lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camm

Sep 4, 2002
Visit site
Hi,

Understand lens is one very important factor in producing good quality photo. Can someone explain to me what is the difference between these two lens of 18-55mm compared to 18-135mm? Does that means that 18-55mm kit lens is not able to shoot far?

What are the other factors that I need to take note of if I want to have a picture of shallow DOF?

Hi,

Understand lens is one very important factor in producing good quality photo. Can someone explain to me what is the difference between these two lens of 18-55mm compared to 18-135mm? Does that means that 18-55mm kit lens is not able to shoot far?

What are the other factors that I need to take note of if I want to have a picture of shallow DOF?
if optical qualities is ingored, you are right by saying 18-55 cannot shoot far (well at least it doesn't zoom as far as 18-135)

Apature, distance to subject & type of lens (e.g. macro vs. wide angle).

the kit lens , 18-55 is roughly equivallent to about 3-4X optical zoom on a PnS. correct me if im wrong...

that's if you're talking basic PnS

its a 3x zoom. doesnt matter whether its a PnS or DSLR or RF or whatever. its still the same.
longest focal range/shortest focal range = n times zoom
its just a ratio.

Is this kit lens, from d40, d50 and canon 400d able to create portrait pics with shallow DOF?

Possible if you shoot wide open at 55mm and go quite close to your subject. The images tend to look kinda soft though.

In general the wider zoom coverage will have poorer image quality compared to a narrower zoom lens which in turn is poorer quality compared to a fixed focal length (=prime) lens. is a balancing act between picture quality and convenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.