LCD / PLASMA TV.. is it time to buy...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
how about sharp LCD? I saw the demo set at harvey norman, its look fantastic...

btw one of the sales person at best denki tell me that not all LCD tv can use for Playstation 3, is it true?

How come? Hoho... Does it means we have to get Sony LCD to tag alone with PS3? :confused:

Perhaps HD ready LCD is suitable for it?

hi guys... just bought Samsung LA32R81BX tonight... will be delivered tomorrow...;)

i took the Starhub HD set box and 1 year subscription of HD plus as freebie...

will update you how this new gadget works...yahooooo...!!! :bsmilie:

hi guys.. planning to buy 32" LCD / PLASMA TV... do you think its time to grab one..?? i noticed how the price slide down so fast...and what brand/model should you recommend..im eyeing on Sony Bravia... thanks...
My family uses a Hitachi Plasma (3yrs old) and a Philips LCD (<1yr). Philips suck to the core, even a 3yr old plasma feels better.

My landlord uses a Hitachi Plasma (1yr old) and a Sharp LCD (6th Gen LCD). Sharp is fantastic!!! The contrast, sharpness, colour.... they are exactly what it should be. Love the setup menu as well. Perfectly done.

Last christmas I saw the Sharp G7 series (7th Gen LCD). WOAH....FANTASTIC MAN!!!! No other brand or panel come close to sharp's 7th Gen LCD. (It's Full HD BTW)

Guys , just sharing my experience here on LCD TV

if you can affort go for LCD. Plasma may have seprior performance in certain aspects but reliability can be an issue. The burn-in problem is a real issue.

TV is something you use everyday, atleast 4 hours / day. It has to be reliable . This is my presonal preference I always buy Jap, brand for TV, Washing Machine and Fridge.

LCDs used to suffer dark area noise problem and slow response time. But this has been dramatically improved in the recent years.

SHARP is atleats 3 years ahead in LCD TV technology and has really good panels. Well designed and well tested TVs.

Samsung is value for money. I've no idea on it;s reliability. Good performance and good
looking.

I stay away from Philips ( due to some past experience - some of thier electrical goods has very poor reliability ).

Sony makes excellent CRT TV , real good video processing. Even today I'm impressed with our 29" bought 10 years ago. However they are new kid in the LCD town. We tested a model 3 years ago and performance not upto competition. I'm not sure where are they today.

Dont simply believe the marketing hypes and specs alone. If you planned to use one for watching HD contents, then get the shop to test it with a 1080i source. Make sure the TV has HDMI input. A TV that accepts HD input and a TV that has HD panels are differnt.
Ask what is the panel resolution. A true HD panel should have 1920x1080 pixels.
But it's not necessary to have a true HD panel to view HD content. A WXGA (1280×720 ) panel will perform very well for sizes upto 37" ( my experience ).

i was watching A.I. (artificial intelligence) last night on Channel 5... and :bigeyes: ... it is really d***ed good...
i never expected its clarity was that good when it comes to watching local channels... so sharp, 3D like images...

tested on my progressive scan DVD as well... and im very much pleased with its performance..

cant wait how HD Discovery and HD National Geographic will look like...:think:

highly recommended guys.... get one now...... :bsmilie:

Just to share a lobang with you guys... Sharp PX5 series LCD TV dropped price already. The 42" model's priced has dropped from $3400 (w/o GST) to $3000 (w/o GST), and you get a HD box plus $300 Takashimaya or NTUC vouchers. Enquired at Parisilk Holland today :)

I think I may go for it already. The 37" one not as good a deal, only dropped $100 ;)

The Starhub HD chanels deliver very cool HD pictures. Only problem is after a while you find that the shows keep repeating and you may get a bit sianz viewing the same shows over. But bo bian, not much choice at the moment.

For others who's interested to learn more abt the LCD vs plasma comparison, this is quite a good summary:

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av/tvs/0,39037594,39169380,00.htm

:)

Regular broadcast is going to look like crap without upscaling on a HDTV, so be warned..

I agree by and large with what Kongo has said about the difference between plasma and LCD. I just bought a 42" plasma although it has a resolution of only 1024x768. I prefer it over higher resolution LCD because it is difficult to achieve true black in LCD (you may think it is black but it is actually bluish) and LCD panels are still struggling to cope with fast moving scene featuring light coloured foreground or background. You can actually see pictures breaking up.

In my opinion, the best LCD TVs are made by Sharp while the best plasmas are from Pioneer and Panasonic.

just happen to see this url and thought might be useful for someone in the market and not sure which to get.

http://hometheatermag.com/lcds/805lg/

In summary, if you are watching your flat screen in a brightly lit room LCD is the way to go and the reverse, Plasma is better.

../azul123

Another thing when you shop for one and are looking at showroom models... check the menu settings, most of the time almost everything is set at 100%. Lighting conditions in the showroom are also different from your home and viewing distances should also be considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.