Lightroom-Storing Raw Edits

Status
Not open for further replies.

alanpotpot

Sep 16, 2007
My hdd is getting full and I like to store some of my photos on an external hdd. I need to remove my photos in Lightroom's catalogue(then physically move them to the hdd). How can I save the settings(edits that I made on the raw files) so that the next time I load them again, Lightroom could read the changes that I made?

Search the help file for "Exporting files / collections into a new catalog".
Select pictures (e.g. pick a certain collection that you have created) and export the entire collection into a new catalog. You have the option to include the RAW files as well (which is what you need to do). Define a target directory and you'll find everything there. You can open the .lcat file with LR and everything's there as before.

Another option is to export the files as DNG, then move the DNGs to wherever you want.
You can read more on DNG from Adobe's website, but essentially DNG files are RAW files with whatever edits you have made in lightroom.

Open up your catalog, select all pictures, "control+s" to save XMP (edits) data. Copy paste the photos from your computer to the ext hdd, delete the original from computer. A "?" will appear in the library folder in LR. Right click-> find missing folder-> point to the new folder.

Also under file-> catalog settings, you have the option of auto-updating xmp as you edit.

Cheers,
Zexun

My hdd is getting full and I like to store some of my photos on an external hdd. I need to remove my photos in Lightroom's catalogue(then physically move them to the hdd). How can I save the settings(edits that I made on the raw files) so that the next time I load them again, Lightroom could read the changes that I made?
Why do you need to remove them from Lightroom? Just move them to the new harddisk. There will be a ? next to them in LR2 and you can point LR2 to the new location. Once you have told LR2 of the new harddisk you can move the photos from within LR.
no need to create new catalogue and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.