Leica 21mm f1.4 vs f2.8 vs f3.4

10cents

Jun 9, 2013
singapore
Hi just need some advice which 21mm will be more recommended for M240?

kindly provide some reason for the suggestion just thinking is it worth going f1.4?
or 3.4 is good enough and whats the differences other than the price and f-stop

Thanks

Hi just need some advice which 21mm will be more recommended for M240?

kindly provide some reason for the suggestion just thinking is it worth going f1.4?
or 3.4 is good enough and whats the differences other than the price and f-stop

Thanks
I think the more pertinent question to ask is whether you want to shoot low light, and are you willing to consider non-Leica alternatives.

F3.4 is a very good lens when one talks about corner to corner sharpness, low distortion and compact size. I loved it when I owned it.
Here is a sample shot on 21mm SEM:

L1000865-1 by sillbeers15

However it cannot give you the ability to shoot shallow depth of field like below shot by a 21mm Summilux ASPH:

L1006663-1 by sillbeers15

go for the lux...else the 3.4 is much lighter and more compact but slower in low light shooting.

Have you thought of the Voigtlander range? The f1.8 has some very positive reviews, compared to the Leica version.

F3.4 is a very good lens when one talks about corner to corner sharpness, low distortion and compact size. I loved it when I owned it.
Here is a sample shot on 21mm SEM:

L1000865-1 by sillbeers15

However it cannot give you the ability to shoot shallow depth of field like below shot by a 21mm Summilux ASPH:

L1006663-1 by sillbeers15

Hi sillbeers15, the 2nd photo looks nice.

understand that the mini distance for leica lens are 0.7m away the object. how did you manage to shoot that so near
that's what I looking for from a 21mm, I can do that when I use to own DSLR lenses

I tried the summilux at the leica store, its big and the filter size is hard to get if going to hunt for a CPL filter
for the 21mm 3.4 seem compact, lot of review say don't get away by the f3.4 is not that bad

Hi 10cents,
The shot I used to illustrate my 21mm Lux was not croped or edited. So what you see is what you get.
The 21mm SEM is a very nice lens itself. So if you do not miss the shallow DOF and you have no desire to use the 21mm indoors,...go for the
f3.4. I missed it's compactness.

Yeah, I only managed to secure a Leica UVa filter (used) from ebay. The one I managed to buy from local Leica store was a IR filter,...so that I can still use it on my M8 (if I desire) as a 28mm fast lens.

You can focus to 50cm on the wide CV lenses too, just involves a bit of guessing as the rangefinder is only coupled down to 70cm. Anyway I've been looking at this link quite regularly:
Fast 21mm lens shootout
http://www.ronscheffler.com/techtalk/?page_id=130

Can't decide!

Last edited:
Sometimes it is hard to make purchase decision on what others' opinion.

Just follow your heart on what you want!

My 10cents worth: :) :)
If using M240, you can even consider non-RF 21mm. I've got a OM21mmf2.0. It has got excellent image quality and smooth bokeh and you can go really close(0.2m) and get really shallow DOF:
Both taken @f2.0 on M240
9482908789_a0d2bbc321_c.jpg

9482535409_30ed0a9b46_c.jpg

Last edited:
Having owned 21SEM and moved on to 21Lux, I would say 21Lux can do what a 21SEM and more but it weights more and cost much more.
So if your needs are only about a good 21mm lens that is sharp from edge to edge for outdoor daylight shooting,....21Lux is overkill.

Taken in turkey last December with 21SEM

11kxm55.jpg

51d9gz.jpg

Last edited: