Lens Problem with my 350D...

Status
Not open for further replies.

maritimus831

Oct 11, 2005
hey guys, when i attach my sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG MACRO lens to my camera body 350D, sometimes it "does not detect" it... as in, on the LCD panel, the aperture data states 00, when i half press the shutter, it does not focus, behaves just like when there is no lens attached.
then, i try to reattach it a few times, and then it works, and gives me the aperture reading...

what is this problem?? is there a way to fix it? if so, do i approach sigma or canon to fix this?

Hmm is your lens new? I'm no expert but I suspect that the contact points may be dirty. Try cleaning them. Erratic operation usually indicates a problem with the connection btw the lens and the camera.

clean the contacts. possible oxidation in our weather ;)

r u using the battery grip?
if 'YES', try to uninstall and reset it back to original battery cover and take try it.. if ok then install back the battery grip/.. hope it help..:D

yes i am using the battery grip. but i don't think it has anything to do with the grip... my grip was connected to the camera, as i could change shutter speed etc...

will try cleaning the contacts, what to clean with? is it neccessary to use contact cleaner? or can just use cloth? where to get contact cleaner?

Jack27 said:
r u using the battery grip?
if 'YES', try to uninstall and reset it back to original battery cover and take try it.. if ok then install back the battery grip/.. hope it help..:D

I dont see any connection? :dunno:

maritimus831 said:
yes i am using the battery grip. but i don't think it has anything to do with the grip... my grip was connected to the camera, as i could change shutter speed etc...

will try cleaning the contacts, what to clean with? is it neccessary to use contact cleaner? or can just use cloth? where to get contact cleaner?

I normally use isopropyl alcohol. Can be bought from Watsons under Rubbing Alcohol.

Clean the metal contacts on your camera and the lens. Use a little baby oil(just a tiny drop) on a worn out lens cloth to clean. Try not to expose the back of your lens out in the open for too long. When not in use, use the lens cover to prevent dust and moisture.

If it still doesnt work properly, try using other lenses to check if the Sigma is causing the problems.

Hope that helps.

by any chance did you use a canon speedlite flash on it?

nope...i don't have one...
thanks guys, after cleaning it, it seems to work perfectly...maybe it was the weather in shanghai? it only had this prob. when i was in shanghai...

Yep, I had the same problem with my 350. I am also in shanghai.

maritimus831 said:
hey guys, when i attach my sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG MACRO lens to my camera body 350D, sometimes it "does not detect" it... as in, on the LCD panel, the aperture data states 00, when i half press the shutter, it does not focus, behaves just like when there is no lens attached.
then, i try to reattach it a few times, and then it works, and gives me the aperture reading...

what is this problem?? is there a way to fix it? if so, do i approach sigma or canon to fix this?

Is it still the same after you do some cleaning? Try put on your kit lens....If the same problem still occur it got to do with your camera. If not then is your lens.
If lens sent back to Sigma to service. If camera sent to Canon service center...:cry:

Hope this help...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.