lightest tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.
i went to marina CP about 2 weeks back and didnt see any 'expensive' tripod there. do you have to ask for it to be seen or its because they didnt have ready stocks?

Yes you have to ask for it... they keep them at the back of the shop.

Ask to see the Manfrotto 055MF3 (Magnesium Fibre - 3 tiers). It is amazingly light, and sturdy at the same time. It will be able to hold your setup without a problem and you don't have to hang anything in the centre hook. I think the damage is about $500+ (without head)

One thing you might want to consider... do you want quick release leg extensions (Manfrotto), or screw type (Gitzo)? Makes a difference.

what's the diff between the quick release and the screw type?convenience?or sturdy?

what's the diff between the quick release and the screw type?convenience?or sturdy?

Both are sturdy.

There are 2 distinct differences:

1. Quick release types are easy to unlock and extend, as they only require a single action to unlock, extend, lock back. Screw types on the other hand require you to turn each segment a few times to tighten.

2. I have experienced my Gitzo (screw) being so tight after long usage that it was almost impossible to unscrew, much like opening a stuck jar...

Ultimately, it is personal preference, and my preference is the quick release one of Manfrotto. Not so much for the quick set up, but more for it getting stuck on me...

lightest?

i got a gitzo 1058 that is 0.7kg, does a good job but well, it is not as sturdy as my manfrotto that is 1.8kg.

and agree on the quick release is better than screw type release

if you don't tighten the quick release ones enough, they may slip when u put on heavy loads...

gitzo screw legs have some sort of air inside them that prevents slipping..

if you don't tighten the quick release ones enough, they may slip when u put on heavy loads...

gitzo screw legs have some sort of air inside them that prevents slipping..

saw a very compact yet sturdy one at CP yesterday.
gitzo.legs only cost 560:bigeyes:
but CP dun carry alot of good heads....or at least heads which catches my eye...
all super big and ugly.:bsmilie:

i just remember what tripod i had.
it's a manfrotto 190b and god its heavy!:(

If you ask me, i'll go for Gitzo no doubt about it for built and quality. Expensive yes :sweat: How many tripods do you really actually need? Think long term investment. A tripod together ballhead with 8kg load factor goes a long way :) as some CS user has mentioned. Btw i have both Gitzo monopod and tripod ;p It good enough for me already to last me for life :heart:

If you ask me, i'll go for Gitzo no doubt about it for built and quality. Expensive yes :sweat: How many tripods do you really actually need? Think long term investment. A tripod together ballhead with 8kg load factor goes a long way :) as some CS user has mentioned. Btw i have both Gitzo monopod and tripod ;p It good enough for me already to last me for life :heart:
ballhead with 8KG is not enough...get the 40KG ones...it'll be better if you're using heavy lenses..

May I suggest another viewpoint?

Buy the heaviest you are willing to carry. Buy not for the looks, but for the reliablity.

ballhead with 8KG is not enough...get the 40KG ones...it'll be better if you're using heavy lenses..

Yes no doubt about that ;p Most importantly is to plan ahead :)

Agree. I "invested" in a Gitzo a couple of months back and never look back. I feel the screw type is neater and in fact its quite easy to unlock and lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.