LX3 Users Discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I'm new here and a new LX3 owner. So i've read that the Nikon WC-E68 works okay on the LX-3 for extra wide angle. I will get one soon! Has anyone tried a similar one for telephoto? If so what are the results? This one is a 2x adaptor for the same Nikon camera. Nikon TC-E2 2X Teleconverter Lens for Nikon 4300, 4500 & 5000 Hopefully someone can try this as telephoto is this camera's main weakness.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-TC-E2-Teleconverter-Digital-Cameras/dp/B00004U8LL/ref=pd_bxgy_p_text_b

Must check if the threads can fit. i.e 46mm? 52mm? Cos diameter smaller than 46mm (or even 52mm) will cause vignetting.

Also, do note that the LX3 lens retract when zooming in. So it will be further away from the tele. Some tele their lens are very near to the mounting threads, some got a recess like some of the Nikons early teles.

So choose wisely.

Hi I'm new here and a new LX3 owner. So i've read that the Nikon WC-E68 works okay on the LX-3 for extra wide angle. I will get one soon! Has anyone tried a similar one for telephoto? If so what are the results? This one is a 2x adaptor for the same Nikon camera. Nikon TC-E2 2X Teleconverter Lens for Nikon 4300, 4500 & 5000 Hopefully someone can try this as telephoto is this camera's main weakness.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-TC-E2-Teleconverter-Digital-Cameras/dp/B00004U8LL/ref=pd_bxgy_p_text_b

guys do u think using a dry cabinet is necessary for the lx3? if not, where do u guys keep yr camera and equipment??

guys do u think using a dry cabinet is necessary for the lx3? if not, where do u guys keep yr camera and equipment??

best if got dry cabinet... but if get one just for the LX3 i dun think worth the trouble and money...

dry box should suffice...
last time when i bought my first film SLR, super newbie, the camera never put in dry box or dry cabinet for TWO years also no fungus ... ha ha :)

If you read carefully, it's a tie for him between LX3 and G9, with his complaints coming from oversharpening. Also, there's no mention between what mode of LX3 is he shooting at.

Sharpening's easy to fix, just need to decrease default sharpening, as for zoom, I guess if you're looking for a general walkabout and worry about the reach, LX3 shouldn't even be in your plans?

Yes LX3's zoom is dismal, very disappointing considering the rest of the camera is fantastic. Hoping that Panasonic will come up with a telephoto attachment. As third party attachments dont work well at all.

Think problems lies with the 46mm tube. Its causing alot of vignetting issues. But 3rd party 52mm are coming out. I think it will solve 3rd party converter issues.

Yeah I don't know where you read the G9 is the winner, it was a tie. Even if both were equally good you'd get one over the other for different reasons. G9 if you want a bigger easier handling camera that zooms further and the LX3 if you wanted something more pocketable and wide angle with outstanding low light. When you factor in the HD video not even the G10 has that feature, so it's no contest. :nono:

hey guys i'm a newbie so bear with me...
I'm trying to take a pic of water droplets something like this pic
2824758986_2493cf6973_b.jpg

Camera: Panasonic DMC-LX3
Exposure: 0.002 sec (1/500)
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 12.8 mm
ISO Speed: 80
Exposure Bias: 0/100 EV

I followed the settings exactly but the pic pic came out very dark even though its brightly lit. Any other settings i've missed?

If you want to stay at this shutter speed and want it brighter then you can increase the ISO or open up the lens, or a combination of both.

Or use a flash...

well yeah but that's too easy hehe.. often you do want to keep the mood of the natural light and want to keep the look of the shadows. A little fill flash can help though.

Last edited:
Must check if the threads can fit. i.e 46mm? 52mm? Cos diameter smaller than 46mm (or even 52mm) will cause vignetting.

Also, do note that the LX3 lens retract when zooming in. So it will be further away from the tele. Some tele their lens are very near to the mounting threads, some got a recess like some of the Nikons early teles.

So choose wisely.

I'm also looking for a telephoto that can fit LX3 too... quick search on google -- the Nikon TC-2 is 28mm thread. Not sure if vignetting will be an issue.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._E6_Converter_Adapter_for.html#specifications

Last edited:
does anyone experience any problem with its focusing? it seems to me that it takes forever (a bit kua zhang) to focus. although the LCD has already focus the picture already, it re-focus when i press the shutter b4 taking a pic. is there anyway that the cam can focus faster or skip the re-focus?

or does this problem lies with my set only?

does anyone experience any problem with its focusing? it seems to me that it takes forever (a bit kua zhang) to focus. although the LCD has already focus the picture already, it re-focus when i press the shutter b4 taking a pic. is there anyway that the cam can focus faster or skip the re-focus?

or does this problem lies with my set only?

u have toggle on the macro mode, switch it back to normal af

Not surprised that the Canon is showing better output, even if its not touted for low noise reproduction.

Many of the low noise cams are over rated. I had a F31 (still have a F20) that I sold it off after owned it from 3 weeks. Reasons being the in-camera NR really take away a lot of details.

I took side by side shots with my mediocre Canon A510 and the samples told me how much details has been robbed off in F31. When I put through the Canon A510 images on Noise Ninja and do light NR, it still produces better pictures (more details at same level of noise) than the F31.

Another comparison that may surprise you (it surprised me): LX3 vs ixus 850IS

ISO200

ISO 400

ISO 800

ISO 1600

The 850IS actually produces cleaner, detailed output up to ISO 400. At 800 I think it's personal preference (I prefer the ixus to the oversharpened Lumix). At 1600 the Lumix is more usable I think, the ixus being too smudged.

Of course there's more to it than this: the 16:9, control layout, f/2 lens, OIS, custom settings, hotshoe etc. make the LX3 a very good compact overall. But looking at these image crops, I would say the ixus and F31 remain quite competent in terms of output. I would try turning down the sharpening on the LX3.

I also noticed that the live histogram and the recorded one don't tally. On focus lock, the exposure sometimes seems OK but the review histogram is darker.

The LCD is also deceptive. I've turned it down to -3 but images are still brighter and too saturated (especially red) than viewed on my laptop. What looked like red sunburn turned out to be good AWB after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.