lightest tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought it at CP for 1.3K. I was very very reluctant to pay that sort of price initially. But thinking back, it is worth every single cent now. No more future hassle of ever needing to replace and change tripod. Best of all, so convinient to carry around.

Caution, there is no strap or bag given though.

:bigeyes: 1.3K!!!! :eek: :sweat:

S$300 is a little too low for a carbon fibre set up... try increasing it to $400-450, and you should be able to get a Benro m227/228 with a ballhead... else 330/340dx from slik + manfrotto 486RC2 should do (total cost around 250)
330/340dx nothing fantastic about it... but if you are used to manfrotto 190 or 055 series, you probably find it like bamboo stick weight. :bsmilie:

I bought it at CP for 1.3K. I was very very reluctant to pay that sort of price initially. But thinking back, it is worth every single cent now. No more future hassle of ever needing to replace and change tripod. Best of all, so convinient to carry around.

Caution, there is no strap or bag given though.

LOL.i nearly fainted!
actually i say i willing to pay premium hor...i wouldnt expect to be paying anything above 800!:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

u stea-dy ah!

S$300 is a little too low for a carbon fibre set up... try increasing it to $400-450, and you should be able to get a Benro m227/228 with a ballhead... else 330/340dx from slik + manfrotto 486RC2 should do (total cost around 250)
330/340dx nothing fantastic about it... but if you are used to manfrotto 190 or 055 series, you probably find it like bamboo stick weight. :bsmilie:

i use to think a carbon fibre lip for a sports saloon at 2k is very ex liao....
i didnt know 3 legs of CF for a cam tripod is almost = to car bodykits!:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

thanks all for recommendation.

i havent heard of benro b4 though.will check it out

Yes 1.3K. I am a firm believer in a good tripod. I rather have an excellent setup than having to cry later on if the tripod is not steady and whole setup of D200 plus Trinity lenses drop. well, thats my take.

The same reason why I was very skeptical about paying initially. Now I will not. Looking for a Wimberly head already to complement a big bazooka soon.

just one out of topic question.

do your BH(better half) complain about how much you guys spent on your hobby?
i understand if it's for 'food on table' lah.
;p ;)

leech, i went to marina CP about 2 weeks back and didnt see any 'expensive' tripod there.
do you have to ask for it to be seen or its because they didnt have ready stocks?

I bought it at CP Peninsula in May this year and that was before they became agent for Manfrotto products. I believe they no longer take in any new Gitzo stuff and just selling off what ever there is over their stock room.

As to the OT question, no I am no pro shooter. But BH is supportive cuz she knows I will definitely cry for an upgrade in near future if it is a marginal stuff. So its only a one time investment. Just like the good lenses.

For the above gear, D200+AFS17-35+SB800, gives you a total of <2kg. For light and sturdy plus quick to setup. Slik 330 or 340 is good enough.

../azul123

Don't.....I have the Slik 330, D70, AFS17-35 and SB600 and the camera almost topple...so I have to lower the center column to lower the center gravity but it still feel weird...no confident the $4k+ equipments will stay safe....so I am already saving for a Manfrotto 055 because I am a man :lovegrin:

The Slik 330/340 legs are light, but the included 3-way panhead is heavy. With the budget of $300, you can probably get the 340 (shorter collapsed length), and buy a ballhead of sorts (maybe a Giottos or Manfrotto, or even a Slik), and you're all set with a light travel setup. I have a 340 with a teeny-weeny ISE ballhead on it, with a Foba clamp on top (as my other tripod uses the Arca-Swiss plates as well). The panhead's useful as well in certain situations, just swap the heads as required.

The Benros are good, but still won't fit into your budget.

Big Kahuna said:
Don't.....I have the Slik 330, D70, AFS17-35 and SB600 and the camera almost topple...so I have to lower the center column to lower the center gravity but it still feel weird...no confident the $4k+ equipments will stay safe....so I am already saving for a Manfrotto 055 because I am a man :lovegrin:
Not to pick bones, but I have no such problem leh... even with heavier gear of course must be less than what they are designed to hold.

I have used both Slik 330 (sold) and 340 (still keep for travels), for local usage I use Manfrotto 055. I think using tripod also must have the correct way, where you positioned the legs to support the weight plays a part? sometimes like when using Fisheye lens you don't want to have the tripod legs in the picture then you need to be extra careful because a little forward push from the front can cause the tripod to topple over. YMMV.

Just my 2 cents.

../azul123

prob is then i take out the gears to mount on tripod, my bag probably nothing else liao.will be very light.it's a billingham hadley.
i want the tripod for travel.not for use in sgp where i have a car to throw all my barang barang in.

Then always have a good thick leak proof plastic bag in your camera bag so you can look around for rocks or other heavy objects to put in your cam bag to temporarily add weight.

Not to pick bones, but I have no such problem leh... even with heavier gear of course must be less than what they are designed to hold.

I have used both Slik 330 (sold) and 340 (still keep for travels), for local usage I use Manfrotto 055. I think using tripod also must have the correct way, where you positioned the legs to support the weight plays a part? sometimes like when using Fisheye lens you don't want to have the tripod legs in the picture then you need to be extra careful because a little forward push from the front can cause the tripod to topple over. YMMV.

Just my 2 cents.

../azul123

what does YMMV stands for?

btw, i called shiriro and they quoted me a carbon model which they have.the new 6x carbon is not in sgp yet.
the old model they quoted me $1950
i nearly fainted.:bsmilie:

YMMV = your mileage may vary

Gitzo 1158 (Mountaineer) is abt $200+ cheaper than 1158T (Traveller).

IMO, get a Gitzo 1158 with a decent ball head - Markins perhaps?

Can get the Gitzo 1158 @ CP for under $1k IIRC. BTW, CP don't sell Markins ball head.

You will regret getting the 1158 instead of the 1158T, they are totally different.
1158T is alot more sturdy than the 1158 and you are right match it with a markins Q3 and it is almost the perfect tripod, in fact you will realised that the Q3 is like almost tailor made for the 1158T

Can get the Gitzo 1158 @ CP for under $1k IIRC. BTW, CP don't sell Markins ball head.

there was stock for Markins M10 at CP the last time i went...(that was last year...:bsmilie:)

You will regret getting the 1158 instead of the 1158T, they are totally different.
1158T is alot more sturdy than the 1158 and you are right match it with a markins Q3 and it is almost the perfect tripod, in fact you will realised that the Q3 is like almost tailor made for the 1158T

Went to CP and had a feel. No diff. Only that the "T" being lighter.

Checked with the staff. Was also told not much diff other than the weight :dunno:

there was stock for Markins M10 at CP the last time i went...(that was last year...:bsmilie:)

lol.. now don't have liao leh.. my friend thinking of getting mah.. asked CP they say "don't have markins"

Well I tried and it does have planty of difference.
BTW don't trust the salesman no matter who, trust yourself.
Salesman will tell you only answer that you want to hear (hear only the good things).
They told me Markins are very lousy heads.
They have also mentioned Gitzo are not good and too expensive???. :dunno:

Went to CP and had a feel. No diff. Only that the "T" being lighter.

Checked with the staff. Was also told not much diff other than the weight :dunno:

Well I tried and it does have planty of difference.
BTW don't trust the salesman no matter who, trust yourself.
Salesman will tell you only answer that you want to hear (hear only the good things).
They told me Markins are very lousy heads.
They have also mentioned Gitzo are not good and too expensive???. :dunno:

Yup.. agree.. but when come to feeling the 2, find it abt e same and too light for my liking.

Prefer my current 190 ProB :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.