M1 Broadband

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi, it is 384k... wireless... confirmed slow one ! if u want fast get maxonline express.. 6MB ! :thumbsup:

I was using 256K wif singnet previously and it was ok. Still can play online games..

But M1 wireless BB is horrible...

My colg went to sign up. :eek:

Now regretting... Lucky its only a 6 month contract.

if u use it to play online games, of course cannot make it lah....i use it for emails and just normal surfing...still ok

I quit singnet jetpack 512kbs for the M1 broadband 384. real regret!

M1 is worst than 56.6k, with network jam all so frequent. Loading M1 site is OK , attaining > 200kbs is possible. For other sites, especially international sites, the hog is way too long. I called up, and they will waive my current month's subscription.

M1 is worst than 56.6k, with network jam all so frequent. Loading M1 site is OK , attaining > 200kbs is possible. For other sites, especially international sites, the hog is way too long. I called up, and they will waive my current month's subscription.

u pay $22 for 384K speed, why not pay $57 for 6MB speed by Maxonline, isn't it better in cost for quality ?

:think:

But r u still under the 6 months contract ?

U mean u cancelled the subscription ?

From what i heard, town area is still ok. But housing area is nonsense.. Go take a peep at the complains at HWZ...

But r u still under the 6 months contract ?

U mean u cancelled the subscription ?

From what i heard, town area is still ok. But housing area is nonsense.. Go take a peep at the complains at HWZ...

i am using it at Raffles Place... so far ok.

hi, it is 384k... wireless... confirmed slow one ! if u want fast get maxonline express.. 6MB ! :thumbsup:

I am not really fedup with it being slow. Am fed up that it cannot display the pages. or, it loads halfway.

they say they will give me a reply after 7 days and claims that they will improve the speed. i am hoping for that ..

I am not really fedup with it being slow. Am fed up that it cannot display the pages. or, it loads halfway.

they say they will give me a reply after 7 days and claims that they will improve the speed. i am hoping for that ..

7 days will soon be 7 weeks... :think:

wah ... they waive how long ah?

M1 to drop 'unlimited' from plans
Instead, it will put in 5 GB a mth free download cap from April 1
Roland Lim
1 March 2007
Business Times

Following customer complaints that its 'unlimited' wireless broadband access plan launched in December last year was not truly unlimited, M1 yesterday announced that it intends to drop the 'unlimited' from its plans and, instead, put in a 5 GB per month free download cap.

The change, which will kick in from April 1, will affect the more than 10,000 customers currently on its M1 Broadband service.

Customers who exceed the 5 GB limit will have to pay $4 per GB for an additional 5 GB of downloads, after which 'they will be advised by M1 to keep within the limit as they may otherwise face suspension of service'. 'We will also explain that we will not be able to support those who have needs beyond the capacity that we can offer,' said an M1 spokesman.

'We have imposed a cap of 10 GB to ensure that we will be able to offer a satisfactory level of service to all our broadband customers,' said the spokesman. 'Our findings indicate that 98 per cent of customers do not need or use more than 5 GB of data.

Currently, M1 has a 'fair use policy' that limits its 'unlimited' wireless broadband plans to free downloads of up to 2 GB, after which M1 could charge the user additional usage charges. However, M1 said in its statement yesterday that in practice, no customer has ever had to pay extra for exceeding the 2 GB-usage limit.

The monthly subscriptions for the three M1 Broadband plans will remain at $22, $38 and $68 for download speeds of up to 384 Kbps, 1.8 Mbps and 3.6 Mbps respectively.

Earlier this year, Neil Montefiore, chief executive of M1, said that its M1 Broadband service is expected to help it grow data revenue.

M1's wireless broadband access service operates on its high-speed downlink packet access (HSDPA) cellular network, which is commonly referred to as 3.5G technology. M1 is the only telco here to offer a commercial HSDPA service.

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/bizit/story/0,4574,225960,00.html

Finally enough people made enough "noise" so that M1 is now taking away it's marketing ploy. A limited "unlimited broadband usage" plan is a joke. The worst part is that the word "Unlimited" is very prominent everywhere in their advertisements and website but the "fair use policy" is not. This is very misleading.

It is either limited or unlimited and cannot be both. There is no grey area. As long as there's a restriction somewhere and no matter how small the restriction is, it is no longer unlimited.

you are using a RF device...no one can promise you the max speed u will get...what is get is UP to 384kbps...and the diff is that you can use this as long there is RF coverage...
The speed is not based on the RF device lah! WLAN also RF device mah! ADSL and Cable also RF device mah!

I believe M1's internet gateway capacity is not enough to handle large amount of data. They are not an ISP like Singnet, Pacnet and Starhub. But that might change if there is more demand for data capacity. I think M1 BB is good for people who are always on the move. For those who wants to use it from home, stick with ADSL or Cable.

M1 to drop 'unlimited' from plans
Instead, it will put in 5 GB a mth free download cap from April 1
Roland Lim
1 March 2007
Business Times

Following customer complaints that its 'unlimited' wireless broadband access plan launched in December last year was not truly unlimited, M1 yesterday announced that it intends to drop the 'unlimited' from its plans and, instead, put in a 5 GB per month free download cap.

The change, which will kick in from April 1, will affect the more than 10,000 customers currently on its M1 Broadband service.

Customers who exceed the 5 GB limit will have to pay $4 per GB for an additional 5 GB of downloads, after which 'they will be advised by M1 to keep within the limit as they may otherwise face suspension of service'. 'We will also explain that we will not be able to support those who have needs beyond the capacity that we can offer,' said an M1 spokesman.

'We have imposed a cap of 10 GB to ensure that we will be able to offer a satisfactory level of service to all our broadband customers,' said the spokesman. 'Our findings indicate that 98 per cent of customers do not need or use more than 5 GB of data.

Currently, M1 has a 'fair use policy' that limits its 'unlimited' wireless broadband plans to free downloads of up to 2 GB, after which M1 could charge the user additional usage charges. However, M1 said in its statement yesterday that in practice, no customer has ever had to pay extra for exceeding the 2 GB-usage limit.

The monthly subscriptions for the three M1 Broadband plans will remain at $22, $38 and $68 for download speeds of up to 384 Kbps, 1.8 Mbps and 3.6 Mbps respectively.

Earlier this year, Neil Montefiore, chief executive of M1, said that its M1 Broadband service is expected to help it grow data revenue.

M1's wireless broadband access service operates on its high-speed downlink packet access (HSDPA) cellular network, which is commonly referred to as 3.5G technology. M1 is the only telco here to offer a commercial HSDPA service.

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/bizit/story/0,4574,225960,00.html

5G ? hey... do u know applications now are very huge in sizes.. ?;(

its all marketying hype. 512mb, 1mbps, 1.5 mbps, all still get the same crapp download speed. ive tried practically all the different servce provider offerings over the years and really not noticed any significant difference.

i wish IDA would impost a requirement or lay down a standard download test that ISPs have to include in their publicitiy materials - say measure the download speeds at a number of specific locations at specified times and then take the average - that would give at least some kind of better indication than what the ISPs are currently claiming.

It was NEVER unlimited. As someone mentioned before, this is the only limited "unlimited broadband service" in Singapore. They had a "fair usage policy" from Day 1, except that it was hidden - they advertised it as "unlimited" but had a clause in the T&C that limits your usage.

I signed up for the lowest plan early Jan and used it mainly at home. It was definitely slower and unstable than my 56k dial-up. At least with the dial-up I did not get time-out issues.

I called and emailed M1 several times. They admitted that they were aware of the problem and working on it. I was told that it would be fixed by beginning of Feb-07. They waived my Jan-07 subscription since "our Broadband service has fallen short of your expectations". I quote their reply below.

--- Quote from M1 reply ---
We note your concern with regard to the Broadband slow speed issue. M1 is fully aware of the connectivity issues and currently working to resolve them. As such, we are unable to provide the estimate time of resolution. We seek your patience and understanding in this matter.
--- end quote ---

--- Another reply---
We appreciate the taken to write to us again. We wish to assure you that your feedback will be looked into and it will certainly assist us in our efforts for improvement.

While we realised that our Broadband service has fallen short of your expectations, we thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you better.
--- end quote ---

But in Feb, it's still slow & unstable. Got fed-up and requested to terminate w/o paying the penalty or Feb subscription. Finally they agreed! The only thing M1 did not agree was on the refund of SIM card registration fee. I took it as my lesson fee for being an early adopter :(

My conclusions are:
- M1 just want to be the first to launch the 3.5G service
- M1 just concentrates on CBD area. Heartlanders just have to wait

Btw, Singtel mioVoice also currently having problems (admitted by their tech support). If you want to sign-up for their mio plan, better keep your fixed line. As with other new tech, just need to wait till it becomes stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.