Local food overseas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lensman said:
The thing is that my office is just a few mins away from LCG's shop at Pagoda Street. Everyday walk past, every other week buy $10 of their "scarp" BK - just for tibits. Couldn't care more. NOW, I had craving for it, also cannot find...

Yup, going to "take cover" in CZ during CNY. Work lah....

Cheers
Those scrap bak kua are nice. :)
I got 1kg for last year CNY because they sold out their whole piece one.

By the way which part of Czech are you at? Prague ??

there is this excellent place in Perth that serves really good laksa (on Sats). Taste like what you get in Singapore or better. It is opened by a singaporean.... can't remember the name, but it is on the way to Morley shopping centre.

Need to ask my friends for the name....

idor said:
In US its the worse...... except for LA, impossible to find mee rebus, laksa and other type of local dishes... my family used to send me prima deli packed versions.... until last year... US customs do not let pple mail food into US... My mum found that out when she bought the parcel to Singapore Post... anyone here who knows any other way to get those in US?

yo idor
trudat about the US.
only efficient way is to checkin processed food yourself and fly it back here.
i just recently carried in 35kg of sauces.

haagen_dazs said:
yo idor
trudat about the US.
only efficient way is to checkin processed food yourself and fly it back here.
i just recently carried in 35kg of sauces.

you know hor.... now they even changed the weight limitation liao... no more 35kg each.... think is now 20kg each bag....... they damn good at ripping off people man...... BTW hor you in NY.... I know NY got singapore/malaysia restaruant leh....

Talking about the US, I have tried this place called Old Penang in Chicago's Chinatown. The owner is a pure-breed Malaysian. Their laksa is the closest one I ever tried. Their satay, however, is another story. The spicy peanut sauce is so thick you can spread it like peanut butter.

Also, I had been to some Singaporean/Malaysian food joins in New York, San Francisco and LA. Some of them are quite expensive, while others are just there to bluff the ang mos and ABCs.

While I was schooling in New York some years ago, I frequented this Thai-Vietnamese eatery which served, get this, our good'ol roti prata with chicken curry dip. They called it "Thai fried hot cakes with spicy curry sauce".

Whether it is roti prata or Thai fried hot cakes, they are heavenly to me.

idor said:
you know hor.... now they even changed the weight limitation liao... no more 35kg each.... think is now 20kg each bag....... they damn good at ripping off people man...... BTW hor you in NY.... I know NY got singapore/malaysia restaruant leh....

aiya
just tell them that its for personal consumption.
but they dont check anyways.
however my friends are more daring.
they bring in open packets of bakgua this past month.
i only bring back can or processed packed sealed food (by factory... not self)
that way i can defend myself in case of a check

haha

there are tons of stuff in NYC..
as well as in NJ . there is a PENANG here too!=)
if you come to the east
let me know

photobum said:
Talking about the US, I have tried this place called Old Penang in Chicago's Chinatown. The owner is a pure-breed Malaysian. Their laksa is the closest one I ever tried. Their satay, however, is another story. The spicy peanut sauce is so thick you can spread it like peanut butter.

Also, I had been to some Singaporean/Malaysian food joins in New York, San Francisco and LA. Some of them are quite expensive, while others are just there to bluff the ang mos and ABCs.

i have been to a few of the PENANG locations
one in chicago, IL
one in edison, NJ
one in boston, MA
one in nyc, NY (i think.. cant remember)
;)

While in the US, I don't mind settling for the "Taiwan Xiang Niu Rou Gan" (Taiwanese beef jerky). Better than its pork sibling IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.