Lens for the M9

ir_swaps

Feb 27, 2006
Singapore
Hihi...I finally took the plunge and bought my M9! Waiting anxiously for it to be sent to me now. In the meantime, I need some advice on which lens to get to fit the new baby. I'm looking at the 35mm focal range. Has anyone tried the Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2/35? any comments on it? Appreciate all your advices!

Hihi...I finally took the plunge and bought my M9! Waiting anxiously for it to be sent to me now. In the meantime, I need some advice on which lens to get to fit the new baby. I'm looking at the 35mm focal range. Has anyone tried the Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2/35? any comments on it? Appreciate all your advices!

Great lens... Modern and sharp if you like those smooth bokeh. Personally i prefer vintage lens with more swirly bokeh. For M9, you need a 35 Lux ASPH. Hahah!!!

Seriously, lots of great lenses out there. If you don't mind japanese lenses, they do make great LTM lens in the past.

Zeiss 50 f2, 35 f2 and the legendary 25 f2.8 ( I have a 35 f2 and love it. Hardly any distortion but very modern feel)
Sonnar - Nikkor 50 1.4, 50 f2, 85 f2.0, 105 f2.5
Fujinon - 50 f2, 50 f2.8, 50 1.2
Canon - 35 f2 (Japanese summicron), Sonnar 50 1.5 (my favorite!), 50 f.14 (Planer design - a budge summilux), 50 1.2 (my favorite budge nocti). Great swirly bokeh!!!
Topcor - 50 f2 (I have one for sales now :))
Konica hexanon - 50 f2, 50 1.2, 60 1.2, 50 f2.4 (collpasible I love mine!), 28 f2.8, 35 f2
Lots of nice cheap voigtlander lenses of course!

and more....

Last edited:
Interesting... like I tell me Maseretti-driving friend, get your porsche and ferrari first then try the other exotics cars :)

I would suggest that you pursue a all-leica lens first followed by other modern lens like the voitlanders and then the exotics like russian and antique japaneses lens.

For the all-leica lens, it makes sense to go for a 35-90mm pairing or the 28-50-135mm group. Some folks go for the 35-50-90-135mm combo.

Of course, for many, the no.1 general purpose 50mm lens that people covet is the Summicron lens. There are a few versions, from the cheap to the insanely expensive. Of course with an M9, you should also consider the Noc. This is one fast (if not fastest) night lens around.

Voitlanders makes great wide-angled lens.

Of coss, like my Maserrati-driving friend, he didn't listen to my advice, life is too short to have a strict regime of wheels. He bought a black Lambo instead.

So, have fun and enjoy your m9.

raytoei

Thanks ZoomP & Ray...

Of coz I would prefer to have a nice leica lens to accompany the body. But the heart is still bleeding frm the cut and need a good few months before I venture there again. I'm really looking for a lens that I can live with for at least 6 months. Any idea where I can locate Carl Zeiss lens in Singapore. I'm doing some research on Voitlanders as well.

for voitlander, look no further than chiif, who is active on this board.

http://www.chiifcameras.com/site2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1&Itemid=2

for czj, it is around 600usd, look at ebay or hunt around the other boards. If you buy a "work-alike" Jupiter-3 or Jupiter-8, note that most of them have back-focus problems that need to be shimmed.

I would go for the 35mm summicrons or summiluxes - even if pre-asph:) - your M9 will create beautiful pics with those lenses.

Agree with u bro.. Go for the 35mm summicron pre-asph Version 4. You will never be wrong to start with it..

Thanks for all ur advices. Made up my mind to get the Summicron 35mm ASPH tommorrow.

Thanks for all ur advices. Made up my mind to get the Summicron 35mm ASPH tommorrow.

Great choice. It's one of my favourite lens, I really regret selling it a while back, I will definitely buy one again at some point.

Not advertising for my lens.. I personally feel the 35/f1.2 is an amazing lens. Zero flare even shot directly at the sun...

4513749177_b72ea18e1e.jpg

At f1.2, I believe no other 35mm can match....