laptop to get? Acer or Asus

Status
Not open for further replies.

insanne

Jan 23, 2002
Visit site
Hi,

I am looking for a laptop and these are the 3 models that I had narrowed down to, but now I am stuck as to which one to get. Would appreciate it a lot if you guys can suggest something. I will be using it for graphics and CAD progs, budget is approx 2.7K, weight and size not so much of concern.

Aspire 1691WLMi
Intel® Pentium® M Processor 730 (1.6GHz Processor)
Integrated 2048KB L2 cache
533MHz FSB
Intel® 915PM Express chipset
512MB DDR-SDRAM
15.4" WXGA Acer CrystalBrite TFT colour LCD, 1280x800, 16.7M colours
80GB ATA/100 HDD
DVD Dual Double Layer Drive
ATI Mobility™ Radeon™ X600 with 64MB of external DDR video RAM

Acer Travelmate 4003WLMi
Pentium M 1.7Ghz
512MB DDR
80GB HD
15.4" WXGA
DVD+/-RW
Mobility Radeon 9700 with 64MB of external DDR video RAM

Asus M6
Intel® Pentium® M processor 1.6GHz
256MB DDR
15.4" WXGA
60GB HD
ATI Mobility™ Radeon™ 9700, 64MB VRAM
Interchangeable 24X/24X/8X/24X DVD+CD-RW Combo module

I like the Asus one more, but I ask around and some shops said that there are stability problems with the Asus one and it is also more expensive compared to the Acer. I like also the new Acer 1691wlmi but i had not seen it out anywhere yet. I think it's quite a new model, so I am a bit worried about the stability issues.

I will really apprecaite any comments and suggestions.

Thank you in advance!!!

insanne said:
Hi,

I am looking for a laptop and these are the 3 models that I had narrowed down to, but now I am stuck as to which one to get. Would appreciate it a lot if you guys can suggest something. I will be using it for graphics and CAD progs, budget is approx 2.7K, weight and size not so much of concern.

Aspire 1691WLMi
Intel® Pentium® M Processor 730 (1.6GHz Processor)
Integrated 2048KB L2 cache
533MHz FSB
Intel® 915PM Express chipset
512MB DDR-SDRAM
15.4" WXGA Acer CrystalBrite TFT colour LCD, 1280x800, 16.7M colours
80GB ATA/100 HDD
DVD Dual Double Layer Drive
ATI Mobility™ Radeon™ X600 with 64MB of external DDR video RAM

Acer Travelmate 4003WLMi
Pentium M 1.7Ghz
512MB DDR
80GB HD
15.4" WXGA
DVD+/-RW
Mobility Radeon 9700 with 64MB of external DDR video RAM

Asus M6
Intel® Pentium® M processor 1.6GHz
256MB DDR
15.4" WXGA
60GB HD
ATI Mobility™ Radeon™ 9700, 64MB VRAM
Interchangeable 24X/24X/8X/24X DVD+CD-RW Combo module

I like the Asus one more, but I ask around and some shops said that there are stability problems with the Asus one and it is also more expensive compared to the Acer. I like also the new Acer 1691wlmi but i had not seen it out anywhere yet. I think it's quite a new model, so I am a bit worried about the stability issues.

I will really apprecaite any comments and suggestions.

Thank you in advance!!!

hi buddy./....not to feel offended. my opinion for you is...as follow.

looking at the spec is ok..but in term of technology versus your budget. you could have get a good japanese model like toshiba or fujitsu..which has been well known for stabilities and performance. beside they have a good display as compare to AcEr and Asus...those lousy tai wan brand.

do think twice. as i am using a lot of branded laptop and tested their performance. i find that Acer ..Asus often will have overheat problem and hung so often. display was not as impressive as fujitsu.

if you are going for digital photography but u won want to pay for the price of a Apple laptop. you should consider fujitsu.

however, apple ibook G4 also do offer a good buy about 2.2k. speed wise of 1.4G ....is equivalent to X1.5 of normal pentium system. display wise..apple offer very high resolution for editing.

hope the opinion help.

kimu

Hi Kimu,

thanks for your valuable inputs, I appreciate them.

I would love to get a Fujitsu or toshiba, but it's just that the models that they have with a seperate graphic card are very much on the higher side, which are out of my budget. I am not aware of any models from them that has seperate graphic card and low the 2.6k range. But please let me know if you do!

I would love to get a mac too, but unfortunately, I need to run some CAD progs also and they only have them on the WinOS...:(

thank you!!!

insanne said:
Hi Kimu,

I would love to get a Fujitsu or toshiba, but it's just that the models that they have with a seperate graphic card are very much on the higher side, which are out of my budget. I am not aware of any models from them that has seperate graphic card and low the 2.6k range. But please let me know if you do!

I would love to get a mac too, but unfortunately, I need to run some CAD progs also and they only have them on the WinOS...:(

thank you!!!
RAM RAM RAM, more RAM, the merrier.. Go for 1GB (either 2 modules of 512MB).. since you are into graphical programs. Some laptop has integrated on board 256MB RAM. Suggested not to, becos usually there is only 2 slots for memory RAM.

Kimura_papaya said:
if you are going for digital photography but u won want to pay for the price of a Apple laptop. you should consider fujitsu.
What does digital photography got to do with Fujitsu?

I'm currently using a Fujitsu notebook with 1 GB RAM. This is my third Fujitsu notebooks since uni days. Yes, Fujitsu is a very reliable workhorse, and the screen is bright. My last Fujitsu's went by 3 years without servicing. Very reliable, I hardly encountered hung (at least can't recall). However, short battery life (with standard pack, only max 2hrs) and high cost (>$2,500) for a decent machine.

Asus is a new brand? I never heard before.

Acer, taiwanese brand. Cheap, given the specifications that they give. But I heard it's not so stable, although I can't confirm on that. I do have a friend who has an Acer, and he crused and sweared at it, and he said that their customer services suck).

Toshiba, NEC and HP are reliable brands too. Personally I have been using Fujitsu notebooks, so far I'm satisfied with Fujitsu.

My opinion is that Fujitsu and Toshiba notebooks are better known to be more durable (ie can withstand heat more etc etc). If using for long hours (which graphic programs can run up to), then its safer to get Fujitsu/Toshiba (to safeguard tearing the hair out).

Issue aside, I will go for Acer or Aspire because I like the configurations. And never heard much of Asus in notebook performance so give it a miss...

Dreaming of a Mac...

insanne said:
Hi Kimu,

thank you!!!

Hi Insanne,

I used Fujitsu (Lifebook B series), Acer (420 Travelmate) and Toshiba (R100) in that order and found that each had it's own merits. Refering only to my experience with these brands, I can only give you a limited scope based on the models that I have.

Fujitsu Lifebook B-series:
Great touch screen feature. But the battery died within 6 months! But I'm sure since 7 years ago, they would have improved on that. Funny thing is that in Japan, Fujitsu is considered an economical substitution compared to Toshiba! :bigeyes:

Acer Travelmate 420:
Good gaming machine for me. Brought it back to Acer to replace LCD (broke it due to my own fault) and the service staff are nice and helpful. Now still using with no problems so far.

Toshiba R100:
Made in Philippines. My colleagues also use a similar model ('Protege' if I remember correctly) but it's finishing seems much better than my Philippine made one. Psycological??? :think: Anyway, brought it back two months ago for a problem with keyboard (still under warantee) and service was fast and good.

Well, as I said, my experience are with some models in the dinosaur era, I am sure they must have made improvements by now.

For the other brands you mentioned, not too sure about them and cannot give an honest opinion.

Most important to me is the service support. Sometimes even the most reliable brand can be subjected to 'heng-suayness'! :bsmilie:

thank you everyone for your constructive inputs. Just know that there is a computer show coming up in march, so am thinking of waiting till then to see if I can get a good deal during the show.

Thank you once again!

I bought an Asus. bloody beautiful laptop. mine's an M6 also, 1.7 centrino with 1 gig ram
the stability issuey is nonsense, no such thing. I'm pretty rough on my computer somemore.
the design on this computer's great, and it is a joy to work with. some small thoughtful things I like about the Asus is the interchangeable slot on the side: either CD drive or you can get a slot-in extra battery, or you can just remove the whole thing to lighten your laptop.

I also contemplated Acer but frankly acer looks really ugly

Hi Mattlock,

thanks for the info. I really like the Asus over the Acer, but unfortunately, the specs of the Asus is somewhat inferior to the Acer when looking at the same price range. So it like cheap and not so nice or more ex but nice..:(

Does it have any heating issues at all?? Do you mind telling me where you bought it from and how much it costs you?

Thanks a million!!!

acer is value for money but seems to have more user complain reports

I bought an Asus A3N notebook last november'04 during PC show.
Had to send in for servicing during Jan'05.....

On the other hand, my compaq notebook lasted 2 years without any problem...

mattlock said:
I bought an Asus. bloody beautiful laptop. mine's an M6 also, 1.7 centrino with 1 gig ram
the stability issuey is nonsense, no such thing. I'm pretty rough on my computer somemore.
the design on this computer's great, and it is a joy to work with. some small thoughtful things I like about the Asus is the interchangeable slot on the side: either CD drive or you can get a slot-in extra battery, or you can just remove the whole thing to lighten your laptop.

I also contemplated Acer but frankly acer looks really ugly

I fully agree with mattlock. For the past 5 years, I have used 2 Asus laptops. And they are a beauty!

Frankly, I think the stability issue is nonsense. I think its a stereotype to say Taiwanese brands are lousy.

My first asus laptop latest me 3 years without a hitch (not a single hitch). I only replaced it because I misplaced the first one. My 2nd Asus is also running like a beauty right now.

Let me state my personal experience, I have seen my friend's IBM, ACER, Fujitsu & toshiba lappys being sent in for all sort of problems. I am really an envy because I NEVER have such problems.

And my personal experience is that Asus usually give very good price for same specs.

Thinks about it...

Status
Not open for further replies.