Less people taking public transport

Status
Not open for further replies.
money money money and more money... hahaha...

ERP is nothing... when they launch GPS base tracking to charge road tax and road usage then its even more money.... hahaha...

The technology is available in Singapore more than 3 years ago. ;)

LTA even commissioned a survey for it, so prepare for the raise :devil:

http://www.straitstimes.com
www.straitstimes.com said:
Will pay more for fast rides
Time is valued as much here as in US and British cities, study finds By Maria Almenoar

HOW much would a motorist be willing to pay to avoid congestion on the roads? Or, if you prefer public transport, how high would you go for a seat on that bus or train to work?
Just about double whatever it takes now to get a smooth ride, it seems, according to a new survey commissioned by the Land Transport Authority (LTA).
LTA economist Raymond Toh presented the findings at the ongoing World Roads Conference, although he made clear that these values had no direct link to bus or train fares or road tolls.
The survey of 4,000 respondents - 40 per cent were motorists and the rest public transport commuters - was meant to help transport planners gauge what motorists and commuters are willing to pay to save time.
'Ultimately, it gives us a better gauge of passenger behaviour in different scenarios to better plan future projects,' said Mr Toh.
The findings also showed that commuters and motorists here valued their time as much as their counterparts in cities in Britain and the United States, where similar surveys were carried out.
Read the full story in Wednesday's edition of The Straits Times

actually it is the fault of the people and not the gov, btw no political talk

cannot afford also want to buy car
after buying the car, cannot use leave at home and don't drive
so ll drive and pay for the luxury of car ownership

they should just reduce the number of COEs or increase the COE to $40k each

1) They shud make another gantry just outside of your carpark, on entry basis, everytime u drive out cost $50. Then like that one one will dirve out unless really necessary.

2) Or, implant a meter like taxi, charge $0.10 for every 400meters, like that ppl will drive shorter distance.

3) One last way is to use the $$ collected at all ERPs to subsidise the public transport fees instead of pocketing it

they are already evaluating/testing the system if im not wrong...

If I am not wrong, it was already evaluated and tested 3 years ago, but the challenge is
whether the policy maker dare to implement such system here. :bsmilie:

hopefully it dun come to a point where u have to pay just to walk in the streets... :bsmilie:
Err... in future, you will count yourself lucky if they do not tax you for breathing air...:bsmilie::confused:

If I am not wrong, it was already evaluated and tested 3 years ago, but the challenge is

I vote for satellite tracking.

Because the bladdy ERP gantries very eyesore, limits the already-limited shooting angles in the city.

:angel:

every morning still got a lot of ppl taking mrt...

Public transport ridership drop 4%, but population go up by dunno how many millions in the last decade so...

every morning still got a lot of ppl taking mrt...

Err... in future, you will count yourself lucky if they do not tax you for breathing air...:bsmilie::confused:

oh... was only told by a relative recently who works in the LTA that they are testing it... :think:

anyway my view is being a country like ours, sooner or later the cost will be like driving in London...

The report should be read as more people (in quantity) taking Public transport compare to year 2004, but Public Transport has failed to achieve/maintain it standard in convenience (squeeze like sardin, low frequency, don't follow time table stated), afforadability (raise in fares, while car go cheaper) and shorter transport time. So end up more prefer to get their own car instead.

Hmmmm.. if ERP system were to be implement in london, i think the ppl there will just *EXPLODE* go on a strike and go crazy burning down and destroying all the ERP gantries. singapore so small already so many gantries, london so big. can't imagine how many gantries it will be.

Last edited:
Hmmmm.. if ERP system were to be implement in london, i think the ppl there will just *EXPLODE* go on a strike and go crazy burning down or destroy all the ERP gantries. singapore so small already so many gantries, london so big. can't imagine how many gantries it will be.

err... they already have i think... congestion charge or something cant remember... 8 pounds :sweat:

oh... was only told by a relative recently who works in the LTA that they are testing it... :think:

anyway my view is being a country like ours, sooner or later the cost will be like driving in London...

Maybe LTA is testing it again and again. :confused:
3 years ago, I even know who is the implementer and tester for this.
Maybe LTA have change vendor... :bsmilie:

err... they already have i think... congestion charge or something cant remember... 8 pounds :sweat:

What i meant was, if the number of gantries varies proportionally to the size to these two countries (Singapore and London).

Hmmmm.. if ERP system were to be implement in london, i think the ppl there will just *EXPLODE* go on a strike and go crazy burning down and destroy all the ERP gantries. singapore so small already so many gantries, london so big. can't imagine how many gantries it will be.

Yes.. London has their Congestion charges too.. and its damn ex... So, in fact.. count ourselves lucky to have cheap ERP.. hahaha.. ironic?

Aiyah.. cannot compare whole of Singapore to whole of London... Our ERP only situated close to the city central... and mostly in the CBD area... same thing for LOndon... their congestion charges apply to London city centre... the surburbs wont be charged...

Yes.. London has their Congestion charges too.. and its damn ex... So, in fact.. count ourselves lucky to have cheap ERP.. hahaha.. ironic?

Aiyah.. cannot compare whole of Singapore to whole of London... Our ERP only situated close to the city central... and mostly in the CBD area... same thing for LOndon... their congestion charges apply to London city centre... the surburbs wont be charged...

Correction loh.. Our ERP "Not" only situated close to the city central... and mostly in the CBD area.. it is also situated in area such as TPY lor 8. ;p ...

Haiz.. owning a car is indeed very expensive in Singapore, Road Tax, Inspection fee, COE, Parking, ERP, Petrol, Insurance, maintenance... and the list goes on...

Last edited:
i think the main problems with public transportation are...

Bus:
irregular frequency;
fumes coming out from buses onto commuters waiting at bus stops (hot ones, not sure what they are, i suspect from AC and exhaust);

MRT:
supercrowded;
more routes please;

Operating hours
MRT runs until 12am only. Night rider is not convenient. This keep nightlife lovers from going out and render the city dead at night. MRT should operate 24-7, then we will have a 24 hour city, more shops will open past 12am = more places to go to = economic hours extended = more growth for Sg.

Cab
rude cabbies;
waiting time (certain times very hard to get a cab other than calling);
CBD charges = crazy!

apart from that... there are many other commuters who are inconsiderate too. there's once several ladies and i caught a guy trying to molest a fellow female commuter on MRT.

The upside of having private vehicle...

1. no waiting time
2. private space, can talk in private. :)
3. can out anytime anywhere
4. fast and direct, no detour (like buses)
5. easy shopping, can buy stuff and load into boot.
6. no more carrying bags, just dump everything in the car.

The downside of owning private vehicle

1. cost
2. ERP
3. parking (no space at times)
4. accidents do happen
5. traffic jam (have to concentrate and cant relax even when sleepy)
6. traffic fine... almost everyone gets it
7. maintenance
8. car theft
9. sometimes, people treat you like driver. almost obligated to fetch people here and there.
10. grow fat from lack of walking. :p

policy makers shld take public transport themselves...

aiya, even if they take the train, one whole bloody carriage would prob be closed for like what, 12 or 20 of them? while the rest of Singapore squeezes into the rest of the train carriages....

They will never have the chance to know what is it like be squashed during rush hour.....

Status
Not open for further replies.