Low Range DSLR Vs. High End Prosumer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prosumer cameras can't match with DSLRs so far. All the sensors in Prosumer cameras are too small for "good" quality. If your worry is on size, go for 350D + Tamron/Sigma 18-200mm lens. Quite a good travel companion already.

hmmm actually more keen to get a 300D instead...seems closer to my budget :) but everyone seems to be recommending a 350D and D70 :bsmilie:

is the price difference btw the 300D and 350D worth it?

wainism said:
i think it really depends on the bags ur willing to carry when u go travelling for biz or leisure. if ur biz trips dun allow u to carry a back pack and maybe just a pouch. maybe a compact is gd enuff

but for all things else...DSLR is :thumbsup:

no worries with that hehehe on a trip when I carry the f717 previously...I used to carry a external flash and a assortment of filters thus should not be a problem :)

camera Size:

the size of a low end DSLR w a standard lens is not very much bigger than a good high-end compact ( assuming you are not atlking about those ultra small or thin ones without manual control). Yet, it gives you a better range at the wider end. most compact starts at 35mm.

Sensor size: due to the sensor size. a DSLR at ISO400 can give a cleaner image than a compact at ISO 100. for this reason, even thought a DSLR may have a f5.6 lens, you can still boost the ISO and get a good shutter as compared to a f2.8 lens . go dpreview.com click on some DSLR and high end compact and you wil see that image noise of DSLR is superior.

control:

DSLR alllows user to have manual control easily due to layout cos its meant for this purpose. a compact may allow full control but usually you have to twist a few buttons to get the same thing as a DSLR.

Price:

if your budget allows DSLR, think its a better buy and gives you room for for future upgrade without have to lose too much.

I'm only worried about the hassles such as maintainence like do I have to clean the lens and body after user, do I have to clean the sensor regularly etc... :dunno:

i last time use to be a Prosumer camera user.... untill i bough my first DSLR which is the EOS300D... :cool:

The result is hmmm wat to say... 1 heaven 1 hell :bsmilie: ..

The quality of the pic is gd... although at first u might not use to there are so many button n setting... but play around with it... u will know wat a DSLR is for ;)

rebbot said:
I'm only worried about the hassles such as maintainence like do I have to clean the lens and body after user, do I have to clean the sensor regularly etc... :dunno:

yes... taking care of your camera is a must for DSLR, or should i say.. all the electronic stuff must be well taken off in order for them to work to their best...

Get a Dry Box, cleaning kit...

rebbot said:

Uh... it's not a bicycle... so no need to relube, degrease or calibrate anything. Just keep it clean and dry if you want to use it for longer time. That's all.

I think the only 'problem' with dSLR is that it is big. You have to get over the fact that everytime you take your camera out of your bag, people will react by looking at what you gonna do next or run away to avoid being shot. But that is their loss, cos you could have taken a really nice picture of them that they'll wanna keep ;)

rebbot said:

just assumed that you bought a non interchangeable lens DSLR and DONT remove the lens and you will have no dust problems! :D just a mindset shift. compact can't be clean. DSLR CAN. but if you prefer dust free environment then dont change lens! you will still get better range, better quality(technical) photos and faster camera response time. being able to clean is a feature not a fault! ;)

one thing that is not mentioned is the perspective and depth of field of the lens.

due to the smaller sensors, the compacts use wider angle lens but only the center portion to get the telel effect. with wide lens, it is hard to get a shallow DOF even if you are talking about f2-2.8.

the same reason why some ppl still prefer full frame or medium format cos a medium format portrait lens is 150mm and give a very undistort ( don really know how to explain this) perspective and a very good control of DOF even though most lens starts at f4.

you may wanna look into this.

Thanks for all ya comments~ guys Really appreciate it hmm saw a couple of deals in the b&s forum :) not too bad

just wondering which one would be better the 300D or the D70? in terms of functionality and size of course...no brand preference here :)

should I get the kit or just the body alone? are kit lens any good seen some really extreme comments both good and bad hmmm

rebbot said:
Thanks for all ya comments~ guys Really appreciate it hmm saw a couple of deals in the b&s forum :) not too bad

just wondering which one would be better the 300D or the D70? in terms of functionality and size of course...no brand preference here :)

should I get the kit or just the body alone? are kit lens any good seen some really extreme comments both good and bad hmmm

Actually, D70 & 300D somehow abt the same, except that D70 come with ED lens... where 300D come with normal plastic lens... from wat i had tried so far... 300D is much easy to operate...

espn said:
No need to compare. The lousiest DSLR will still win a prosumer DC flat. Hands down. :)

And the lousiest DSLR will still be more expensive the a prosumer digital.
Hands down :sticktong

With your budget, get a 2nd hand 300D and save the $ for some good lenses and a flash.

if u know nuts abt photography, start with a prosumer and work your way up like me...started with a Pro90IS and after a long long time...abt 4 years later then I changed to a 20D recently...it will shorten your learning curve.

n0d3 said:
With your budget, get a 2nd hand 300D and save the $ for some good lenses and a flash.

I was thinking of that but do you think I should get it with the kit lens or just save the money for a better lens :)

dragos said:
if u know nuts abt photography, start with a prosumer and work your way up like me...started with a Pro90IS and after a long long time...abt 4 years later then I changed to a 20D recently...it will shorten your learning curve.

been there and feeling a little frustrated with the functionality offered by some prosumers now...which was why I was looking at the A200 and F828 but given that price range it seems more logical to try out a 2nd hand DSLR :)

espn said:
No need to compare. The lousiest DSLR will still win a prosumer DC flat. Hands down. :)

Are you sure? Do not talk big. You tried using a D30 and 28-105/3.5-5.6 compared to an Olympus 8080?

IMO, there is nothing to compare since you will need to pay for the lens that will work well with DSLR and it will be much more expensive. If you can afford go ahead but make sure you really need it instead of being lead to believe that it is good and you need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.