Less is More, need help in composition

Status
Not open for further replies.

L2snap

Aug 19, 2009
Hi guys,

I read some of comments in critic corners that said, "in competition, the most important part is composition, composition and composition.", "clear out the mess, less is more".

I understand what those quotes mean, but I found it very difficult to do. For example, I want to make a picture of a pen on the table. But on that table, there are many other things such as sticky notes, calculator, highlighter etc. that sit close to each other. Could one give me some ideas on how am I suppose to clear the mess? Another example, I see a street lamp that interest me. But very close to the lamp there is a twig and leaves which I don't want to include in my picture. Again, how am I suppose to clear the mess?

If cases like these happen, do that mean I can't make a picture of it and I should go find other objects?

Please excuse this stupid question.

Thanks

................... For example, I want to make a picture of a pen on the table. But on that table, there are many other things such as sticky notes, calculator, highlighter etc. that sit close to each other. Could one give me some ideas on how am I suppose to clear the mess? ..............
take away whatever items cause distraction.

.............. Another example, I see a street lamp that interest me. But very close to the lamp there is a twig and leaves which I don't want to include in my picture. Again, how am I suppose to clear the mess? ..
try another angle, use long lens, find another lamp post

Composition technqiue! It doesnt fall from sky, train your eyes.
Let me try:

1) Remove other unnecessary objects, or arrange the entire desk In Order. Tell a story perhaps, whats the pen use for...

2) Frame the leaves and other stuff, place the lamp on center of interest.

Actually best to take a picture first and post at CC. Pick up a photography book at the library if you have 5 mins, will help you a lot ahead.

If cases like these happen, do that mean I can't make a picture of it and I should go find other objects?
it just means that you haven't taken the effort to isolate it with angles, perspectives, etc.

less is more - it is not just snapping solo objects. it is finding a way to isolate things, make them stand out.

for example, if you have a red pencil amidst many brown stationary, it is isolated as well, no? think out of the box.

2938302344_54fd0f32d0_m.jpg

if this may be of any help as an example.

Great.. Thanks for the replies, link and even example.. I guess I have a lot of homework here. I'll keep the thread open for any other replies..

Thanks again, really appreciate it

It's all up to your perspective. You can choose to recompose the picture, re-arrange the subjects (subtract, add or re-arrange, etc)

or choose other subjects to shoot instead.

Hi guys,

I read some of comments in critic corners that said, "in competition, the most important part is composition, composition and composition.", "clear out the mess, less is more".

I understand what those quotes mean, but I found it very difficult to do. For example, I want to make a picture of a pen on the table. But on that table, there are many other things such as sticky notes, calculator, highlighter etc. that sit close to each other. Could one give me some ideas on how am I suppose to clear the mess? Another example, I see a street lamp that interest me. But very close to the lamp there is a twig and leaves which I don't want to include in my picture. Again, how am I suppose to clear the mess?

Please excuse this stupid question.

Thanks
another thing is of course photoshop or lightroom....you be surprised how many people actually follow the "no editing" rule if any in competitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.