Looking for a Wide prime and Zoom prime

Status
Not open for further replies.
for a wide prime go for the 14mm f2.8

I concur with ortega and Kit. Heh. Nikon is reknown for its wide primes.. and the 14/2.8 is about as good as it is going to get.

It surely won't disappoint... but the only question is, are you ready to fork out that amount of dosh for this wonderful piece of glass? :think:

paisehh...young noob here.
and umm i already have the 12-24 Nikon.
however, i was covering an event the other day. felt that f/4 still too high >.<
i also used a 90mm prime f/2.8 .. still feel that Nikon's 50 mm f/1.8 sharper :D
thus, i am looking for a wide prime, and a telephoto prime...or whatever you call it..heehee :embrass:
and about budget wise, a couple of thousands? i cant go buying TWO trinities or something... so i take my comment on the " budget not of concern back"

What ISO were you shooting at? Do you own a flash? What were the room conditions like?

If you're gonna be covering events on a regular basis, you may want to reconsider the usage of a prime, because of the issue of composition. Can your legs zoom you in and out fast enough to react to every thing you're supposed to capture? Can you swap lenses fast enough when you have to change from tele to wide?

What ISO were you shooting at? Do you own a flash? What were the room conditions like?

If you're gonna be covering events on a regular basis, you may want to reconsider the usage of a prime, because of the issue of composition. Can your legs zoom you in and out fast enough to react to every thing you're supposed to capture? Can you swap lenses fast enough when you have to change from tele to wide?

Lets see, i was shooting a concert at Victoria concert hall, ISO should have been pretty low that day. yes, i own a flash, SB-800.

About not walking on the stage to move closer, i do nt do it as i am not a school photographer (teacher invite me to be the band photographer) and i feel that it seriously spoils the mood to have a photographer blocking the view of the band playing.

Furthermore, i have two bodies D80 and D50 so a tele and wide prime thing isnt really a problem.

by the way, im only 15..if that means anything.

Cheers!:D

Lets see, i was shooting a concert at Victoria concert hall, ISO should have been pretty low that day. yes, i own a flash, SB-800.

About not walking on the stage to move closer, i do nt do it as i am not a school photographer (teacher invite me to be the band photographer) and i feel that it seriously spoils the mood to have a photographer blocking the view of the band playing.

Furthermore, i have two bodies D80 and D50 so a tele and wide prime thing isnt really a problem.

by the way, im only 15..if that means anything.

Cheers!:D

If it helps.. i use a 1.6 crop body with a good 135mm f2.. bringing it to 217mmf2, together with a monopod to beautifully cover indoor concerts without flash.

Back to the main topic, my vote goes to 17-35f2.8, the best money can buy you for that range. I even have a backup of that same lens.

If it helps.. i use a 1.6 crop body with a good 135mm f2.. bringing it to 217mmf2, together with a monopod to beautifully cover indoor concerts without flash.

Back to the main topic, my vote goes to 17-35f2.8, the best money can buy you for that range. I even have a backup of that same lens.

woa..thats like two trinities! solid :thumbsup:
and anw, i realised most digi compacts are starting to boast a 28mm instead of 35mm...
so in short, which lens is better in sharpness? 24 28 or 35 ?;)

Depends on the optical design. A good 24mm may be better than a poor 35mm..

woa..thats like two trinities! solid :thumbsup:
and anw, i realised most digi compacts are starting to boast a 28mm instead of 35mm...

I use the Nikkor 35 f2 very frequently as my walk about prime lens. My other favouurite prime is the Sigma 30mm f1.4. Both are excellent with the Nikkor shading it in the sharpness category and the Sigma trumping in bokeh.

the 35mm is "poor" ?

He's giving an example... there can be good ones from any of the focal lengths... just find the one you need best for your purpose...

Status
Not open for further replies.