LightSphere II Inverted Dome Diffusion System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for digging the old thread, does anyone have a comparison of a picture taken with the cloud one versus the clear one .. CP did not allow me to try it first as it is all in the packaging :( ... (I know that the one is warmer than the other but I guess a picture will help a lot) ..

Really? they should have allowed.. coz they let me try both.. but maybe coz i was buying my flash at the same time so they wanted to make the deal...
i didn't save the test shots i did, but in the end i took the clear one coz i want something that's more versatile.. the cloud one produces warmer skin tones - definitely better for indoor shots. HOWEVER, i was unable to test it outdoors, and i was afraid that it might color some of my shots. also in taking big groups u'd go for the clear.. cloud lowers light output about 1-2 stops...

just a mention.. while gary always uses the dome when the ceiling is low, in practice, u gotta experiment. I find that in most cases, when there isn't a reflecting surface to the left of the subject, the lightsphere will cause side shadows with the dome on, coz too much light goes forward.. mostly i use it without the dome and it works fine...

Really? they should have allowed.. coz they let me try both.. but maybe coz i was buying my flash at the same time so they wanted to make the deal...
i didn't save the test shots i did, but in the end i took the clear one coz i want something that's more versatile.. the cloud one produces warmer skin tones - definitely better for indoor shots. HOWEVER, i was unable to test it outdoors, and i was afraid that it might color some of my shots. also in taking big groups u'd go for the clear.. cloud lowers light output about 1-2 stops...

just a mention.. while gary always uses the dome when the ceiling is low, in practice, u gotta experiment. I find that in most cases, when there isn't a reflecting surface to the left of the subject, the lightsphere will cause side shadows with the dome on, coz too much light goes forward.. mostly i use it without the dome and it works fine...

Hmm I thought for outdoor Gary suggest to point it straight toward the object? If that is the case, won't clear or cloud will have the same effect as the light that matter is the one that go through the dome versus the side? Paiseh, the doom for both is the same right?

I was wondering. If you use without the dome, wouldnt it be just like a direct bounce flash without diffuser since most of the light travel upwards. I am mentioning this because I find that the effect of shooting without dome, you still get quite a bit of shadow especially if the person is wearing glasses. Any thoughts on that?

Didnt know theres two type of LS.. anyways, the price is still the same as months back..hai..
thought of getting it but at $90, thinking twice..:sweat:

I'm also considering getting the clear @ $90. Any most users recommended that its a gd investment despite the hefty price tag.:confused:

Didnt know theres two type of LS.. anyways, the price is still the same as months back..hai..
thought of getting it but at $90, thinking twice..:sweat:
make ur own lor!! hahaha....if not make mr fong happy lor

1 thing I dun understand.. It says the chrome dome is effective for the cloud model only. But the pic shows the clear model. Or pls correct me. The transparent-looking LS is the Clear rite? And the opaque white one is the Cloud?

1 thing I dun understand.. It says the chrome dome is effective for the cloud model only. But the pic shows the clear model. Or pls correct me. The transparent-looking LS is the Clear rite? And the opaque white one is the Cloud?

ya, translucent is cloud type.

i think for illustration purpose, they use the clear model to see how the chromedome fits into the LS.

anyone has pics shot with chromedome and amber dome?

i wonder if they really make a difference?:dunno:

i have both the cloud and clear, but am thinking should i get the accesories.

Hi Jeanie,

Do u find a big difference between the Cloud and Clear version? I understand the Clear version has less light cut off and the Cloud is more suitable for portraits.

I have the Clear one but I am doubtful if I should splurge so much more money on another Cloud one + the new Chrome.

Hi Jeanie,

Do u find a big difference between the Cloud and Clear version? I understand the Clear version has less light cut off and the Cloud is more suitable for portraits.

I have the Clear one but I am doubtful if I should splurge so much more money on another Cloud one + the new Chrome.

ya.clear one allows more light.but honestly, it's not alot more.MAX is 1 stop IIRC.
prob with these LS is that you have to up the flash output.else all the pics will come out underexp.
i actually prefer a bounce card.but since i bought both, and now the chromedome looks interesting, but i'm not sure if i want to get it.:dunno:

Those who are buying the amber or chrome, remember to bring your cloud sphere along...the QC is really not that good for the parts to fit perfectly...I've tried a few of them, especially the amber one, so loose...the chrome one I got lucky and got it tight the first time so even though some of the silver chrome is peeling off at the side (cathay photo show me several ones all like that), I'm happy with that liao...nowadays things are not made that perfect anymore...

The amber one as long as it fits and don't drop off after a few hard shakes you should be happy already. Afterall u don't point them down a lot also. If u insist, be prepared to stand there an hour to try all not forgetting the staff will give u the "cathay look";)

PS : Those that use stofen, dun u find it getting too loose nowadays? My Canon 550 used to fit so tight until you cannot remove them without a struggle and I like to leave it on to protect the front. My 580 always drop off...that is why I end up with the bulkier LS. Any one tried shrinking it with success? I still love my stofen...:cry:

i dun think they give me discount but the amber price tag is $28 and the chrome $75...I didn't know the chrome was so expensive when I tested it...if u need it, I think getting from US maybe cheaper (either 1). Just chip in your main parcel as they r feather weight but take up a bit of space.

Wow in that case I tink I wont get the chrome or amber cos for that I will have to buy the Cloud. Everything added in it will be so ex. (Gary Fong really earns a lot from this!)

If Clear can do the job with more light output than the Cloud alone, I don't see why I should get the Chrome to increase the output for the Cloud!!! :dunno: Not logical.

As for Amber, may be useful but I doubt I will use it often.

Status
Not open for further replies.