Lens from Amazon

magic1980

Oct 24, 2007
Hi, is it recommended to buy lens from amazon?
Any Bro or sis got any experience to share.

I am looking at 50mm f1.4 at 298 Usd.
Depending on luck, usually the lens wouldn't need servicing in first year right. So the 1 year warranty is rather useless right. Am looking at amazon cos at least the lens is brand new.

Any advice?

Hi, is it recommended to buy lens from amazon?
Any Bro or sis got any experience to share.

I am looking at 50mm f1.4 at 298 Usd.
Depending on luck, usually the lens wouldn't need servicing in first year right. So the 1 year warranty is rather useless right. Am looking at amazon cos at least the lens is brand new.

Any advice?

Not sure if Amazon ship lenses out to Singapore or not. and have you factor in their shipping cost? Don't forget to add in the GST if all these added up to be more than S$400, do take note of the exchange rate too.

So... if really saving is not that much and you are not worried about warranty, you could actually get a grey set in Singapore at around S$473. Plus it would have in shop warranty too.

http://www.technogadgets.com.sg/store/canon-lenses/standard-telephoto/cat_15.html

I never service my lens. So it's ok to buy as long as it's a dodgy seller

The 50mm is Usd 298 on amazon. Free shipping too.

The 50mm is Usd 298 on amazon. Free shipping too.

If that is the case, then it seemed pretty alright to get from amazon.

Correct me if I am wrong, but free shipping only covers US. For shipping to Singapore, you still need to pay.

Nope Usd 298. I just check out. I am hesitating cos scare 50mm range for my 1.6x crop. But about 400 Sgd I think can try la and it's a good lens I read.

Correct me if I am wrong, but free shipping only covers US. For shipping to Singapore, you still need to pay.

Just checked, this lens entitle FREE AmazonGlobal Saver (averages 9-14 days), which means buyer can enjoy free shipping to Singapore. just need to pay US$298.00.

Just checked, this lens entitle FREE AmazonGlobal Saver (averages 9-14 days), which means buyer can enjoy free shipping to Singapore. just need to pay US$298.00.

Ya.. So can buy right? Good buy?? I already purchased. But can cancel now. What do u guys think?

Ya.. So can buy right? Good buy?? I already purchased. But can cancel now. What do u guys think?

If lens is not in a condition acceptable, you need to pay post to return before a refund. Good luck

You so scared then buy local la...
Want cheap want good wan big boobs where got such thing..

If lens is not in a condition acceptable, you need to pay post to return before a refund. Good luck

With Amazon? lol. You don't pay return postage.

Dang, sometimes they even let you keep the item and refund you. That's what world class customer service can be.

Last edited:
With Amazon? lol. You don't pay return postage.

Dang, sometimes they even let you keep the item and refund you. That's what world class customer service can be.
how about you order a few L lenses and try to return it, let see whether Amazon let you keep them or not?

how about you order a few L lenses and try to return it, let see whether Amazon let you keep them or not?

That's why I said sometimes ya? It occurs when the shipping cost is almost the same as the item cost, or slightly lesser. Last month I tried to return a 30 USD handphone casing that's not even shipped by them directly (via forwarder) and they told me I can keep the handphone casing (which would had cost me $9 SGD to ship anyway) while they promptly refunded me.

That's why I said sometimes ya? It occurs when the shipping cost is almost the same as the item cost, or slightly lesser. Last month I tried to return a 30 USD handphone casing that's not even shipped by them directly (via forwarder) and they told me I can keep the handphone casing (which would had cost me $9 SGD to ship anyway) while they promptly refunded me.
It's not about sometimes but rather the value of the item.

It's not about sometimes but rather the value of the item.

And sometimes is still correct. AFAIK, sometimes means when all condition requirement is present.

And sometimes is still correct. AFAIK, sometimes means when all condition requirement is present.
This s not about philosophy and literature, interpreting the meaning of the words.
When shipping and handling the item exceeds the sales value / profit margin then it is better for Amazon to give you a freebie rather than to ask for return shipping. It is about some items, not some abstract sometimes.
Try this with any item of higher value and you will not get your freebie. Many talks.