Lens for wedding photography..

it has ettl feature. 3rd party budget alternative to 580exii

24-70 is popular on FF. May not be so on crop bodies. You might be better off using 17-50/55 f2.8 on crop bodies.

Really?? Now then I know that 24-70 is much suitable for ff cam... Sorry Wat the diff when u said 24-70 popular for ff cam 17-50/55 on crop cam..??

I have used my 35mm prime for my friend's wedding dinner. Some shots with n without flash... ( pics in my blog ) Turned out quite well.. Thou I do agree, it really depends on ur style of shooting. I didn't have much time to change lens thou, which is not a prob coz I managed to get some good shots n am able to just crop them if I want, but knowing what to expect is good, so it gives u time to change lens n picture ur shoot first...

Hey thnxs I do really wish to see the pic u took... Where can I see it???

U can check : dtlittleworld.blogspot.com
 from there got my flickr as well... Those
Pics are unedited ones on my blog

U can check : dtlittleworld.blogspot.com
 from there got my flickr as well... Those
Pics are unedited ones on my blog
most photos are underexposed and white balance off, you are shooting from a casual shooter angles, and that is fine,
using prime lenses on a wedding as a main photographer will be totally different game.

1- Ok may I know is the yn565ex already out in the market n how much it cost...

2- guys which is the better choice for taking wedding??
- using external flash or without flash but kick up the ISO higher??
using 17-55 on a DX body or 24-70 on a FX will get 90% of the shots you needed in a wedding,

shooting without flash is much much harder than with flash, you need more time for post production as well.

if you want to use flash, use the best flash which is most reliable, and back up flash plus lots of lots of batteries, the last thing you want is the flash failed you during a wedding.

Really?? Now then I know that 24-70 is much suitable for ff cam... Sorry Wat the diff when u said 24-70 popular for ff cam 17-50/55 on crop cam..??

If you are using a crop body, you would need to multiply the crop factor (1.6 for Canon and 1.5 for Nikon) to your focal length of the lens, so for 24-70mm would be something like 36x105mm for Nikon's camera and 38.4x112mm lens, so it will be abit tight for crop camera. However I find that it is alright for that type of focal range, but it would be up to you and the event itself... none of us would know unless we are there ourselves to know the size environment.

using 17-55 on a DX body or 24-70 on a FX will get 90% of the shots you needed in a wedding,

shooting without flash is much much harder than with flash, you need more time for post production as well.

if you want to use flash, use the best flash which is most reliable, and back up flash plus lots of lots of batteries, the last thing you want is the flash failed you during a wedding.

any advice, if one is not the main photographer and using flash, how not to get in the way of the main photographer?

1- Ok may I know is the yn565ex already out in the market n how much it cost...

2- guys which is the better choice for taking wedding??
- using external flash or without flash but kick up the ISO higher??

1) YN565EX is already out and cost around $2xx (can get from artworkfoto).
2) Use flash and don't kick your ISO up higher.

any advice, if one is not the main photographer and using flash, how not to get in the way of the main photographer?
it is important to know where the main photographer position himself and what is he shooting, don't duplicate whatever his is shooting, it will slow down the flow of the wedding and also is an insult to him, as in he is not capable to do his job well and you need to backup every shots.

don't stand at a crossfire position, you will be show up in every photos and he will be in your photos as well.

don't shoot over his shoulder as he may not aware and bang on you when he move.

when shooting the couple portraits and the family group photos, don't shoot side by side with him, as both of you will not able to get all the eye contact of your subjects, so don't rise your camera when he shoot, he may ask you to take some shots when his is done. Or you can shoot from aside for behind the scene shots.

if the main photographer is shooting with available light only, and you are shooting with flash, try not to fire when he is shooting, you will screw up his exposure because of your flash. and also be careful of your camera AF-assis light, it will ruin the photos and it is not possible to touch up.

actually ones will learn more things by just observing how an experienced photographer works, so don't be too carry away shooting every possible angles and shots in the wedding.

hope this help.

catchlights said:
most photos are underexposed and white balance off, you are shooting from a casual shooter angles, and that is fine,
using prime lenses on a wedding as a main photographer will be totally different game.

Yeah! Thanks for looking! I am just in charge of candid shots for the night, still brushing up on controlling white balance yes... Do hope I have the chance to learn from a pro one day soon!

it is important to know where the main photographer position himself and what is he shooting, don't duplicate whatever his is shooting, it will slow down the flow of the wedding and also is an insult to him, as in he is not capable to do his job well and you need to backup every shots.

don't stand at a crossfire position, you will be show up in every photos and he will be in your photos as well.

don't shoot over his shoulder as he may not aware and bang on you when he move.

when shooting the couple portraits and the family group photos, don't shoot side by side with him, as both of you will not able to get all the eye contact of your subjects, so don't rise your camera when he shoot, he may ask you to take some shots when his is done. Or you can shoot from aside for behind the scene shots.

if the main photographer is shooting with available light only, and you are shooting with flash, try not to fire when he is shooting, you will screw up his exposure because of your flash. and also be careful of your camera AF-assis light, it will ruin the photos and it is not possible to touch up.

actually ones will learn more things by just observing how an experienced photographer works, so don't be too carry away shooting every possible angles and shots in the wedding.

hope this help.

thanks. I think it does.
one of other thing I think I can do is to shoot with a very different focal length from the main and cover things that he won't be shooting. Whether to use flash, I just have to take into consideration of the above mention and whether ambient light is sufficient.

Hi TS, shooting a wedding is not the same as shooting a landscape, model, xiao mei mei, insects, etc. If you can't shoot well, you can just walk away and shoot the same objects again next time. However, wedding photography can never be like this.
Wedding photography is a professional photography and it can never be a casual type of photography. The wedding couples only marry once and the wedding moments also only happen once in a life time for them. You can't screw up the wedding couples' wedding - whether you are the main photographer, 2nd photographer or just a casual shooter. Before shooting the wedding, you must be fully equipped yourself with knowledge, skills and camera gears, because after that wedding, if your performance sucks, you cannot retake again, that's it. The responsibility of capturing the wedding moments nicely is on your hands. Hence, you should seriously think about it.

Knowing what lenses to use in a wedding is just a small little part of the criteria to be a professional photographer. To be a professional photographer that can deliver the results, a proper and lifelong training is essential. If someone think that anyone can just go to a camera shop buy a camera and a lens, then go straight to shoot a wedding like shooting landscape, models, xiao mei mei, insects, etc, then it's very wrong.

If you need to ask the question like what is the lens for wedding photography, I think it's better for you not to be the main photographer or 2nd photographer. I always encounter the situation where there are too many "cameramen" and "camerawomen" squeezing in a small little space blocking the view of the main photographer and videographer but too little guests to witness the ceremony and enjoy the banquet food. If the wedding couple has paid a good sum of money to hire a professional photographer and they just invite you to attend their wedding, why not go there witness the ceremony and enjoy the banquet food instead of keeping yourself busy shooting?

Last edited:
Ok la maybe he is asked to be backup camera so cut him some slack.... Everyone has their first time. Hopefully now he knows better what to expect in a wedding and gain experience.

Hi TS, shooting a wedding is not the same as shooting a landscape, model, xiao mei mei, insects, etc. If you can't shoot well, you can just walk away and shoot the same objects again next time. However, wedding photography can never be like this.
Wedding photography is a professional photography and it can never be a casual type of photography. The wedding couples only marry once and the wedding moments also only happen once in a life time for them. You can't screw up the wedding couples' wedding - whether you are the main photographer, 2nd photographer or just a casual shooter. Before shooting the wedding, you must be fully equipped yourself with knowledge, skills and camera gears, because after that wedding, if your performance sucks, you cannot retake again, that's it. The responsibility of capturing the wedding moments nicely is on your hands. Hence, you should seriously think about it.

Knowing what lenses to use in a wedding is just a small little part of the criteria to be a professional photographer. To be a professional photographer that can deliver the results, a proper and lifelong training is essential. If someone think that anyone can just go to a camera shop buy a camera and a lens, then go straight to shoot a wedding like shooting landscape, models, xiao mei mei, insects, etc, then it's very wrong.

If you need to ask the question like what is the lens for wedding photography, I think it's better for you not to be the main photographer or 2nd photographer. I always encounter the situation where there are too many "cameramen" and "camerawomen" squeezing in a small little space blocking the view of the main photographer and videographer but too little guests to witness the ceremony and enjoy the banquet food. If the wedding couple has paid a good sum of money to hire a professional photographer and they just invite you to attend their wedding, why not go there witness the ceremony and enjoy the banquet food instead of keeping yourself busy shooting?

Great feedback really appreciate it but if u said that one been invited n just njoy the banquet I wondering when will he/she be able to practise or train if one wanted to be a wedding photographer... But I agree the part where that he/she have to be carefully when taking shoot to prevent from distracting the main photographer...

The best thing is.. Dont shoot if the professional/paid photographer is already on the ground shooting.. Try not to shoot near him as its very very distracting..if he shooting this group of people.. then you might want to go else where shoot other group of people.. No point having all the same photos though.

And always remember.. you are not the main photographer. So dont get too carried away snapping away and screwed up the whole event. Infact at many times its better to observe how they do it.

This is what happen nowadays..Since demand of DSLRs are getting common..almost everyone not all.. have 1 and they just feel i have it i want to use it..since im going to a event...would be nice for me to take some photos.. Uncles sometimes../nephew/Cousin etc etc. all carry one.. end up so many camera snapping away..blocking the way etc etc.... oh gosh..just saying. i must really agree with you on your last sentences.

If the wedding couple has paid a good sum of money to hire a professional photographer and they just invite you to attend their wedding, why not go there witness the ceremony and enjoy the banquet food instead of keeping yourself busy shooting?

So TS is the wedding over? You can share with us how u feel after the wedding so other people who are new to wedding can learn from first person pt of view?

Great feedback really appreciate it but if u said that one been invited n just njoy the banquet I wondering when will he/she be able to practise or train if one wanted to be a wedding photographer... But I agree the part where that he/she have to be carefully when taking shoot to prevent from distracting the main photographer...

Bringing a big camera and L lenses to wedding dinner and practise some shootings won't make you a successful wedding photographer. Like professional soccer players, you won't be able to play at competitive level for a long time without years of training and guidance by good coaches, not to say if you want to achieve something big.

Same to wedding photographers, if you want to separate yourself from the amateur "cameramen"(or the weekend warriors) and be competent at international level, it requires lifelong learning and training, like doing your education, from PSLE, O level, A level, degree, master to PHD.

You may attend some workshops by some famous wedding photographers(be ready to pay a few thousands, like paying your school fees), work for other wedding photographers as their assistant, editor, backup shooter, 2nd shooter, etc and be humble to learn(put down all your big camera and L lenses). And do expect and be prepared for low and inconsistent income for the first few years. After that, if you want to start up your own photography business, you have to spend some money on advertisement, studio, equipment, extra headcount etc. The investment is huge but the return is uncertain. Hence, it won't be easy for those who have heavy financial/family commitments or already has a high-paid job. However, if you can't take the risk, you won't become an artist.

Last edited:
kentwong81 said:
However, if you can't take the risk, you won't become an artist.

Instead of an artist, maybe a professional?

Instead of an artist, maybe a professional?

It's the same :)

If you have a good degree, high-paid job, car loan, housing loan, credit card debts to pay, kids/parents/wife to feed, will you quit your job to learn from zero and become a full time professional photographer(without CPF, insurance, medicine covered)?

Last edited: