Len: M42 screw-mount user fall-in :B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, this is m42 mount. This lens is quite common and marketed in different oem name.
Optical performance I am not sure for this one. I do have some samyang made lens and the image quality is very good. Slow aperture speed although.

Here are pictures of the mount...

P1000563.jpg

P1000562.jpg

Macrob - From what I have googled, seems Samyang is the OEM for US brands such as Vivitar and Phoenex. Not sure of the quality though

Alvin : Thanks for the tip! Hope to see you get your adapter soon...Saturn has returned!

alvin,

Can you post some of your shots using your manual screw lens? specially the f1.7?

alvin,

Can you post some of your shots using your manual screw lens? specially the f1.7?

??? Are you referring to someone else, instead of me? (I'm confused)

My 50mm f/1.7 is a Pentax manual lens in K-mount, not in M42 mount. I'll be trying out the 30mm f/3.5 Pentacon M42 lens (which I got recently) in a coming tour... wait for me to return in mid December and I'll let you know more.

You got your M42 to Pentax K mount already?

@alvinsclee

not yet ... i'm planning to get a flash instead..

@alvinsclee

not yet ... i'm planning to get a flash instead..

don't forget Fengwei's offer...he is selling the af360 now.
I bought mine from another forumer just one week earlier. Now trying it out.

How is your af360 ? is it good?

He just got one Pentax K adapter and a nice S-M-C Takumar 50/1.5 ;)

I see, he got the bundled sale from you ;) S-M-C Takumar 50mm/1.4 is very good lens... it was said to be one of the best 50mm lenses from Pentax! Congrats and welcome to the world of M42 lenses, TrailSeeker :)

Hi
Need help fella...

My M42 to K-mount Adapter arrived and it fits the Samyang lens but I can't get it to take pictures plus it does not zoom!

Although it is listed as a zoom lens, the adjustment seems to be focussing it instead plus the camera unable to take pictures. The Aperture mode kept in flashing. I am also concerned if the metal ring will short out all the pins on the camera body since its all metal.

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

if its a zoom lens, there will be 2 adjustments. 1 for focal length and 1 for aperture.
if not, then it shd b a prime lens.
if its a M42 lens. it will not autofocus.And you will have to stop down the aperture manually to change the aperture.
pls set the cam to A or M mode.
use the AEL button to set the sutter speed once you confirm the aperture.

From the picture, the zoom control is a push-pull type, where you push it away for 28mm and pull it towards you for 70mm.

You will need to change settings in custom functions. One is to enable shutter release when using lens with aperture ring, the other is to enable focus confirmation with M42 lens.

M42 lens will work in stop-down mode on K mount cameras, where viewfinder becomes darker when a small aperture is chosen. You can use Av mode and camera will select shutter speed.

Hi
Need help fella...

My M42 to K-mount Adapter arrived and it fits the Samyang lens but I can't get it to take pictures plus it does not zoom!

Although it is listed as a zoom lens, the adjustment seems to be focussing it instead plus the camera unable to take pictures. The Aperture mode kept in flashing. I am also concerned if the metal ring will short out all the pins on the camera body since its all metal.

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

Where did you get the adaptor from? The one I bought from PQ23 is almost identical to the Pentax original ones... it sits flushed with the camera body and does not even touch the electrical contacts. If you've got the one that covers the contacts, check that it is not the one that gives infinity-focus problems.

Yes, you have to stop down the lens manually. Switch the lens to manual mode if there is such a switch on the lens and try turning the aperture ring... the diaphragm blades should stop down to the aperture indicated on the ring. Good for you if this works... otherwise read the next paragraph for some DIY tips.

If there is no such manual/auto switch on the lens and the diaphragm blades do not stop down when turning the aperture ring, then some simple modification is needed: you have to push the 'stop-down pin' (the one jutting out at the M42 screw end) down and keep it down with a dab of superglue (just a bit will do and press it down for a minute... do not use too much glue or it will flow into the optical elements). If you can think of other ways to keep the pin down, of course it will be better than the permanent superglue solution.

When all is done, use the manual mode to take your pictures. Also, remember to switch to MF (AF will allow the camera to operate if, and only if, your focus is pin-point on target... better to use MF for some leeway). By the way, did you forget to set the "use aperture ring" mode to "permitted" under the custom settings of your K100D?

I'm back..

fengwei , thanks.. :) This is a very wonderful lens.. :)

I like it! I love those bokeh it creates..

311928889_ccc63f1e03.jpg

311931048_42db86d32a.jpg

I'm back..
fengwei , thanks.. :) This is a very wonderful lens.. :)
I like it! I love those bokeh it creates..
Hey TrailSeeker,
You've got good M42 stuff from Fengwei :) You won't regret the ownership of these wonderful lenses, especially after reading the following reviews...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-02-05-02.shtml
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-02-09-22.shtml
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-02-11-24.shtml

Did you also get the Pentax AF360 P-TTL flash? Fengwei's package is rather attractive... I'd have bought it if I have no other flash (I already own an old non-dedicated auto-thyristor flash... Starblitz Pro-5000 GTZ-Twin)

Cheers! - from one Alvin to another Alvin... haha, we Pentax and M42 lens enthusiasts should all gather together someday for a sharing session ;)

nope.. I'm planning to get SIGMA 500 flash..
maybe next month ...

nope.. I'm planning to get SIGMA 500 flash..
maybe next month ...
Off-topic:
Just be careful if you do get old second-hand flash... some of the old ones have very high trigger voltages that may damage the camera... Pentax *ist is said to be able to take up to flash trigger voltages of 25V-30V... don't know about K100D (I presume it should be about the same).

My old Starblitz has trigger voltage of about 11.15V (I used a voltmeter to measure it after the flash was charged at full power manual mode) and I find it OK on the K100D so far :)

Back to M42 lens:
So far, preliminary tests on my Pentacon 30mm/3.5 is wonderful and Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm/3.5 is superb! Will post pictures after my Myanmar tour :)

another sample of my screw lens.

314061936_6bfa5b551f.jpg

313969829_357373da7f.jpg

314062363_88ea5497bd.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.