Looking for a Wide prime and Zoom prime

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanlim

Oct 28, 2005
NEL
Any recommendations?..hopefully, NIKON!!<33 and as low a F/stop as possible.would get them together. Dont bother with the 50mm have already.
Budget not a prob.

What do you guys think about
Wide:
AF 35mm f/2D - $500
or
AF 24mm f/2.8D - $560
or
AF 28mm f/2.8D - $375

Zoom:
AF 85mm f/1.8D - $615

Non-primes
AF-S DX VR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED - ($390~$410)

AF-S VR 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED - $950

AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED - ($850~$870)

a BIG THANKS!:D

Unfortunately, none of the wide primes you have listed are actually wide enough. A 20/2.8 may be considered wide but even that is tighter than any of the 18-xxx lenses.

Zoom prime? I suppose you mean telephoto primes and you may want to consider the 105/2.8 or 105/f2 but not sure if they are within your budget.

May wanna consider the 28mm f/1.4? Seriously 28mm is not that wide also, you'll probably want something <18mm like the 12-24 if you can live with f/4.
For zoom, maybe the 17-55mm f/2.8 would be something a little wider than the 28mm.

Picture taken from Ken Rockwell's Site

The words "zoom prime" are a total oxymoron.

Budget not a problem? Why don't you just get the 14mm f2.8......

OMG, that cost about the same as the trinity lenses :eek: Might as well compromise with f4 and get the 12-24 with lots of change.

If budget not a problem, consider either the 17-35mm f/2.8 or the 17-55mm f/2.8 DX for the wide (note; not superwide). I can't atest to it 'cos I did not compare myself but many are of the opinion that the modern wide-angle zooms outperform the AF primes (with the possible exception of the AF 28mm f/1.4) unless you are don't mind the MF equivalents.

For the superwide, consider either the Tokina or Sigma equivalent. Somehow, I just couldn't bite the bullet for the Nikkor$$ viz-a-viz plastics.

No comment for the telephoto primes or zooms.

if i didnt have to consider the cost, i would go for the 14mm 2.8, if money was a small concern, i'd go for for the 17-35mm 2.8. if i had a tigher budget, i'd go for a 28mm 2.8 on a film body. cheap and certainly gets the job done!

There is no zoom prime. Zoom lens or Prime lens only.

Regards,
Arto.

There is no zoom prime. Zoom lens or Prime lens only.

Regards,
Arto.

paisehh...young noob here.
and umm i already have the 12-24 Nikon.
however, i was covering an event the other day. felt that f/4 still too high >.<
i also used a 90mm prime f/2.8 .. still feel that Nikon's 50 mm f/1.8 sharper :D
thus, i am looking for a wide prime, and a telephoto prime...or whatever you call it..heehee :embrass:
and about budget wise, a couple of thousands? i cant go buying TWO trinities or something... so i take my comment on the " budget not of concern back"

however, i was covering an event the other day. felt that f/4 still too high >.<
i also used a 90mm prime f/2.8 .. still feel that Nikon's 50 mm f/1.8 sharper :D
thus, i am looking for a wide prime, and a telephoto prime...or whatever you call it..heehee :embrass:
and about budget wise, a couple of thousands? i cant go buying TWO trinities or something... so i take my comment on the " budget not of concern back"

why dont you get a 17-55mm which may be quite ex

really no comments on which wide prime is better?

really no comments on which wide prime is better?

Depends on how wide you need.

20mm?
14mm??
or the 10.5mm for DX

covering events? with a tele prime? VR helps. try the 105mm F2.8 VR, sharper than the 50mm 1.8 :p

covering events? with a tele prime? VR helps. try the 105mm F2.8 VR, sharper than the 50mm 1.8 :p

for tele im more or less settled on the 85 seems very very well rated...as for wide, i already have the nikon 12-24...and 50 mm... so i would most probably settle for 28 or 35. in terms of sharpness and F stop build etc etc which one would you guys recommend?
the +- 7mm doesnot really matter

for a wide prime go for the 14mm f2.8

would not too wide? heehee..im aiming to do indoor shots, group photos etc... me and subject maybe even would be around 1-2m apart nia if i cover old folks home shots and such:D

Status
Not open for further replies.