Mac or Win (for laptop)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually the above links are not totally true. For photography enthusiasts, the mac is a great choice. The article talked about Windows being faster, but tests have been done, and found that macs can run Vista faster than a PC.

These articles are just opinions. When you need nothing more then image processing, Mac is fine. But as multipurpose platform, the PC a winner.

The article talked about Windows being faster, but tests have been done, and found that macs can run Vista faster than a PC.
Can you post a link to thist test, please? It's really interesting.

Great to see that there are actually a lot of Mac lovers in CS
=)
not me... its just that I have given up telling people Windows is a pretty decent OS... not to mention there are Windows laptops with much better screens than MacbookPros... and that Windows machines can be just as good at doing photo imaging as Macs... nobody believes me... ;p

nothing beats mac! :)
see what I mean... the koolaid once drunk intoxicates... too each his or her own :rolleyes:

How can the MacBook Pro be cheaper than the MacBook?

Sorry for my choice of words, i meant the Cheaper Macbook Pro as in the Lower spec macbook pro... not meaning macbook pro cheaper than macbook :)

This discussion is very old and, commonly, biased.
I want to offer read two articles, may be they're helpful

"PC vs. MAC"
"10 Essential Windows Tools For The Mac"

The first link is about 8-9 years out of date. My PowerMac G3 from 1999 uses a double speed PCI video card slot as was being described. My PowerMac dual G4 from 2002 used an AGP video card. Currently, the Mac Pro series (and internally, the rest of the lines) use PCI-Express, as do Windows machines.

These articles are just opinions. When you need nothing more then image processing, Mac is fine. But as multipurpose platform, the PC a winner.

Can you post a link to thist test, please? It's really interesting.

The fastest Windows Vista notebook we've tested this year (through 10/25/07) is a Mac. Try that again: The fastest Windows Vista notebook we've tested this year...

Source:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136649-page,3-c,notebooks/article.html

not me... its just that I have given up telling people Windows is a pretty decent OS... not to mention there are Windows laptops with much better screens than MacbookPros... and that Windows machines can be just as good at doing photo imaging as Macs... nobody believes me... ;p

I believe. But dunno why my PC just snailing down as the days go by. :cry:

bloated perhaps?

but seriously, with all the virus, trojans and stuff being aimed towards Windows, somehow i feel safer on the mac (unix like) platform..

er... actually, if you check around, there are actually quite a few laptops reviewed that are faster, and some cheaper... I just randomly searched for laptops with 4GB RAM and the T7700 processor that the MacBook Pro reviewed has and found this (unfortunately not available in Singapore) laptop which is faster and significantly cheaper than the MacBook Pro... I'm sure if more companies sent in similarly spec-ed laptops for review, including those available in Singapore (maybe a Dell XPS 1730 with similar specs), there would be some that would match if not beat the MacBook Pro's performance... that's the thing with reviews: they can only review what is sent to them... :)

I believe. But dunno why my PC just snailing down as the days go by. :cry:

There are two technological reasons Windows slows down: Registry corruption and disk drive fragmentation. There are other reasons, such as spamware, that could likely affect the performance of your machine, if you're not careful.

When I was watching the various Windows machines at the company where I worked, I found myself cleaning the Registry every few months and cleaning out temporary files. Windows XP will help you with temporary files, but leaves behind a tremendous number of files where it never looks.

Get a system maintenance utility to do some cleanup and after making a complete back up of your data, run the cleanup and you'll probably feel as though you have a new machine.

Thankfully, Mac OS X almost never gets into that situation. Various housekeeping duties are run occasionally and some disk de-fragmentation is run automatically when fragmented files are opened, plus the drive formatting is fragmentation-resistant and has been since 1985.

Well mac is good but i really should stress this, don't get the cheaper mac laptops. If you want to go cheap, go desktop. If not ur better off with the macbook pro. The quality is very very different, nowadays those cheap macbooks can be very problematic... Things has changed since Apple switched to intel.

Thankfully, Mac OS X almost never gets into that situation. Various housekeeping duties are run occasionally and some disk de-fragmentation is run automatically when fragmented files are opened, plus the drive formatting is fragmentation-resistant and has been since 1985.

To add a bit of context.

I've a Mac Mini 1.42ghz 512ram for 2.5 years. Used by 2 people. Never had to need to do troubleshooting. It still runs at more or less the same speed as day 1.

Sorry to hi-jack this thread since we are all enquiring the same thing.

I'm needing a notebook....for work. I need to surf a lot, do quite a fair bit of graphics altering and at the same time, do powerpoint, word and excel spreadsheet stuffs. I'm incline on trying a macbook (13" is big enuff for me, I have weak hands) but I dunno whether will the biz applications as easy to use as microsoft office and firefox.

Thks!

You can still use microsoft office on MAC :lovegrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.