Legal: Posting street photos on web?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sausage

Feb 1, 2002
At home
www.singaporeanimenews.net
I like to take street photos with crowds in the background, and I sometimes focus on single individuals.

I've been wary of putting my photos up on the web, as I feel the subjects may take legal action if they see themselves up there.

Can anyone comment on this issue?

You can't take legal action unless comments are defamatory. The Straits Times publish pictures all the time. Why doesn't anyone sue them? If anyone complains about their picture being up on clubsnap they can always ask for it to be taken off.

Originally posted by maddog
You can't take legal action unless comments are defamatory. The Straits Times publish pictures all the time. Why doesn't anyone sue them? If anyone complains about their picture being up on clubsnap they can always ask for it to be taken off.

The Press? Aren't they a different animal as compared to us? I thought what may apply to them, may not apply the same to us... :dunno:

Originally posted by AdamGoi

The Press? Aren't they a different animal as compared to us? I thought what may apply to them, may not apply the same to us... :dunno:

Yes different animal. Potentially more blood to spill.. :D

Originally posted by AdamGoi
don't think that's really true CK. the same laws apply generally - defamation or slander is still the same regardless of source. and SG has little or no media laws to speak of (i think that's something that the new Media Development Authority should look into). and given the sheer amount of info the media handles, the potential for damage is even greater than the average person, so internally they usually practice tighter rules and regulations...

that's my take anyway... :D

It gets more complicated when the shots are of a candid nature, ie not posed. The subject may not like the depiction portrayed.

when people see their pictures up on the papers, they go WOW!
when people see their pictures up on the internet, they go OH NO!

:dunno:

Unless you post someone's picture with ill intent to harm, defame, disgrace, or with bad taste descriptions etc. which the other party must proof. Otherwise, all they can do is request that you take them down. The picture is still yours. That is also to say, unless they found their pictures on your website, otherwise, on one can do anything about it. Law in US is slightly different, posting of minor's picture without the parent's consent can be serious offence.;)

There was a thread on this some time ago... you can search the forums. As a matter of fact, it was in the news as well.

okie..

but what about the event when one is snapping a act of good will ?

eg : good samartians helping a a lady who was out cold in the middle of a busy place ??

in cases like tis do the photographer still retain the rite to the film even when the relatives demand that they be given the negs ??

just my 2¢ worth

i think if the picture is taken in good light...they wouldnt mind...but of couse the ideal would be ask for permission first. think also impt that if u wanna post on online forums, pick one that is more reputable like clubsnap...if u get what i mean hehe.

when i helped out at the duck race last year this two guys trailed my friend while i was with her for quite some time to take photos of us helping out. everytime they tried to take a photo the crowd blocked them or we started walking away. they finally bought some stuff we were selling, asked permission, took a photo and gave us contacts if we could use if we wanted to have a copy of the photo.

but i feel that if the person doesnt want to be taken a picture of, it's his right. and if he demands u give him the negatives i think it's the right thing to do. but now with digital cams, juz delete the pic lor :)

Status
Not open for further replies.