Lightroom vs DxO

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballwackers

Apr 19, 2007
Upper Bukit Timah
I'm currently using DxO 5.3 for RAW editing, and i really like it. I've heard so much about Lightroom and i'm currently trying it, but frankly i wonder if it is worth the time to learn a new process?

Comments appreciated.

I like DxO Pro too but it's too ex. Any lobang?
Lightroom uses the same engine as ACR and I don't like the colours from ACR even though it has a lot of functions, and Lightroom has even more.

I use silkypix too. Not too bad at all.

DxO is now having a holiday promotion and is available at a discount of 33% until 31 Dec 08. On top of that, the latest version of 5.3.1 now supports Nikon D90 and Canon 50D and have additional 50 correction modules for these and other cameras.
http://www.dxo.com/en/photo/news/Su...on-DxO-Optics-Pro-and-upgrades?null=4216741#1
Good deal ! :)

Thanks for the heads-up.

If only DXO Optics recognises NEFs after it has been saved using NX2.

DxO is now having a holiday promotion and is available at a discount of 33% until 31 Dec 08. On top of that, the latest version of 5.3.1 now supports Nikon D90 and Canon 50D and have additional 50 correction modules for these and other cameras.
http://www.dxo.com/en/photo/news/Su...on-DxO-Optics-Pro-and-upgrades?null=4216741#1
Good deal ! :)

Thanks for the heads-up.

If only DXO Optics recognises NEFs after it has been saved using NX2.
You mean if you adjusted a NEF file in NX2 and then save it again as NEF?
But DxO v5.3 does recognise such a NEF file. :think:
I just checked.
The one thing I didn't like about NX2 is that adjustments to each original NEF file cannot be saved in a non-destructive manner. Any change has to be saved as a new NEF file and therefore there is no record of the adjustments that had been made and hence cannot be easily reversed if we change our mind later on.
In DxO, all the changes in the entire batch of files processed can be recalled at any time later on and changed without having to change and resave the original NEF files.

Yes. DxO Optics Pro does recognise NEF files... but from what I recalled (I have no access to their forums now as it's only for registered members), they do not read NEF files once they have been saved using NX2, even if you have made no adjustments. If anyone can confirm that NEF files saved via NX2 are recognised (fully) when opened using DxO -- I'll be a happy man :)

I don't get your message which regard to the second paragraph. I thought all adjustments made in RAW using NX2 are non-destructive and are easily, or to be more specific, completely reversible? Unless you are talking about the 'batch feature' of NX2 of which it's a no-go for me (I don't use it).

In any case, this DxO promotion is very attractive... I like the fact that they have 'very specific lens correction modules'. I am not sure if they have the 'keystone correction module though' -- currently, I have Adobe PE5 to take care of that.

You mean if you adjusted a NEF file in NX2 and then save it again as NEF?
But DxO v5.3 does recognise such a NEF file. :think:
I just checked.
The one thing I didn't like about NX2 is that adjustments to each original NEF file cannot be saved in a non-destructive manner. Any change has to be saved as a new NEF file and therefore there is no record of the adjustments that had been made and hence cannot be easily reversed if we change our mind later on.
In DxO, all the changes in the entire batch of files processed can be recalled at any time later on and changed without having to change and resave the original NEF files.

Last edited:
Yes. DxO Optics Pro does recognise NEF files... but from what I recalled (I have no access to their forums now as it's only for registered members), they do not read NEF files once they have been saved using NX2, even if you have made no adjustments. If anyone can confirm that NEF files saved via NX2 are recognised (fully) when opened using DxO -- I'll be a happy man :)

I don't get your message which regard to the second paragraph. I thought all adjustments made in RAW using NX2 are non-destructive and are easily, or to be more specific, completely reversible? Unless you are talking about the 'batch feature' of NX2 of which it's a no-go for me (I don't use it).

In any case, this DxO promotion is very attractive... I like the fact that they have 'very specific lens correction modules'. I am not sure if they have the 'keystone correction module though' -- currently, I have Adobe PE5 to take care of that.

What I mean is that if I made changes, say change the WB, exposure, etc to an original NEF file in NX2, it does not keep a record of the changes made. If I do not resave the file again as NEF in NX2, the next time I open it again, it would be with 'As Shot' parameters and not with the adjusted parameters... and I can't recall all the steps I made especially with those control point adjustments and reproduce the same jpeg converted file again.

I had opened a NEF file which I had adjusted and resaved in NX2 in DxO and it has no problem reading it just like any original NEF file.

What I mean is that if I made changes, say change the WB, exposure, etc to an original NEF file in NX2, it does not keep a record of the changes made. If I do not resave the file again as NEF in NX2, the next time I open it again, it would be with 'As Shot' parameters and not with the adjusted parameters... and I can't recall all the steps I made especially with those control point adjustments and reproduce the same jpeg converted file again.

Perhaps I have mistaken what you meant. Changes made to NEF files on NX2 will have a tick next to the description. If you have made changes to WB, there'll be a tick next to it under the Camera Settings - WB; so in that sense there is a record. The sequence of changes does not matter under the 'Develop' section. It does, of course, under the Adjust section (where the fancier stuff -- LCH, Color Ctrl Pt, ect -- lies. Of course, you have to save the changes.

I had opened a NEF file which I had adjusted and resaved in NX2 in DxO and it has no problem reading it just like any original NEF file.

Great to know this point. One further question -- does it recognise the changes you applied using NX2 when you open the file using DxO ?

P.S. Note post #2 of the below-mentioned forum.

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=196&topic_id=29233&prev_page=show_topic&gid=29233#29237

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=196&topic_id=22542&prev_page=show_topic&gid=22542#22544

Last edited:
Great to know this point. One further question -- does it recognise the changes you applied using NX2 when you open the file using DxO ?
I think it read the NEF as if it is an 'As Shot' NEF. It can't recognise the changes as I don't think even NX2 kept the records of changes with the adjusted NEF.

Am trying the Lens correction for my FishEye on DXO but still can't figure out how...
Anyone can help or any link that can share??
Are you using the Nikon 16mm Fisheye lens?

No. I'm using Tokina 10-17. Hmm does it suport it?
DxO Pro presently only have correction modules for Nikon 16mm Fisheye lens.
You won't be able to defish images taken with any other fisheye lenses in DxO Pro.
You might like to try Fisheye-Hemi which is a defishing plug-in for Photoshop instead.

http://www.imagetrendsinc.com/products/specpage_hemi.asp

The problem which you quoted is precisely why I prefer Adobe's Lightroom software.

Lightroom allows you to create a snapshot of the changes made, and keeps a running history of the cosmetic changes made to your RAW files.

If let's say you increased the exposure and saturation, you can create a "snapshot" of that. Or you could adjust other settings to create other snapshots of changes. One can simply click on the different snapshots to compare and see the effects of the changes at the click of a button. This is really convenient!

Lightroom also has a "reset" button to recover the original looks of the RAW image.

Status
Not open for further replies.