Lights at the end of the tunnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konabike

Nov 28, 2008
DSC_38091.jpg

This shot was taken in Chengde China when I was attracted by the strong beam of lights entering the tunnel. It was taken with 14-24mm lens on D700

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
The composition. I feel its too wide that may have distort the right wall of the tunnel.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
To capture the strong contrast of the strong sun light that shining into the tunnel.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
It was a rather quick shot, as we were late to get back the tour bus. The feel of existing the dark tunnel into the lights makes me feel a silver lighting in life.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I did not quite like the human subject which i think it could confuse the title. However, I did not have the luxury to wait to re-compose the picture.

Thank you for your comments.

Last edited:
the question to you would be, why is it too wide?

is it really because of distortion of the right side, since obviously all sides would be distorted - or is it because the right side is doing nothing for the picture , and should be dumped? :)

the question to you would be, why is it too wide?

is it really because of distortion of the right side, since obviously all sides would be distorted - or is it because the right side is doing nothing for the picture , and should be dumped? :)

Thanks night86mare.
I'm in dilemma too if this is too wide. This is original shot. I did tried to crop and trim the right corner, but it will lose the "tunnel out" effect. I remember I tried to shift towards left, but I lose the composition of the stretching light beam effect intended at the left lower corner.
I review this pics several times, sometime I just like as it is but times I thought a better composition would do a better job.

Do you think this is a acceptable distortion?

Actually i think the right side is fine. It does serve a small purpose of channeling the eyes to your subject which is the archway with the light coming through. If anything, I would've reduced the brightness on the walls to emphasze the light at the end of the tunnel.

What would be better is to try metering off the top roof so that the contrast is greater.
I would also try composing such that the opening is nearer to the top left.

shot works great for me. darkening the walls / vignetting with emphasis of the light can further enhance the shot. A black and white version of this will work well too.

i would not mind the human elements actually

ryan

I though it will work better this way:
DSC_380911.jpg

I will show more of the left side,
emphasis on the light that leads the way to the 'end' of the tunnel.
Will remove the image if TS mind.

Thank you all for kind comments.

To giantcanopy - good suggestion to B&W. I might give it a try.

To 3xOdu5 - appreciate your effort to crop the pics. I wouldn't mind at all.

I may try to darken the tunnel a little more to make it more contrast. As for the composition, I guess I will just remain at it is so to project a tunnel out effect.

This is my first post to Critique corner, and am glad to receive your constructive comment.

Thanks night86mare.
I'm in dilemma too if this is too wide. This is original shot. I did tried to crop and trim the right corner, but it will lose the "tunnel out" effect. I remember I tried to shift towards left, but I lose the composition of the stretching light beam effect intended at the left lower corner.
I review this pics several times, sometime I just like as it is but times I thought a better composition would do a better job.

Do you think this is a acceptable distortion?

well, you don't have to follow 3:2 format..

photography has many "set" formats, 4:3 is another one, good for portraits or when excess space is present, 16:9 is a widescreen movie style framing, there is also square.

doing 4:3 here might help.

anyways, others have mentioned that they are fine with the space on the right, so maybe that's personal preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.