Leica noob

garbage

Mar 18, 2004
I'm a first time Leica user. Bought a used M8 from this forum and paired it with a v4 35mm cron also from this forum. Just wanted to tell the story of my journey.

I was really intrigued by Leica when I saw the model T at Click (Funan). I've read about it before, but did not pay much attention to it. After that, I was checking up on prices and reading more on Leica and eventually decided that a used M8 would be a good entry point to see if I'm comfortable with shooting prime lens, and a rangefinder system at that. May sound ambitious to some at first, but I do have some experience with fully manual cameras.

My first camera was my dad's Nikon FM2 and F2A. That was around 25 years ago. I shot film and Ilford B&W. I had some cross-processed prints. I printed some of my B&W prints in a darkroom. I used Nikon zoom lenses. The feel of the camera and the ability to control it was what I really enjoyed. That's the type of camera that I grew up with. But developing and printing film is a slow process for learning photography for a youth. I subsequently shot lesser and lesser. Only did contact prints, and never printed anything much. I remembered there was once in Yosemite where a lady came up to me and commented that we had the same camera (we brought ours out then). It was such a nice surprise, that chance meeting.

Fast forward to some years back, I got a Canon 350D with the kit lens (from here as well). Never really figured out how to use it. The feel was totally different, the control was just not there. I kept getting flashing numbers on the screen when trying to shoot at certain exposure. It was totally frustrating. I eventually sold it off and got a new Ricoh GX100 after the rave reviews and great pictures I've seen on this site.

Then the iPhone came along and became the defacto camera of choice for me.

That's until now. I've been using this camera for around 3 weeks. The first day with the M8 I did around 80 shots. It's almost like relearning how to shoot a manual camera. It's fun, and the images produced are rewarding.

Just sharing some of my pictures here. When shooting at SAF50@Vivo, someone said to me "that's a nice camera". I thanked him for the compliment.

What I'm shooting with:
$photo.jpg

Recent shots from Sunday:
SAF50@Vivo

Welcome to the slippery slope. Enjoy the ride!! :)