Lens Recommendation for first 650D: Zoom and Prime

Great stuffs bro! Loved your collections. Nice! :)

Thanks. But my travel photos are far off compared with the quality of some photos I see here in CS; nevertheless, I've accepted that I won't be able to get near that level.

Anyway, this thread is about the 650D, zoom & prime. I'm here only to share my user experience concerning the 18-135mm kit & 50mm f/1.8 II.

:bsmilie: :bigeyes:

Thanks. But my travel photos are far off compared with the quality of some photos I see here in CS; nevertheless, I've accepted that I won't be able to get near that level.

Anyway, this thread is about the 650D, zoom & prime. I'm here only to share my user experience concerning the 18-135mm kit & 50mm f/1.8 II.

:bsmilie: :bigeyes:

Don't really be bothered about whether your photos are as good as other's here or not, with regards to travel photo.

When traveling, some people would bring all their heavy gears and when photographing, would like to practice a better composition and create a more artistic photo. Of course, this takes skill, patience and physical strength to lug the gears around.

There's another group of people, those with the skills and the gears but chosen not to. They just want to go light and be casual. Of course, there may be another group like you, learning and trying to craft beautiful photos for your memories.

To me, which group and what exactly came out, doesn't really matter. Because it's your own trip and your memory. Say a photo of your loved one smiling - it doesn't need to be say rule of thirds or whatever, it can be just a totally centered image. To others, it may not be of artistic value but to you, it's invaluable.

Bring what you are comfortable with physically and the focal range that you require to get the shots you want and enjoy the trip.

Hello, newbie here as well, just got the 650D last week. I'll share my (limited) experience.

What I learnt is that reading can only get you going, but you really need to experience shooting and the different conditions you'll be shooting in.

What I did was, after much reading about how good (and cheap) the 50mm f/1.8 was, I decided against getting the kit lens and opted to buy the body + 50. Then after a night's out shooting, I quickly realized that 50 isn't exactly 50, its more 50x1.6 on a cropped body. I went out with a friend who has D600, and I could see the difference in the field of view. That's not to say the 50mm is bad, you just need to know how to use it (and "zoom" with your legs). :bsmilie:

I guess I do feel a tinge of regret not getting the kit 18-135 STM, but have now settled for a Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 II DC OS HSM as my zoom.

My advice is : whatever you have, just shoot!

Cheers!

Last edited: