List of Absentees from 10th Anniversary Talks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know which "(smartphone/internet) geek" replied my wall post on CS facebook.
My reply to that person are stated below.

Update the thread.. The threads are LOCKED over the weekends.
PM *whoever*.. NOT everyone have internet access on the go. In other words, NOT everybody have an smartphone or a phone which have internet access.

Don't always ASSUME people have internet on the go (i.e. iPads, iPhones, BlackBerry, Android Phone etc.)
Pls look into all these before you want to met out any "punishment" and choice of words when typing in.

I have done moderation before and I have organised events. Point of contact (POC) need to have online and offline contacts.
Online: PMs or Replies to UNLOCKED threads.
Offline: Someone's
(on the ground or in-charge of the event/talks) contact number.

Hey, its not fair to make that statement. If you can make that effort to register for the talks, why not PM the mods?? PMs are NOT locked. Shame on you that you even dare say that you have organised events before. As an event organiser, one needs to be responsible and react, find ways to resolve issues.

Hey, its not fair to make that statement. If you can make that effort to register for the talks, why not PM the mods?? PMs are NOT locked. Shame on you that you even dare say that you have organised events before. As an event organiser, one needs to be responsible and react, find ways to resolve issues.
Register is BEFORE the talks/event. On the day itself, w/o internet access, how to PM?
When I organise events, I always give my ctc number to those people who needs to contact (for any changes etc.) and a secondary point-of-contact.

Register is BEFORE the talks/event. On the day itself, w/o internet access, how to PM?
When I organise events, I always give my ctc number to those people who needs to contact (for any changes etc.) and a secondary point-of-contact.

that is why mod is giving those who did not turn up a chance of explanation. Isn't that fair? These are self-organised events. As much as I think Mods are willing to give their HP nos, they do have their privacy. Events held by other big players do not give their mobile nos. too. I am an event organiser myself and only CLIENTS have my mobile phone. Can you imagine 5,000 pax having your mobile no?!?!? :bsmilie:

that is why mod is giving those who did not turn up a chance of explanation. Isn't that fair? These are self-organised events. As much as I think Mods are willing to give their HP nos, they do have their privacy. Events held by other big players do not give their mobile nos. too. I am an event organiser myself and only CLIENTS have my mobile phone. Can you imagine 5,000 pax having your mobile no?!?!? :bsmilie:
Er.. Big scale = You MAY NEED to pay.

Self organised, I can understand but the thing is, they can't just ask people to update their status online when people MAY NOT have internet access on that particular day.
There's something called pre-paid card. The "organisers" can share $ to buy a $8 hi-card and ask people to just SMS their status and the admins/mods do not need to reply. (I have done that before.)

Er.. Big scale = You MAY NEED to pay.

Self organised, I can understand but the thing is, they can't just ask people to update their status online when people MAY NOT have internet access on that particular day.
There's something called pre-paid card. The "organisers" can share $ to buy a $8 hi-card and ask people to just SMS their status and the admins/mods do not need to reply. (I have done that before.)

Actually, I don't really understand what's your point that you are driving at. In any case, the mods are opening up to absentees AFTER the event to PM the reason. If you can say that there is something called pre-paid card, why didn't u get a mobile broadband / data card to go online to PM the mod? You are shooting yourself on your own foot. Don't expect more from others when you have the least expectations on yourself. Enough said! :)

PhotoProZero said:
Actually, I don't really understand what's your point that you are driving at. In any case, the mods are opening up to absentees AFTER the event to PM the reason. If you can say that there is something called pre-paid card, why didn't u get a mobile broadband / data card to go online to PM the mod? You are shooting yourself on your own foot. Don't expect more from others when you have the least expectations on yourself. Enough said! :)

Eh, hello..
Not everybody is so "rich" to get a mobile broadband or "data card".

actually i think it's been mentioned before. those that created this forum are doing it for free and are forking out their own cash and free time for it.

what kind of event are you comparing it to?

instead of being grateful to the community for the sharing and bringing down such esteemed speakers for the rest to learn, here you are complaining about them.

honestly i don't know where your moral compass lies.

Which is more demanding? Expect people to remember the telephone numbers or even have to program into their phones and call to update the admin even it is the very last mins before the event start, or give people the chance to explain their situation after the event so that they have time to settle the more urgent matter first?

PhotoProZero said:
Eh...hello...there is something called "Prepaid Broadband" or really no money, go MacDonalds, there's Wireless@SG...FREE..:)

Another person only talk abt all these Internet access on the go.
Pls read properly what I wrote about people NOT being able to have phones or tablets with Internet accessibility. Also, not everyone have a laptop on the go.

Another person only talk abt all these Internet access on the go.
Pls read properly what I wrote about people NOT being able to have phones or tablets with Internet accessibility. Also, not everyone have a laptop on the go.

So another person who just complains about everything else under the sun (or rain) and laments about how unfair the mods are being? Please also read carefully what I've said in my earlier posts - MODS ARE GIVING THE ABSENTEES TO EXPLAIN THEMSELVES.

So I really don't understand what you are driving at....PARDON MY IGNORANCE...

So another person who just complains about everything else under the sun (or rain) and laments about how unfair the mods are being? Please also read carefully what I've said in my earlier posts - MODS ARE GIVING THE ABSENTEES TO EXPLAIN THEMSELVES.

So I really don't understand what you are driving at....PARDON MY IGNORANCE...

Oh, and also, probably you won't know as well, but even a phone from 7-11 or the cheapest phone has access to internet via GPRS...NOT ONLY Androids, iPhone, iPads or Blackberry... :)

Frankly speaking whether one is able to give reason or excuse to the organiser for not attending is secondary. I still believe the root cause of this is that the talk is free. So the attitude is i'l just register, if i cant make it so be it.

My suggestion is make the person who wants to attend pay $5 or maybe $10. U come to the talk u get maybe 90% of the $ back or maybe even 100%. If not, too bad it goes to CS fund. That way u dont have to provide a reason why u cannot make it. Trust me u will get almost 99% of those who paid attending cuz they die2 will try to make it. Tink the mod/organiser should consider tis. Yes there will be logistics involved but that is the only way to curb this attitude of not attending talks after registering.

Crab... my name is there... Sunday morning talk I don't remember I got register.

Forget it.. I don't want to talk about it anymore..
Just hope the organising committee will improve on such admin matters in future events.

why not say organising committee should just charge everyone for the money to ensure their attendence?

i highly doubt that there are so many "emergency" cases, that so many people's name is on the list. it doesn't matter whether they have broadband on the go, or given chance to explain, or whateva. chances are they just last minute pulled out because they didn't feel like going.

put it this way. i don't remember joe mcnally talk (last year was it?) having so many people (if any) fly aeroplane. i only remember a super long queue waiting to enter.

just take LTL's talk for example. last count 108 ppl signed up. 32 people didn't make it. thats around 33%.

don't see how likely it is for about 30% of the people to have last minute business.

Last edited:
Just hope the organising committee will improve on such admin matters in future events.

usually i just 袖手旁观 and not get myself involved in this kind of disputes/arguments/quarrels (or whatever you call it)

but i feel that i need to put in some words in this case. what moderator ED has pointed is damn true (read his post, if not reread again). especially for point #2 which i feel that most people might not realise this fact. Also the mods are giving chance for those MIA people to explain themselves. If this was my event, i will straight away blacklist unless you come appeal and will only be considered on case by case basis.

secondly based on what i observed, mod sebastian one person handle the signups for all the talk, you know how hardcore is that? I can only imagine. Yasin talk was rescheduled and he even pm to me tell me (imagine he got to check those signup before reschedule and pm everybody).

i personally signed up for 4 talks and attended them, i also signed up for one photowalk and i realised need to stay for sharing as well so i email to withdraw (way before the event).

at the end of the day it's how much you value the event, if you really think it's important you will find ways to attend and if you really cannot you make it, you should have the basic courtesy to tell the organisers that you wont be able to make it. Just ask yourself if you arrange a meeting with a friend on a date and time and you cant show up. Dont tell me you wont tell your friend that you not coming in advance or just let your friend keep waiting for you?

having said all that, the least one can do is to show appreciation for what the mods, speakers, volunteers have put in for this event. more kindness and appreciation and less hostility/complaining.

i'm sure those that attended the event benefited greatly from it. thanks to everybody who made it possible. :thumbsup:

just my two cents. peace out.

Kristupa Saragih uploaded his presentation into youtube this morning ... check out the Clubsnap Photography Community fb page. link below :)

View the slides with mouth open.
Astounding....

Good thing is that I'm going on Friday :D :D

Thx for sharing.

May be replicated in other aspect of Singapore life e.g. restaurant bookings where some customers do not turn up. This phenomenon is reflective of Singaporean society.

If subsequently there is an idea of a lucky draw to encourage attendance as per registered booking, do take note of one point. The prize should not be too valuable (e.g. Canon 1DX) or else you will have another problem... members who challenge the lucky draw results or who come to fisticuffs with other members over the prize, or people who attend solely for the lucky draw and not because they are keen on the talks.

Last edited:

Forget it too. No more organising such talk ANYMORE !!!!!

I am just sick and tired of such ppl here in ClubSNAP.

While it is not me single handedly doing it but taking the lead to initiated and see it thru, I am just sick and fed with ppl here!

Status
Not open for further replies.