LCD Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Samsung.

They are considered almost the best in the screen business. It's a reason their phones sell so well.

Haha... Maybe if I play golf really well, my tennis will improve. :D

I think the Samsung 205BW is an 8 bit panel. Price is not too bad. About the same as the Viewsonic VX2025WM.

I was wrong. The Samsung 205BW is not an 8 bit panel. It says in the specs that it can only display 16.2m colours. :(

I was thinking of buying this over the weekend because they are giving some freebie... but I guess it's a bad idea.

Samsung 205BW Specification

For a 6-bit panel, the price is very high....

This is DELL 2007WFP color reproduction compare with Adobe RGB and sRGB (gray color). I'm very happy with my buy.

Calibrated using Eye-one Display 2 using software version 3.6.1

68384752.jpg

68384721.jpg

The Dell indeed looks good .. but exp also :( .. somemore I read somewhere that they keep on changing the producer of their LCD, so how can we know that it still the 8 bit one?

Anyway I think i will wait until pricing hit below 500 :p ....

THe next cheaper one for 20inch wide is Viewsonic right? around $639.

You can get smaller one lo :)

Anyway happy hunting

THe next cheaper one for 20inch wide is Viewsonic right? around $639.

You can get smaller one lo :)

Anyway happy hunting

The Viewsonic VX2025 is the 20inch wide one. It costs $569. It's a nice panel. My brother is using it.

thinking of getting Dell 1907 until I read that it's 6bit now:(

so any 19 inch 8-bit? (not widescreen?)

I was wrong. The Samsung 205BW is not an 8 bit panel. It says in the specs that it can only display 16.2m colours. :(

I was thinking of buying this over the weekend because they are giving some freebie... but I guess it's a bad idea.

Samsung 205BW Specification

For a 6-bit panel, the price is very high....
double standard?
http://www.samsung.com/au/products/monitors/tft/tvmonitor/205bw.asp?page=Specifications

same goes as viewsonic 2025wm... saw some site quoting up to 16.2m while some 16.7m ?_?

The easiest way to see if a panel is 8 bit or 6 bits is not the number of colors.

8bit panels have at least 170 degrees of viewing angle. 6bit panels are typically <160 degrees.

16.7M colors is misleading as nowadays there are some advance FRC chips that can drive a 6 bit LCD panel to display 16.7M colors through dittering.

The easiest way to see if a panel is 8 bit or 6 bits is not the number of colors.

8bit panels have at least 170 degrees of viewing angle. 6bit panels are typically <160 degrees.

16.7M colors is misleading as nowadays there are some advance FRC chips that can drive a 6 bit LCD panel to display 16.7M colors through dittering.

It is difficult to measure that 10 degrees of difference. Besides the .5M colours and the 10 degrees difference, any other methods to know if it is a 6 or 8bit lcd?

It is difficult to measure that 10 degrees of difference. Besides the .5M colours and the 10 degrees difference, any other methods to know if it is a 6 or 8bit lcd?

You don't have to measure. Most spec sheets very clearly states the viewing angle. Just compare.

If you are at the store and can't get hold of a spec sheet, try this:

- Stand in front of the monitor and note the color/image, etc
- squat down on the floor (without shifting the moitor) so you are looking at the screen from below.

For TN (twisted neumatic) based panels the image should fade drastically when you squat down. TN panels available in the market today are all 6 bits.

For VA (vertical alignment) or IPS (In plane s-something, can't remember the name) panels, they not only have more tha 170 degrees viewing angle but also delivers more consistant image quality as you move to the extreme angles. In this case, you should see that the image fades less. VA/IPS panels are all 8 bit.

You may need to compare both TN and VA/IPs panels before you can gauge what should be the fallout in image quality between them. To do that, look at any monitor above 24" or any 32" and above TVs, they are all VA/IPS.

95% of 17" monitors in the market are all TN based ( cause it's cheaper to produce them) and you can easily get a good gauge with that.

Alternatively, as one of the above posters suggested, get any Dell monitors 20" and above. They are all VA or IPs panels. Dell is the number monitor brand in the world (almost double Samsung who is number 2), they make some very good award winning monitors.

You don't have to measure. Most spec sheets very clearly states the viewing angle. Just compare.

If you are at the store and can't get hold of a spec sheet, try this:

- Stand in front of the monitor and note the color/image, etc
- squat down on the floor (without shifting the moitor) so you are looking at the screen from below.

For TN (twisted neumatic) based panels the image should fade drastically when you squat down. TN panels available in the market today are all 6 bits.

For VA (vertical alignment) or IPS (In plane s-something, can't remember the name) panels, they not only have more tha 170 degrees viewing angle but also delivers more consistant image quality as you move to the extreme angles. In this case, you should see that the image fades less. VA/IPS panels are all 8 bit.

You may need to compare both TN and VA/IPs panels before you can gauge what should be the fallout in image quality between them. To do that, look at any monitor above 24" or any 32" and above TVs, they are all VA/IPS.

95% of 17" monitors in the market are all TN based ( cause it's cheaper to produce them) and you can easily get a good gauge with that.

Alternatively, as one of the above posters suggested, get any Dell monitors 20" and above. They are all VA or IPs panels. Dell is the number monitor brand in the world (almost double Samsung who is number 2), they make some very good award winning monitors.

THanks for the knowledge sharing, Kardtoon. Next time i know what to do when getting new LCD.

Get apple 30". SOLIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!

If you want a 30". Get Dell's version. Even MacHome magazine rated it higher than Apple's.

Same LCD glass. Has built in card reader (9 different card slots), 4 USB ports and a height adjustable stand. Cheaper some more. :D :D

If you want a 30". Get Dell's version. Even MacHome magazine rated it higher than Apple's.

Same LCD glass. Has built in card reader (9 different card slots), 4 USB ports and a height adjustable stand. Cheaper some more. :D :D
:bsmilie: Oso can oso can... no prawn, fish also good :thumbsup:

Samsung has a new model... 971P
Looks like a good one. I think it's selling for $599? Worth a look! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.