List of Absentees from 10th Anniversary Talks

Status
Not open for further replies.
now i remember why i choose to spend my time serving this community for free. thanks peeps.

PE he is only one person, don't let the loud voice of one ruin the voices of many

Last edited:
that's why some restaurants don't even bother with reservations. 1st come 1st served, join the Q. u don't show up, no loss. next person in the Q gets in.

paid talks is also a gd idea. no need to waste time with excuses/explanations/blacklisting etc afterwards. pay upfront, no refunds (unless the talk is cancelled).

:)

a lot of foreigners come to Singapore and marvel that it's such a gracious society. but that's mainly just pretense.

how Singaporeans treat one another, especially those who've done them a great service, is appalling. no gratitude, and everything is taken for granted.

someone gave you a chance to learn for free, get access to gears and try them without the crowding and noise of a trade show... and for FREE!

and all they ask for is a simple explanation why you didn't show up and apologize and you act as if they owe you a living?

to be fair, last minute phone call or pm will not help. unless there are people waiting at the entrance hoping for last minute absentee, there still will be empty seat and wasted effort. anyone who signed up, must made a good effort to plan & schedule ahead of all possible foreseenable issue and commit to present unless it is something really serious happened. i was interested in Photographing Nature and Wildlife but i know i may have a slight chance of being late thus i thought i should not sign up and deny fellow photographer a chance to enjoy the full talk & sharing.

i was with cs many years back and returned again recently only shock to find a lot members which in my opinion lack of commitment (encountered so many in b&s till it really puts me off selling stuff here). the word given carries not much weight and poor etiquette in many behaviour aspect.

NOW you really push my button Shaoken ....

You reflect a segment of society that is tardy, lazy, full of excuses and ungrateful ......interests of the larger community have to be considered ....

You hide behind the skirt of 'not everyone has access to mobile broadband/internet/wifi/smartphone/ipad blah blah blah ' BUT we are BENDING BACKWARD ALREADY asking for an explaination BY END OF THIS WEEK

EVEN if that absentee person has no access to the Net last FRIDAY, last SATURDAY, last SUNDAY, YESTERDAY, THIS MORNING, THIS AFTERNOON or THIS EVENING or TOMORROW OR THURSDAY .... BUT BY THIS FRIDAY CAN RIGHT ??? (internet cafe about $1 or $2 an hour right?) ? (regardless of the blardy MIRACLE that the person could ACTUALLY LOGIN to register a week ago , but suddenly he is now stuck on some deserted island with zero access ) .

But you know what? I know the mods well enough that even if NEXT WEEK you just come back from business trip in the Gobi Desert and just drop a note..... they will likely accept it too

You think you are crusading a cause that champions irresponsibility and slackness based on THEORIES that SOMEHOW NO ACCESS ? Not here dude.

We CANNOT COVER EVERY LOOPHOLE you will likely throw our way .... (you sure win liao lor) ....... but we just ask that the SPIRIT of registering and our subsequent request to absentees is respected

This BS attitude stops HERE

You are allowed to stay in the community if you wish but for future events you are declared persona non grata

PE stay cool

Last edited:
人在屋檐下,不得不低头 , when in other people's house, follow their house rules.

Please do not take things given to us for granted. Once gone, it will be too late to regret.

Honestly, i support this idea of banning people. These talks are free and people have to spend time organising them. When people register and dont go, they really deprive others a chance at it.

I myself registered for 3 talks, and missed one due to last minute matters at work. I have pm the mods my reasons. Even if they still ban me, i would say i deserved it and bare no grudges :)

If not because of the time and sacrifice given by the moderators and volunteers, this 10th anniversary CS event would not have been possible. I am glad to have a chance to interact with the mods and other fellow CS members during the event.

Especially to the mods - a big thank you and please do not let such negativity bring you down.

And yes, I'm in all agreement to charge for such future events.

It is quite appalling to read about members challenging and questioning rules laid down by volunteers and moderators who sacrifice their precious weekend time to provide FREE services to the community. Especially when ample leeway has been given to absentees to revert for the talks they have willingly and consciously signed up for via the INTERNET. At the end of the day, no one likes to be taken for granted.

In saying that, I would like to thank the people who worked for the success of the event and the community. Its never easy to organise anything, especially when its free.

Cheers to 10 great years Clubsnap, and hopefully many more...

Last edited:
Dont know wat to say...

It is freaking tough for them to organise such talks, so many of them.... This is selfless contribution.... thats why I think cs is a great place n I mean it.

感激万分!

Don't know which "(smartphone/internet) geek" replied my wall post on CS facebook.
My reply to that person are stated below.

Update the thread.. The threads are LOCKED over the weekends.
PM *whoever*.. NOT everyone have internet access on the go. In other words, NOT everybody have an smartphone or a phone which have internet access.

Don't always ASSUME people have internet on the go (i.e. iPads, iPhones, BlackBerry, Android Phone etc.)
Pls look into all these before you want to met out any "punishment" and choice of words when typing in.

I have done moderation before and I have organised events. Point of contact (POC) need to have online and offline contacts.
Online: PMs or Replies to UNLOCKED threads.
Offline: Someone's
(on the ground or in-charge of the event/talks) contact number.

if you did not have Sebastian Song's contact number, why didn't you PM him for it before the day of the talk, just in case you needed to call him at the last minute to cancel your
registration for the talk?

Did you even bother to check Sebastian Song's signature on CS in which his phone contact is provided in one of the links?

Did you make any effort to PM Sebastian on the day itself when you discovered you could not attend the talk?

Did you make an effort to CALL one of your CS friends to PM Sebastian Song on your behalf?

Did you PM Darren, Sebastian or any of the Mods before the event to ask for a contact number to be published on the thread?

Did you have any intention to respect and abide by the Terms and Conditions of signing up for the talks that specifies that updating of registration status will be by PM to Sebastian Song ONLY (after the registration threads are closed)? Why whine about the T&C now? AFTER the event?

Any responsible person in CS would have taken any of the steps mentioned above if they are serious and committed about signing up for and attending the talks. And if they had good and solid reasons for no-show, they would have PM'ed Sebastian Song quietly by now instead of complaining as you have done.

Last edited:
Frankly speaking whether one is able to give reason or excuse to the organiser for not attending is secondary. I still believe the root cause of this is that the talk is free. So the attitude is i'l just register, if i cant make it so be it.

My suggestion is make the person who wants to attend pay $5 or maybe $10. U come to the talk u get maybe 90% of the $ back or maybe even 100%. If not, too bad it goes to CS fund. That way u dont have to provide a reason why u cannot make it. Trust me u will get almost 99% of those who paid attending cuz they die2 will try to make it. Tink the mod/organiser should consider tis. Yes there will be logistics involved but that is the only way to curb this attitude of not attending talks after registering.

I agree with 'AdyH' that collecting a small refundable 'Deposit' maybe a good idea when registering for any future CS events ..
No show, no money back .. Plus also give 'Excuse' why cannot attend ..
In work or play, one is still held accountable to society or family for absence during outings ..

No offence to the absentees but ya know as the saying goes "there's a will there's a way".

Just like purchasing an air-ticket, most int'l airline requires passenger to cancel their flight at least 72hrs b4 departure for their ticket to be still valid. So if someone only found out he/she can't make it for the flight 3 days before their flight, I'm sure by hook or by crook, he/she will definitely do everything to ensure that the airline is notified so as to save their ticket for a later booking.

So I guess yea in a way or another, collecting fees does help to instate responsibility into some of the 'take things for granted' ppl which in our present society is too common.

Again, no offence to anyone out there. Just my 2cents. Cheer :)

Big thanks to ClubSnap management for organizing the event. :)

After reading all these argument, I would just like to point out something:

1) Erm, smart phone with 3G connection is like, almost everywhere in Singapore. You have the money to own a DSLR and register for the talk (I presume you have a DSLR that's why you are here for the talk, or you are here for the talks because you may be interested in photography, which requires you to own some equipment), but no smartphone, or 3G connection, can't go online to PM Mod? GPRS? That was like way long ago technology. Come one, it's as good as you are a car owner and you tell me you don't have a credit card or a smartphone. Yes, there may be RARE exceptions, but looking at the long list of absentees, you call that RARE exceptions?

2) Mods are giving every absentees a chance to PM AFTER the talk to explain. Not generous enough for you? Oh yah, not to forget there are people who has yet to respond. Good grief, that shows their sense of responsibility. Oh, don't tell me don't check forums, online only once in a week etc. WHATEVER, that only shows you aren't really serious in the CS community. The event is organized for ClubSnap members - and owning an account here doesn't really make you a member of the community. You don't bother to inform the organizers, I don't think why on the effing world should the organizers be bothered about you.

2 cents.

I think this is a good opportunity to filter away those members who like to fly aeroplane :bsmilie:

The booking system also need to improve

example
seats available = 100
all seats fully book
another reserve list of 50 people want to join
3 days before event, the 1st 100 people, who booked the seats, must log in to confirm
if not, the people at the reserve list will replace those who didn't confirm they are coming.

Last edited:
my guess is this matter is inconsequential to them as they can simply create another account to join future outings. If not by nric then i recommend registration by phone number. while not exactly foolproof, it can work since how often do people change phone numbers.

I agree with 'AdyH' that collecting a small refundable 'Deposit' maybe a good idea when registering for any future CS events ..
No show, no money back .. .

Small amount may not have the effect of deterrent to fly aeroplane. What is $5 or $10 to the 5D MKII and iphone 4 owners these days?

It has to be big to hurt e.g. $60 or more.

wow just started read more and quite shocked.... to be honest, been also organizing events, not as big as this 10 years CS event, and already very taxing on my self, some more no money, and people take for granted....

if i mod, i will just ban the person.... mean just throw them out of this forum....

people work like **** behind, some even work as full time photographers, using their bloody earn money time to do free work and this is what they get...... i can easily guess how many man hours spender for this..... not happy bloody de-registered yourself.

I am just sick and tired of such ppl here in ClubSNAP.
While it is not me single handedly doing it but taking the lead to initiated and see it thru, I am just sick and fed with ppl here!

If we observe daily life around us, we will know that it is the attitude of the larger community.. a.k.a kiasu-ness
e.g. chop table with tissue paper in a crowded hawker center.. super long que in museum when its free/clearance sale.. etc..

Small amount may not have the effect of deterrent to fly aeroplane. What is $5 or $10 to the 5D MKII and iphone 4 owners these days?

It has to be big to hurt e.g. $60 or more.

yup, yup, 50-100 will be sizable commitment.

Status
Not open for further replies.