leica new 90mm macro M lens

gtan

Jan 26, 2005
just read that leica has made a new 90mm f4 macro M lens. would appreciate your thoughts on this. it seems a light travel lens but how does one focus when its not through the lens especially for close focussing? also the relatively slow f4 makes me a little hesitant . thanks

I think I will buy the macro adaptor. It can be used for my 50mm & 35mm lens on the M240 body. Looks good.

Hi, I'm interested in macro too. May I know what macro adapter u using?

Hi, I'm interested in macro too. May I know what macro adapter u using?
am just venturing into macro with the M system and would appreciate your advice! i am concerned that the focussing using rangefinder will not be accurate for macro shots

I think I will buy the macro adaptor. It can be used for my 50mm & 35mm lens on the M240 body. Looks good.

kk, how will the 50mm perform with e macro adaptor in terms of focussing ease and image quality seeing i don't think the 50 mm was designed for macros unlike the 90 mm macro f4?

This new adapter I think at least in the macro-range require LiveView of M240. Will let u know when I get mine in early June.

This new adapter I think at least in the macro-range require LiveView of M240. Will let u know when I get mine in early June.
gommy is right, the macro feature (in macro setup - adaptor on and extended) requires the live view on the new macro-elmar-m 90f/4. when not using it for close focusing, you can use the normal RF coupled view.

the lens is a nice compact e39 collapsible lens, which would make a nice travel telephoto.

the macro feature comes only with the macro-adaptor-m, which effectively pushes the lens further from the sensor, allowing the close focussing and 1:2 magnification. the adaptor can also mount other lenses e.g. 50mm, and the macro effect will be much the same...

the neat thing about matching the new macro-elmar-m 90f/4 and the macro-adaptor-m, is that's it's the adaptor on and lens extended, it is a macro lens with close focusing. but when collapsed (with adaptor on), it functions as a normal 90f4... but it's not quite the same as if you extent without the adaptor on, because with the adaptor on, you loose the RF coupling, so you'll need to use LV.

Last edited:
just read that leica has made a new 90mm f4 macro M lens. would appreciate your thoughts on this. it seems a light travel lens but how does one focus when its not through the lens especially for close focussing? also the relatively slow f4 makes me a little hesitant . thanks
i suppose you would have to trade offs among the summicron, summarit, elmarit, and the elmar... and the application that you are intending for it. that been said, this lens (and adaptor) are expected to cost a pretty penny...

I just hope that the variable extension is continuous with a long throw, and not just an extension with 2 settings. this would allow it to better help macro focusing.

It is the same old 90mm F4 lens. real difference is the macro adapter (a new OUFRO, no optical elements) that only works on live view cameras ie. M240.

Not sure if everyone can see my post on FaceBook.

Sharing what I have figured out wrt Old vs New Macro Elmar & Macro Adapter M.
https://www.facebook.com/gommyMac/media_set?set=a.10152467333590270.1073741836.555205269&type=1

The new Macro adapter appears visually to be twice the height of the OUFRO when fully extended. Does it effectively increase the macro magnification factor? It should perform well with other M lenses for macro magnification, correct?

The new Macro adapter appears visually to be twice the height of the OUFRO when fully extended. Does it effectively increase the macro magnification factor? It should perform well with other M lenses for macro magnification, correct?
For the 90mmacro, magnification increase from !:3 to !:2 with the new adapter. MFD with old is 0.5m and new is 0.41m,
Work with other M lenses too.
Can you see my Facebook post, Bahyee? :)

For the 90mmacro, magnification increase from !:3 to !:2 with the new adapter. MFD with old is 0.5m and new is 0.41m,
Work with other M lenses too.
Can you see my Facebook post, Bahyee? :)

Thanks. Chino.