Lens Recommendation for first 650D: Zoom and Prime

I wouldn't think too much if I were you. All the various lens combinations you suggested are pretty competent, and you won't be disappointed (probably) with any.

The advantages and disadvantages are obvious (some of the zoom lenses have wider apertures, while the other as greater range of focal lengths).

As for your prime lens selection, once again, I don't see a problem other than to select a focal length you enjoy. Some prefer 35mm, others 50mm.

I prefer 35mm and 85mm on cropped sensors.

guitargeek said:
Hi all. I am about to get the 650D and this will be my first DSLR. But I am in a dilemma when it comes to which lens to start out with. I am planning to start with a zoom and a prime so some help needed...

...etc.

So, any advice for a newbie?

Let me share with you a few points which might be useful:

I have been using the 18-135 Kit Lens (non STM) on a 550D for travelling in the last 3 years. Serves me very well, never needed to switch lens on the move even though my EF 50mm f/1.8 II (cheap, light, sharp & good) is in the bag with the flash most of the time - never needed to use them. The kit lens has given me 1000s of nice travel photos. Like what you are about to experience, the 550D is my first (& only) DSLR.

If you can wait a while longer, the 700D is coming out very soon; the announcement might be anytime now. You might regret if you buy the 650D unless you need to use it very soon, or the free gifts from Canon in the current promotion is attractive to you. (Read more in canonrumors.com).

I also suggest you might want to buy more lenses only after you've used your kit lens for a while; otherwise, the additional lenses might become permanent residents in the dry cabinet. (Same for the flash too!)

If you are also a member of "photomalaysia.com" forum, you can see quite a few photos of my recent Switzerland trip there, taken with the 18-135, and gauge whether a kit lens is as inferior as some made it out to be. It didn't fail me even at 3883m/12740 ft, minus 16 deg C. I'm not a pro, thus couldn't bring myself to spend so much on equipment which de-value quickly as new ones come out fairly quickly within 2-3 years.

You could save a lot if decisions to buy are not hastily made. Many have advised me that learning skills in photography is far more important than buying a host of (expensive) gears. They are right.

:)

Aiya.. I don't think 650D and 700D will be heaven and earth difference, and for TS too. XXXD is the kind of every year refresh camera.. don't bother waiting lah.. if need to shoot just buy.

macVince said:
Let me share with you a few points which might be useful:

I have been using the 18-135 Kit Lens (non STM) on a 550D for travelling in the last 3 years. Serves me very well, never needed to switch lens on the move even though my EF 50mm f/1.8 II (cheap, light, sharp & good) is in the bag with the flash most of the time - never needed to use them. The kit lens has given me 1000s of nice travel photos. Like what you are about to experience, the 550D is my first (& only) DSLR.

If you can wait a while longer, the 700D is coming out very soon; the announcement might be anytime now. You might regret if you buy the 650D unless you need to use it very soon, or the free gifts from Canon in the current promotion is attractive to you. (Read more in canonrumors.com).

I also suggest you might want to buy more lenses only after you've used your kit lens for a while; otherwise, the additional lenses might become permanent residents in the dry cabinet. (Same for the flash too!)

If you are also a member of "photomalaysia.com" forum, you can see quite a few photos of my recent Switzerland trip there, taken with the 18-135, and gauge whether a kit lens is as inferior as some made it out to be. It didn't fail me even at 3883m/12740 ft, minus 16 deg C. I'm not a pro, thus couldn't bring myself to spend so much on equipment which de-value quickly as new ones come out fairly quickly within 2-3 years.

You could save a lot if decisions to buy are not hastily made. Many have advised me that learning skills in photography is far more important than buying a host of (expensive) gears. They are right.

:)

Bro, can you share the link of your Switzerland pics? Thanks

Hi guys! Thanks for all your input! I am now a proud owner of a 650D with the 18-135 IS STM! Looking forward to my photography journey!

guitargeek said:
Hi guys! Thanks for all your input! I am now a proud owner of a 650D with the 18-135 IS STM! Looking forward to my photography journey!

Congrats and welcome to the club! :) enjoy.

Congrats!! I'm sure you'll enjoying using it as much, maybe more, than I do with my (older) 550D/18-135. I saw the 650D magazine at Canon Vivocity (next to GV cinema) last weekend; similar to the 550D magazine I bought from there sometime back. Good info on techniques, tips & lenses with lots of colour photos; you might want to get a copy. It's about $15.

:cool: :)

Bro, can you share the link of your Switzerland pics? Thanks

You can only see the photos when you register as a member of the forum of "photomalaysia.com", that's their rule. All of the photos are very lightly edited; I use iPhoto on my iMac to do simple cropping, aligning & small enhancements. Don't know how to do sophisticated ones; mostly what you see are what the 18-135 had given me. I travel and snap, that's about it.

Luzern: [Here]
Zermatt: [Here]
SuperTrees: [Here] Mixed shots with EF 50mm f/1.8 II & 18-135
-----
Flickr: [Here]
Clubsnap: [Here] (a few from Barcelona & Paris)

-----

Last edited:
Anyway, can I check for the battery, how long should I charge it for the first time?

And when I'm not using my camera and storing the battery in the dry cabinet, should I charge the battery to the max or should I just leave it half charged?

Anyway, can I check for the battery, how long should I charge it for the first time?

And when I'm not using my camera and storing the battery in the dry cabinet, should I charge the battery to the max or should I just leave it half charged?

A1: I did a long, evening + overnight charge the day I took my camera home from the shop.
A2: For the last 3 years, I charge to full and leave it in the camera more often that out of it. The battery is still strong; I haven't bought a 2nd one yet. In my holiday travels, I always charge it overnight in the hotel. (I believe the 650 & 550 have the same battery type.)

Maybe other more experienced members, or pros, might have a different view?

just get another 1 or 2 extra batteries and don't worry about not having enough juice when you need it.

macVince said:
You can only see the photos when you register as a member of the forum of "photomalaysia.com", that's their rule. All of the photos are very lightly edited; I use iPhoto on my iMac to do simple cropping, aligning & small enhancements. Don't know how to do sophisticated ones; mostly what you see are what the 18-135 had given me. I travel and snap, that's about it.

Great stuffs bro! Loved your collections. Nice! :)

I have one spare battery. It's necessary, even though one of these batteries could last me at least 500 shots (depending on how you conserve it)

Btw, u may want to check out 3rd party battery as spare, example the brand phottix. Cheers

If i will to get crop body, i will just pair it with efs 15-85. It light weight, good iq and small.
Just get another prime like 50mm f1.4 or 40mm pancake for low light.

i just got the same set-up last week, and it's been pretty awesome so far. welcome to the club :)

Buy all and try. After that sell the ones you dont like.

I am also in the same situation. Just got my own 650D after 2 years playing with my friends 550D & 600D.

Been using kit 18 - 55mm all this while and now im thinking of either 40mm pancake or 50mm 1.8.

Is there any place where we can try out both lenses in store without renting? I believe most shop does it.

My another option was actually Samyang 8mm fisheye. Haha.

I am also in the same situation. Just got my own 650D after 2 years playing with my friends 550D & 600D.

Been using kit 18 - 55mm all this while and now im thinking of either 40mm pancake or 50mm 1.8.

Is there any place where we can try out both lenses in store without renting? I believe most shop does it.

My another option was actually Samyang 8mm fisheye. Haha.

I thought canon now has this "try before buying" scheme for lenses?

I thought canon now has this "try before buying" scheme for lenses?

If I did not read it wrongly, it should be renamed to "Rent before buying, if you happen to want to buy, we give you discount ( RRP - Rental cost)"