Lens Jammed: EF 24-105 f4/L zoom jammed

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigandy

May 1, 2008
Hey guys,

anyone experienced this? Zoom is jammed while mounted on camera. My lens (purchased May 08) was working one day and overnight, it's jammed. Did not drop or damange camera. Bayonet mount onto body is also difficult. Was using lens the day before and everything was fine.

Tested EF mount on body (40d) with my other lenses, it's fine, so it's only my zoom. Any advice appreciated.

later,
Andy

send it in to Canon Servicing Centre ( CSC ) for a check.

Hey guys,

anyone experienced this? Zoom is jammed while mounted on camera. My lens (purchased May 08) was working one day and overnight, it's jammed. Did not drop or damange camera. Bayonet mount onto body is also difficult. Was using lens the day before and everything was fine.

Tested EF mount on body (40d) with my other lenses, it's fine, so it's only my zoom. Any advice appreciated.

later,
Andy

Somewhere along the way, someone screwed up the lens is my guess.

it needs a substantial distortion to make mounting difficult. Can you see anything wrong with the mount?

Did not drop or damange camera. Bayonet mount onto body is also difficult. Tested EF mount on body (40d) with my other lenses, it's fine, so it's only my zoom. Any advice appreciated.
Hi Andy, my guess is YOU did not drop the lens but perhaps someone else did or possibly damaged the bayonet mount on your 24-105. From your description, it seems like a mechanical/physical problem with the mounting on your 24-105 so inspect it carefully.

Doesn't make sense that it was (presumably) working fine for more than half a year since May 08 then suddenly develop problems like this overnight

you're sure nobody tampered with it when you weren't looking?

for the mount to jam it requires some real serious effort - can you show some pics ? it should be visible if it is mechanical e.g. misalignment.

guess I'l bring it in to let Canon have a look.
Will try to take a picture and post if I get round to it today.

Tks for all the tips, maybe someone did drop it while I wasn't looking.
Oh well....

Have a good sunday guys!
Andy

Update:

Just picked up lens from Canon. Service was fantastic, prompt and short wait. But they don't tell you much about why the lens was faulty.

The service note stated: "Lens repaired, fully functional".

Since it was still within 1 yr of international warranty, no cost to me. But it is certainly strange since the lens mount was not damaged and I did not notice anything on the external of the lens itself.

Customer service guess it might have been a surface screw on the lens mount that might have come loose or jammed and caused the entire lens to jam up or another loose screw in the zoom mechanism.

All fine and good, but it makes one worry about the quality of an L lens. You pay the premium for a reliable product, but it seems nothing's a certainty anymore.

Jsut an update to close this matter. Thanks for the tips guys, but in the end, my lens may be an anomaly.

later,

It's quite safe to say what happened to your lens was unusual. There are seldom any complaints about the L series lacking in build quality.

Glad to know it turned out okay for you, and don't let that discourage you from buying more L's :thumbsup:

All fine and good, but it makes one worry about the quality of an L lens. You pay the premium for a reliable product, but it seems nothing's a certainty anymore.

Glad you could solve it.

Anyway "L" doesn't mean zero fault rate. If you wanted that, your lens would probably have cost twice as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.