looks like Pentax name will be remain and something new in Oct?

I guess FF lenses should not be too difficult, just dust off the FA toolings some more FA ltds are still in production.

Worst-case scenario: Hand-painted K-5 (like what they did for 645D)!

Here is the answer:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/161644-salon-de-la-photo.html

Some small talk:
- The print on the invitation about a new product was a simple mistake.
- There will be no new product this year.
- There will be maybe something new in januari, but we don't have to worry about waiting untill PhotoKina.
- The Pentax camera division will not merge with the Ricoh cameradivision in the coming year.

Here is the answer:

they also shared a wish-list with Yazid Belmadi, Pentax France Division:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/161644-salon-de-la-photo.html#post1674696

1. DFA*1.4x Tele Converter.

2. SDM-II design with more reliabillity and faster Auto Focus and implementing them into the current SDM lenses and future new SDM lenses.

3. DA 24mm/f2.0 WR

4. DA*85mm/f1.4

5. DA*135mm/f2.0

6. DA 135-400mm/f4-5.6 WR

7. DFA*500mm/f5.6

9. DFA*200mm/f4 macro

point 1 (teleconverter), point 2 (better SDM, faster AF) and point 3 (DA24WR) makes sense.

point 4 (85mm f1.4) and point 5 (135mm f2), i dunno. makes sense for FF, but not really for crop?

point 6 (135-400 superzoom), hmmm... i really wonder...

point 7, (500mm prime), agree with the conclusion - more to fill up a gap than something that will sell a million copies...

point 9 (long macro), i personally would buy it in a heartbeat but it is admittedly low on pentax's list of priorities.

overall, looks like business as usual. nothing exciting, nothing alarming.

even if they don't merge the 2 divisions, i do hope that pentax learns a thing or 2 from ricoh with regard to firmware updates. ricoh's approach is very good - very clear on what the changes are, and the functional enhancements kicks @ss :thumbsup:

Just wait and see lah. After merging into Ricoh, Pentax is going nowhere but up up :cool:

they also shared a wish-list with Yazid Belmadi, Pentax France Division:

point 1 (teleconverter), point 2 (better SDM, faster AF) and point 3 (DA24WR) makes sense.

point 4 (85mm f1.4) and point 5 (135mm f2), i dunno. makes sense for FF, but not really for crop?

point 6 (135-400 superzoom), hmmm... i really wonder...

point 7, (500mm prime), agree with the conclusion - more to fill up a gap than something that will sell a million copies...

point 9 (long macro), i personally would buy it in a heartbeat but it is admittedly low on pentax's list of priorities.

overall, looks like business as usual. nothing exciting, nothing alarming.

even if they don't merge the 2 divisions, i do hope that pentax learns a thing or 2 from ricoh with regard to firmware updates. ricoh's approach is very good - very clear on what the changes are, and the functional enhancements kicks @ss :thumbsup:

Ticks all by check boxes actually.

Fast 85mm and 135mm, I have both FA ones. Still an unbeatable look and performance from both esp. the 85/1.4, don't care crop or no crop. Just looks great when given enough subject distance.

XXX-400 f5.6 type zoom and 500/5.6 , needed to fill the gap for people who dabble in long range shots (esp. birding) but don't do it enough to justify a serious 500/4.5.
Lighter and smaller too.

But wish list is useless, I think Pentax/Ricoh already have their priorities worked out, just what it is and whether they want to share that info with us via a roadmap.

Ticks all by check boxes actually.

Fast 85mm and 135mm, I have both FA ones. Still an unbeatable look and performance from both esp. the 85/1.4, don't care crop or no crop. Just looks great when given enough subject distance.

XXX-400 f5.6 type zoom and 500/5.6 , needed to fill the gap for people who dabble in long range shots (esp. birding) but don't do it enough to justify a serious 500/4.5.
Lighter and smaller too.

But wish list is useless, I think Pentax/Ricoh already have their priorities worked out, just what it is and whether they want to share that info with us via a roadmap.

i see... my thinking abt the 85 and 135 is that they seem a bit long on crop but based on your experience, i suppose it could be useful :)

as for the long zoom, yes, i suppose there's a niche... but imo, i think its more of a bridge ;) to poison pple to eventually graduate to a 500mm.

agree that they probably have given their priorities some thought as the take-over was announced months ago and the new owners must have had a chance to think through what they wanna do moving forward or even communicated some of their priorities to key managers in the new division ahead of the official d-day.

next big event to look out for would be photokina in 2012 :cool:

WR for 16-45 will be sweet! Good for fishing!

WR for 16-45 will be sweet! Good for fishing!

i thot the 18-55 WR is already great for that purpose? not that much slower than the 16-45 F4 too...

anyway, fishing = salt water? better have a bottle of clean water on standby and rinse after the shoot ;) give your K5 a bath and watch your friends' shocked expression.

Been there done that, and shot a few jumping sailfish and peacock bass along the way :) And btw, jumping fish shots are not easy and K5 takes the cake.

18-55 is good, but my 18-135 is even better! I really need a wider angle (16?) for small boat use and to make the fish look larger and the composition more dramatic. Hopefully the rumored 12-35 wr will materialize.

Been there done that, and shot a few jumping sailfish and peacock bass along the way :) And btw, jumping fish shots are not easy and K5 takes the cake.

18-55 is good, but my 18-135 is even better! I really need a wider angle (16?) for small boat use and to make the fish look larger and the composition more dramatic. Hopefully the rumored 12-35 wr will materialize.
DA* 16-50mm f2.8? if i manage to upgrade to a k5 next year, a WR 12-35mm would be perfect for caves and mountaineering..

Last edited:
Just wait and see lah. After merging into Ricoh, Pentax is going nowhere but up up :cool:

I hope you are not referring to the prices!

So no news from germany side ?