Loud "pop" sound on 450D

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildchild

May 15, 2009
I don't know what happen to my 450D when suddenly using the flash in it.
I used the flash and when I press the shutter button to flash it, a loud "pop" sound occur and the 'error 99' appears.
Now whenever I use the flash, it stated "busy" and there will be error 99. It does not have it without using the flash though.
Already tried to change new batt, take out the lens, mmc card but still doesn't do any change.
I need help!
Thx

Bring it to CSC...

A blown capacitor?
Better be careful. Some serious voltage in there.

I used the flash and when I press the shutter button to flash it, a loud "pop" sound occur and the 'error 99' appears.
Now whenever I use the flash, it stated "busy" and there will be error 99. It does not have it without using the flash though.
Already tried to change new batt, take out the lens, mmc card but still doesn't do any change.
I need help!
Thx

Hi wildchild...welcome.

error 99 is usually associated with the contact points. Take the following steps:
(1) Remove memory card.
(2) Remove batteries.
(3) Remove Lens.
(4) Use lint free cloth. Soak in IPA and clean all electrical contacts on the camera body and lens. Careful not to introduce dust/dirt into the sensor assembly. Electrical contacts are all those gold coloured tingy you see along the rim of the camera body and lens assembly.
(5) Hard reset the 450D

Hope that helps. The loud sound you hear is the lock up.

I need help!
Thx

Sounds like the flash tube has gone. CSC to repair for sure.

wildchild didn't mention anything about burning smell. So it is assumed not to be the flash tube. Anyhow I used to use the 450D and had encountered the loud sound before and the problem is that the shutter lock up. This is caused by the contacts as I usually change my lens often and it somehow cause the error 99 to show up.

Flash tube blown?
It sound really loud, yes like a tube being blown sound.
So how much does it cost to repair actually?
Any thoughts?

Flash tube blown?
It sound really loud, yes like a tube being blown sound.
So how much does it cost to repair actually?
Any thoughts?

Have you followed hotwork77's suggestions?

If it is the tube, I would estimate $100+

Ouh ya, it doesn't have any burn smell btw.
As for hotwork's 77, maybe it happens the same way.
But how do I overcome it?
Now everytime I use flash, there will be error 99.:(

Ouh ya, it doesn't have any burn smell btw.
As for hotwork's 77, maybe it happens the same way.
But how do I overcome it?
Now everytime I use flash, there will be error 99.:(
buy an external flash. lolx

Anyway, bring ur 450D down CSC and let them diagnose to fix. Hope yours is still under warranty.

thats why its called a 'pop' up flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.