Leica INSANE SG pricing..

Check out NPC Photo, he's a really cool guy. Tell him Adam sent you. He doesn't play funny games with prices etc. He's not always the cheapest, but again a good guy. You'll have to do your own research if you want the absolute lowest in pricing, but NPC and HK in general will be cheaper then most anywhere else in the world when it comes to Leica gear. Maybe some China shops are selling cheaper, but I don't read Mandarin and my wife refuses to get involved with my camera gear purchasing. Right now I think you can get M240 or M262 for around $5,500 brand new at his shop. N lenses are cheap cheap.

Many thanks Adam and much appreciated.

I support you:thumbsup:

I support you:thumbsup:

Haha thanks!
Let's also hope that Fuji supports me should something go wrong with the X-T2 cameras I'm thinking about using for work.

So far so good. Wrote an email to Fuji to ask why they gave us 126 batteries with our X-T2 pre-orders (was more wondering if they were safe to use since they get SOO HOT) and the next day got an email apology and a mass SMS to everyone to swap out the batteries for 126S batteries... That's phenomenal service!

I personally do not buy from Leica Sg. After dealing with them a couple of times, they just didn't convince me to spend on them. I had rather poor service experience with a used m9 i bought, and also a few incidents that happened with my friends that made me feel that their service is simply not up to standard. Besides that, i do have the same feeling as Adam that they only cherish those customers who will buy from them with no question ask. If that's the kind of customers they are after, sorry to say that i rather put my money well spend on other sellers.

As for fuji, i had a fair share of experience with them. After sales service is improving, but you may still experience some hiccups here and there occasionally. That's fine as long as things were resolved in the end. I sold away all my fuji gears when I bumped into some limitation which i was not able to overcome easily, that's just my personal problem by the way. Fuji cameras are pretty decent in producing good results if you know how to deal with the x trans sensor, which can be tricky. My only "issue" with fuji is their community and staffs who always brand bashing in order to make their products look better. I don't see why is there a need to do so, but that really irritates me. Another issue with fuji sg is also their pricing, which can be ridiculous as compared to other region too. They try to "compensate" by giving free gifts that you probably won't use/need in order to offset the value and make you feel that the camera is cheap. That being said, if you hunt down local used market you do can get very good bargain at times to build up your system quickly.

I am still searching for another system to hop on when eventually my M goes on holiday. Just hope that things will be smooth when it happens...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I personally do not buy from Leica Sg. After dealing with them a couple of times, they just didn't convince me to spend on them. I had rather poor service experience with a used m9 i bought, and also a few incidents that happened with my friends that made me feel that their service is simply not up to standard. Besides that, i do have the same feeling as Adam that they only cherish those customers who will buy from them with no question ask. If that's the kind of customers they are after, sorry to say that i rather put my money well spend on other sellers.

As for fuji, i had a fair share of experience with them. After sales service is improving, but you may still experience some hiccups here and there occasionally. That's fine as long as things were resolved in the end. I sold away all my fuji gears when I bumped into some limitation which i was not able to overcome easily, that's just my personal problem by the way. Fuji cameras are pretty decent in producing good results if you know how to deal with the x trans sensor, which can be tricky. My only "issue" with fuji is their community and staffs who always brand bashing in order to make their products look better. I don't see why is there a need to do so, but that really irritates me. Another issue with fuji sg is also their pricing, which can be ridiculous as compared to other region too. They try to "compensate" by giving free gifts that you probably won't use/need in order to offset the value and make you feel that the camera is cheap. That being said, if you hunt down local used market you do can get very good bargain at times to build up your system quickly.

I am still searching for another system to hop on when eventually my M goes on holiday. Just hope that things will be smooth when it happens...

Interesting points on Fuji. I actually wondered that a bit too, why price high and give gifts. And also why bash other companies to make your company look better (Leica does this too BTW). Math wise $2600 for X-T2 but give two $90 batteries and a bunch of other things I won't use. So really it's $2420 per unit. In USA (might not be the cheapest around) the pricing is $2170 sgd no gifts. So $250 difference which isn't really fair, but if you add the 7% sales tax to the $2170 amount it does bring the prices closer. Still not fair, but better then Leica by far :p

Anyway, I've tried everything so if you've got questions or needs you're welcome to msg me and we can discuss the pros and cons of each system. Save you from having to do what I did, which is buy and test everything :(

And who knows with me, I might not stick with Fuji. I might go back to where I started all these years ago with a Canon setup. But for now I'll give the Fuji a fair shot. And will use whatever Leica gear I have left for fun, until it all sells.

Last edited:
Interesting points on Fuji. I actually wondered that a bit too, why price high and give gifts. And also why bash other companies to make your company look better (Leica does this too BTW). Math wise $2600 for X-T2 but give two $90 batteries and a bunch of other things I won't use. So really it's $2420 per unit. In USA (might not be the cheapest around) the pricing is $2170 sgd no gifts. So $250 difference which isn't really fair, but if you add the 7% sales tax to the $2170 amount it does bring the prices closer. Still not fair, but better then Leica by far :p

Anyway, I've tried everything so if you've got questions or needs you're welcome to msg me and we can discuss the pros and cons of each system. Save you from having to do what I did, which is buy and test everything :(

And who knows with me, I might not stick with Fuji. I might go back to where I started all these years ago with a Canon setup. But for now I'll give the Fuji a fair shot. And will use whatever Leica gear I have left for fun, until it all sells.

Spend sometime with your fuji. There're a lot to love (and hate :p) about their camera but generally the experience was pretty pleasing :)

Was having a conversation with one of the mods.. Thought it MIGHT be interesting to share on the forum for those who care to read. I'm sure most have similar stories. But I think writing it down would help people to understand why I'd want to sell such nice items (since everyone who buys from me, always asks why I'm selling my Leica gear). It's not because I love SONY or FUJI or want the speed of CANON. It's just because I'm no longer happy with the way Leica Singapore and Leica in general treats it's customers who are working professionals. Who are trying to make a living while getting a bit of joy out of the gear they use. Heck I can make a living with any camera made from 2008 onwards, but I enjoy using Leica.

This is the last time I'm going to write on the issue. On any forum. And the last comment I'm going to make on the subject. As I'm almost done selling my remaining Leica gear and I just want to get back to having fun with my photography passion. Instead of being angry that Leica isn't the brand I want it to be.

It didn't start with the M9, but at one point I bought a M9 overseas because it was cheaper. Leica Singapore took issue with it, and were troublesome with warranty issues. So for a while I bought local SG gear out of fear that they wouldn't fix in a timely manner (when the prices weren't so vastly different or when stock was low overseas) because I thought it was easier and helped to support Leica in Singapore. Also the 50APO for a time was only available here. I bought one, and it was defective and was away for so long that I bought another one in the meantime. The price dropped so much on the 50APO by the time they sent my lens back that I basically just gave Leica a ton of money to hold onto a lens for me. No apologies, no compensation.. In fact the opposite I was told I should be lucky to even own one, since the lens is the best lens ever made (right from the CEOs mouth during a phone conversation).

Truth be told, for a while it was impossible to get M240 cameras and I needed 4 for work (I have three loaded and ready to go, I shoot with two cameras on me and one is a backup that sits at home incase one of my cameras needed to go to Germany for the then 4-6 months it took to fix things). So I had no choice but to buy from Leica SG. And even then, I was on pre-order and they refused to let me buy a M240 unless I purchased with a Noctilux (a lens I already owned). Furious I had to complain to the CEO to get them to sell me without forcing me to buy in a bundle. Two separate shop staff told me Sunil's orders.. Sunil told the then CEO he didn't know his staff was playing games with customers.

Really gave them a LOT of business, too much business. My S-system I bought from them because they promised that if anything goes wrong with lenses or bodies they would give me a loaner on the spot (funny thing is, they never honoured that verbal agreement I'm without one of my lenses due to AF failure and nobody offered to lend me one). They also said they would do the same for M lenses because I'm a good customer and a working pro. Again no honouring of verbal agreement (direct from Sunil btw). I've essentially had to buy doubles of all my work gear. So not shopping in HK I think I wouldn't be able to sustain the Leica system. I sold one S-system to my friend and he had to FIGHT with Leica to get a loaner when the unit was sent in. Leica so petty gave him an old S2. Ridiculous when you pay so much for the platinum warranty which entitles you to a loaner. If it were me in there, I think I would have smashed things.

I'm leaving out a lot of drama and other issues in-between... To much to list, will turn into a much more maddening rant.

So after a while I just gave up on buying here in SG. Now I buy all my stuff in HK. SAVE for the SL+Zoom because I was PROMISED the SL line was going to be very strictly controlled price. And that it would be +/- a few hundred dollars difference due to taxes and exchange rates.. So I thought what the heck, why not trust Sunil he wouldn't lie to me... Low and behold one month later my HK dealer is trying to sell me a unit $5,000 SGD cheaper. I decline but don't tell my dealer I got one in SG so every time the price drops he tries to entice me to buy. After the 3 month mark the difference was almost $8,000 SGD!!!
Leica even dropped the price a bit in Singapore and offered up a free lens. But never extended the offer to the loyal customers who bought SL straight away on pre-order...
apologies, adamdewilde. i understand your intention to benefit the Leica community here in Singapore, and i understand some of the frustration in your expectations on their service, exacerbated by some unfortunate demand and supply movements. while there would be less of an issue chatting about prices, mark-ups, price-differentials, product quality, service quality, etc... unfortunately, parts of your post have come across as rants calling out individuals, going beyond facts to speculate and insinuate on their intentions. for which, i have to draw the line.

unfortunately, there is no way for me to appropriately / fairly edit your post, as such, i have deleted your post (parts still remain in the quote above).

however, the thread remains open.

apologies, adamdewilde. i understand your intention to benefit the Leica community here in Singapore, and i understand some of the frustration in your expectations on their service, exacerbated by some unfortunate demand and supply movements. while there would be less of an issue chatting about prices, mark-ups, price-differentials, product quality, service quality, etc... unfortunately, parts of your post have come across as rants calling out individuals, going beyond facts to speculate and insinuate on their intentions. for which, i have to draw the line.

unfortunately, there is no way for me to appropriately / fairly edit your post, as such, i have deleted your post (parts still remain in the quote above).

however, the thread remains open.

Totally understandable (as to not discredit this topic, I'd just like to state I have quite a few emails back and forth as proof of their intentions). But my post was more meant to serve as a way to explain that anyone else who has felt cheated over the years isn't alone. Nothing really more then that.

And of course I wanted to note there are quite a number of really awesome and reasonable dealers in HK who just wanna make a living. And quite a few of them actually really love Leica gear and shoot the streets of HK quite often (HK is an interesting place to shoot street work for those who haven't been!).

I wonder if this sort of price gouging thing doesn't extend to other luxury goods? Rolex, Ferrari, etc.

I wonder if this sort of price gouging thing doesn't extend to other luxury goods? Rolex, Ferrari, etc.

You might fall off your seat if you find out how much a normal car costs here, let alone a Ferrari. Let's just say the prices are eye-watering. A big house in Mountain View Ca can probably be bought for what we pay for a Ferrari here.

Haha thanks! Let's also hope that Fuji supports me should something go wrong with the X-T2 cameras I'm thinking about using for work. So far so good. Wrote an email to Fuji to ask why they gave us 126 batteries with our X-T2 pre-orders (was more wondering if they were safe to use since they get SOO HOT) and the next day got an email apology and a mass SMS to everyone to swap out the batteries for 126S batteries... That's phenomenal service!

One thing about differential pricing that it's sadly always based geographically but we do have the final choice to make and it's a good thing. (

Let's just talk about Fuji. To my knowledge & (which I may totally wrong), Fuji SG / any overseas bases don't have much room to set their own pricing and it's mainly set by Tokyo. For reasons they only know , SG has always incurred a higher pricing (GST, charges by 3rd party importer companies helps in jacking up prices across all brands) , Fuji SG knows this and as such ,works hard for the local market by providing as many useful freebies as possible to match.

One glance and you know obviously most brands don even bother to do this. And most if not all brands do engage in differential pricing.

There will be people who only care about lowest possible prices and give no hoots about warranty, no one can judge, it's all personal decisions. They will say they need nothing else and only want the body and it's great for them since there's many options too like flying to Canada to save $400 off a X-T2 body. For that, as a consumer - great, as there's choices.

For the batt exchange program , Fuji SG based that decision on only 1 person (not even local) who highlighted the possible issue and decided to do an en-masse switch, even though there is no evidence of this issue being a widespread issue even until today.

Nothing is more important that ensuring users know that the brand is clear about its polices and that consumers are important.

Back to this,

Let's move on bro, Consumers aren't silly & that's a fact. What u did was to provide a diff view to consumers maybe ignorant about differential pricing and I think the message is very clear.

Last edited:
You might fall off your seat if you find out how much a normal car costs here, let alone a Ferrari. Let's just say the prices are eye-watering. A big house in Mountain View Ca can probably be bought for what we pay for a Ferrari here.

Yes, but slightly different circumstance and a much bigger hassle for import.
I'm talking a $200 flight to HK vs a lot more hassle to bring in a luxury car. Though you do save quite a bit more $$ bringing in a luxury car then buying locally.

Though you are right about a house in Mountain View Ca vs car :D Also both have a good chance of catching fire. Just that the car will do it in style on Orchard road while a thousand people snapchat it.

Also both have a good chance of catching fire. Just that the car will do it in style on Orchard road while a thousand people snapchat it.

Wah brutal. Hahahahahaha.

a leica user friend of mine went HK last wk , bought leica gear there for the first time: got 50apo and noctilux, i think he said he saved 5-6k ! compared to if buying in Sg!He then went to buy some high end audio stuff earpiece...he just said something like:" not sure, the left and right earpiece sounded a bit not right" they say ok, fine, open another new set, try till he satisfied type of service for a first time customer!!!

Maybe it is partly a volume deal. HK needs a lot more volume/supply vs SG so less supply goes to the red dot price therefore increases. I apologize if this has already been said. Especially for baller products like Leica.

a leica user friend of mine went HK last wk , bought leica gear there for the first time: got 50apo and noctilux, i think he said he saved 5-6k ! compared to if buying in Sg!He then went to buy some high end audio stuff earpiece...he just said something like:" not sure, the left and right earpiece sounded a bit not right" they say ok, fine, open another new set, try till he satisfied type of service for a first time customer!!!

Wah, save 5-6k, sure not? When it's too good to be true, it's too good to be true. Careful of defective, refurbished or counterfeit. also these people can sell you with accessories that are waaay above its real price to cover back the money. I nearly kana before long time ago at Sim Lim, so pls be xtra careful no matter how cheap.