junior over Mc any time.

Haha can't help it.

Get a Mac.

My iBook G4 is still running after 3.5 years.

& Get the extended Apple Care as well. Good investment.

Beef up the RAM if you can.

If you are a student the Education discount is quite attractive.

No need, so far no problem in any words, powerpoints, Excel files

no prob so far on my mac.its more like windows like problems opening files from mac ;p

by the way its unfair to compare pc laptop prices to a macbook/ macbook pro etc. you really pay for what you get and also u do see expensive pc laptops with not very high specs. esp vaio ones.

the main problem that I'm afraid is when customers and peers send me a file from Windows in emails or thumbdrive then I need to convert them it will be problematic.:dunno:

winmail.dat is a huge PITA to explain to outlook users.

ok ok..thks for the tips! Now the macbook air is here, dunno should I stick to a macbox or this. I heard the macbook is not as gd as the macbook pro in terms of durability and performance.

ok ok..thks for the tips! Now the macbook air is here, dunno should I stick to a macbox or this. I heard the macbook is not as gd as the macbook pro in terms of durability and performance.

MacBook Air is not going to be as durable as either the MacBook or MacBook Pro but it's likely not going to be completely fragile, either.

Again, if you're concerned about editing photos, you'll not choose a glossy display and the MacBook and MacBook Air both have glossy displays, though you could run another monitor with either machine.

To me, the price of the MacBook Air suggests that I should definitely buy a MacBook Pro for the US$200 difference to get the increased (1440x900 over 1280x800) resolution.

ya I figured...but my main applications are not photos editing or video...just occasional updates for web and presentation. Mostly conferencing and biz applications like spreadsheets, powerpt, word. Hence reflect or not I'm not so concern. Mainly is I heard people told me the cheaper macs are very problematic, and the pros are a bit too huge for my carrying.

ya I figured...but my main applications are not photos editing or video...just occasional updates for web and presentation. Mostly conferencing and biz applications like spreadsheets, powerpt, word. Hence reflect or not I'm not so concern. Mainly is I heard people told me the cheaper macs are very problematic, and the pros are a bit too huge for my carrying.

The earliest MacBooks had lots of problems, to be sure, but that's not true of the latest. Apple had several issues with the various factories in China and they weren't inspecting the work there, until there were too many problems. Now, that they've had the bad press, they're more likely to make sure that problems are minimal.

Most people who complain about the currently available machines don't know how to use them properly. ;)

true lah....any 1 using macbook and is ok with the performance? I dunno how fast the processor are nowadays on Mac, but if some Photo editing and video editing is needed, macbook pro is the way right?

after much contemplation.. i bought a mac (very happy gal now)
and what's more, for those who are scared shitless knowing that their life without a mac is a big question mark, install bootcamp and get urself a windows OS ready.

u'll have both mac and wins..

but as far as i'm concern, i'm running mac most of the time.
unless there's really a need, i'd not bother to switch over to wins

Has anyone use a iMac for photoediting. Thinking of this config 20" screen, 2.4 Ghz C2D, 500mb Hdd, 256mb ATI card and 4 gig of ram. Additional software will be Nikon Capture NX and CS3. Appreciate any feedback

after much contemplation.. i bought a mac (very happy gal now)
and what's more, for those who are scared shitless knowing that their life without a mac is a big question mark, install bootcamp and get urself a windows OS ready.

u'll have both mac and wins..

but as far as i'm concern, i'm running mac most of the time.
unless there's really a need, i'd not bother to switch over to wins

At home, I have not been using Windows for years! :lovegrin:

Has anyone use a iMac for photoediting. Thinking of this config 20" screen, 2.4 Ghz C2D, 500mb Hdd, 256mb ATI card and 4 gig of ram. Additional software will be Nikon Capture NX and CS3. Appreciate any feedback

I was also considering this but it has a glossy screen which is not ideal. Capture NX is excellent and probably the best if you want to convert NEF files.

I was also considering this but it has a glossy screen which is not ideal. Capture NX is excellent and probably the best if you want to convert NEF files.

There are ways to cut glare. It depends on how much control you have over your operating environment.

Blackout curtains help a lot in this respect.
Also, unless you're REALLY sensitive, you learn to to tune out what little reflection is left.

There are ways to cut glare. It depends on how much control you have over your operating environment.

Blackout curtains help a lot in this respect.
Also, unless you're REALLY sensitive, you learn to to tune out what little reflection is left.

Thanks for the feedback. So, other than the glossy screen that may have reflection, I take it that there should not be much performance issue with regards to the setup.

Can actions created in CS3 (windows) be reused in a Mac
yup... photoshop scripts, on the other hand, come in 3 varieties, Java, Visual Basic, and AppleScript... the first works on both, while the second works only on Windows and the third on Macs... just fyi :)

true lah....any 1 using macbook and is ok with the performance? I dunno how fast the processor are nowadays on Mac, but if some Photo editing and video editing is needed, macbook pro is the way right?
I am using a Macbook now which I bought abt 2 months back.

Am very happy with the performance. I installed in 2GB ram myself from my old laptop. To get 4GB ram is only abt $180 from SGL Marketing in SLS. That store is quite popular among local mac users.

I run A3 size photographs averaging abt 20mb and up to 250mb sometimes. No problems with the performance. Color wise, it's ok with me since my commercial printer is quite good and able to suit my workflow.

Unless you run perverse video editting or combine Illustrator and Photoshop workflow, there's no reason you'll truly need a Macbook Pro, of course unless you got money to burn.

hi. guys. i'm new to mac, planning to get one for my sis since she isn't quite computer savvy.

but just one question: how come the macs (other than the super ex mac pro) dun seem to have the option of a faster graphics card? like 8800 series or the ati equilavent. wun it be quite a serious limitation for heavy games?

and do you think my 15 yo sis can switch to a mac easily without any reading? she uses vista and xp b4. if not, is there any one page manual like "all you need to know to switch to mac"? found a few online, but they really aren't "all you need to know".

Status
Not open for further replies.