K5 Stock

Not much K5 users yet i believe....

Sounds logical.

Anywayz, back to the question, if you're already a Nikon owner with a range of lenses, it make economical sense to stick with Nikon.

But if you're just starting like me (one old Canon body with an old Tokina lens), you can choose either.
My primary attraction to get a K-5 was simply Lots Of Features & Amazing Performance @ Cheap Price & Cheap Accessories.

LOL.

Hot pixel on the CMOS sensor thingy?

Funny as the K-5 is having the same sensor but not hearing that much complaints.

We had quite a few early adopters that took the camera out for long exposure shots during the outing last month. Certainly no hot pixel issue AFAIK (touch wood). Definitely not on any scale that the D7K is seeing. I've not seen any unhappiness on a larger user base like Pentax forums, there is also no such problem from the samples in DPR and IR. D7K on the other hand has had the hot pixel issue on user samples and 2 major review sites.

Nikon has always maintained that the sensor is not the same, but a Nikon specified (if not designed) sensor, manufactured by Sony, so its not exactly the same sensor.
The lack of a pixel mapping function on the D7K has also proved to be a hassle for customers and may have exaggerated the problem.

Last edited:
We had quite a few early adopters that took the camera out for long exposure shots during the outing last month. Certainly no hot pixel issue AFAIK (touch wood). Definitely not on any scale that the D7K is seeing. I've not seen any unhappiness on a larger user base like Pentax forums, there is also no such problem from the samples in DPR and IR. D7K on the other hand has had the hot pixel issue on user samples and 2 major review sites.

Nikon has always maintained that the sensor is not the same, but a Nikon specified (if not designed) sensor, manufactured by Sony, so its not exactly the same sensor.
The lack of a pixel mapping function on the D7K has also proved to be a hassle for customers and may have exaggerated the problem.

Ditto here.
Took some test shots to test for the issue when I first read about it. Nothing spotted.

More importantly, just wanna have fun with the camera.

just pre-ordered my silver DA35 ~ :D :D

I have been using long exposure for 3 days. No problem watsoever.

i don't have the k-5, hot pixel is on the d7k for long exposures? am not in the habit of reading up about other brands.

k-r has no hot pixel issues for long exposures, from my experience. and i have done quite a far bit of long exposures since i got the k-r.. such joy!

i don't have the k-5, hot pixel is on the d7k for long exposures? am not in the habit of reading up about other brands.

k-r has no hot pixel issues for long exposures, from my experience. and i have done quite a far bit of long exposures since i got the k-r.. such joy!

Lucky we get Pentax Kr/K5, seem the discussion in nikon forum about hot pixel quite serious matter :think:

Sadly, I think the situation based on what is discussed in the Nikon sub-forum is very bad.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=773769&page=42

Here is one from DPR on the D7K.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1034&message=36838077&changemode=1

Last edited:
Actually, I think the d7k issue can be resolved by a firmware update. It seems that pixel mapping doesn't work properly...

My k-7 used to have a lot of hot pixels but easily done by pixel mapping...

Got this from SLR Revolution Facebook:

Hi all, this is the latest price for Pentax K5 Body and kit:

1) Pentax K5 Body = $1691 (Available now)
2) Pentax K5 18-55WR, 50-200WR Dual kit = $2087 (Available Now)
Price went up due to instructions from Emjay
3) Pentax 35 F2.4 (Silver and Gold) = $380 (Limited stock)

4) Pentax 18-55WR, 50-200WR = $419
No Free Gifts included
Price is including gst and cash payment

:)

Got this from SLR Revolution Facebook:

Hi all, this is the latest price for Pentax K5 Body and kit:

1) Pentax K5 Body = $1691 (Available now)
2) Pentax K5 18-55WR, 50-200WR Dual kit = $2087 (Available Now)
Price went up due to instructions from Emjay
3) Pentax 35 F2.4 (Silver and Gold) = $380 (Limited stock)

4) Pentax 18-55WR, 50-200WR = $419
No Free Gifts included
Price is including gst and cash payment

:)

Still a good price, but anyhow, does the ones who pre ordered still need to pay as those listed above?

Actually, I think the d7k issue can be resolved by a firmware update. It seems that pixel mapping doesn't work properly...

My k-7 used to have a lot of hot pixels but easily done by pixel mapping...

If you read the complaints on the Nikon thread, it seems that it can't always be mapped out. If the sensor is running hotter and causing pixels to get stuck in that way, then a firmware fix may/may not be the answer.

Anyway, I don't want to talk too much of Nikon issues on a Pentax forum. I'm just thankful that it seems the K5 did not get this problem.
A friend of mine has been considering these two cameras, so we have been looking back and forth for information.

I heard a rumor that they may ask Sony for the A580, K5 sensor instead, and that WILL affect us in terms of K5 short term stock. :nono:
(I said its a rumour........ ;) take it with a pinch of salt (I do) , since you can't just slap on a sensor without the proper characterization and tweaking for performance)

Still a good price, but anyhow, does the ones who pre ordered still need to pay as those listed above?

Just got my pre-ordered K-5 body an hour ago from SLR,
I paid 1,654 as per pre-order price.

K5 is it available in other shops? Is there ample supply now?

marcus

If you read the complaints on the Nikon thread, it seems that it can't always be mapped out. If the sensor is running hotter and causing pixels to get stuck in that way, then a firmware fix may/may not be the answer.

Anyway, I don't want to talk too much of Nikon issues on a Pentax forum. I'm just thankful that it seems the K5 did not get this problem.
A friend of mine has been considering these two cameras, so we have been looking back and forth for information.

I heard a rumor that they may ask Sony for the A580, K5 sensor instead, and that WILL affect us in terms of K5 short term stock. :nono:
(I said its a rumour........ ;) take it with a pinch of salt (I do) , since you can't just slap on a sensor without the proper characterization and tweaking for performance)

Agreed on the last.
Same friend who introduced me to Pentax cameras kept telling me the same thing: that Pentax had the system and body to push their images to the limit since K20d but let down by a less-than-stellar sensor by Samsung.
Now with a superb Sony sensor, they're ready to take on the world.