K20D...any users care to give realtime opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you shoot sports, it's helpful to have equipment which:
1. focuses fast
2. shoots a high FPS
3. is fast (i.e. large aperture).

The Pentax system doesn't have any body which does 1 or 2. There is no current pentax glass which is 2.8 past 200 (although third parties are available). There's older glass, but it's stupendously expensive and has no real advantage. The pentax 200/2.8 is also (in singapore) more expensive than N/C.

Having said all that, the K20D -can- shoot sports. It's just going to be harder, your technique needs to be better. It's a good buy for most general photography.

Note: I own and shoot a K20D + 16-50. For a crop body, I would not buy anything else (or - more accurately - there's nothing worth CHANGING to), although if I was just entering the market now, I would probably buy a D700 (or wait).

Last edited:
The ISO 3200 may not be the best but I believe most other brands may have other issues at high ISO too.

Managed to get a fast moving creature on a bright day with DFA100 f2.8

I did managed a night sports shot with ISO3200, AF-540FGZ and FA80-320. Its an old lens but does pretty well for me between 80-250mm. The lighting there was very dim and subject was some 10m away and of course I did tried to pp the image.

Personally I think if you are in a hurry, Pentax may not be the best and it probably takes alot of luck to get a good sports shot and even more luck if you are in low light. You may want to consider using MF if you think AF speed is the problem.

K20D + Pentax SMC DA 18-55mm AL II Zoom Lens + Pentax SMC DA 50-200mm ED Zoom Lens + Pentax D-BG2 Battery Grip + D-LI50 Battery
$1624

K20D + Pentax SMC DA 18-55mm AL II Zoom Lens + Tamron 70-300mm Di LD Macro Lens + Pentax D-BG2 Battery Grip + 8GB SDHC Card + D-LI50 Battery
$1559

K20D + Pentax DA 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 ED AL IF Lens + Pentax D-BG2 Battery Grip + D-LI50 Battery
$1690

Of the 3, which would be the most value for money combo?

Last edited:
K20D + Pentax SMC DA 18-55mm AL II Zoom Lens + Pentax SMC DA 50-200mm ED Zoom Lens + Pentax D-BG2 Battery Grip + D-LI50 Battery
$1624

K20D + Pentax SMC DA 18-55mm AL II Zoom Lens + Tamron 70-300mm Di LD Macro Lens + Pentax D-BG2 Battery Grip + 8GB SDHC Card + D-LI50 Battery
$1559

K20D + Pentax DA 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 ED AL IF Lens + Pentax D-BG2 Battery Grip + D-LI50 Battery
$1690

The third one.

$1624

$1559

$1690

Value for money, third one. But if reach and night sports is really important to you, the second might just be a little better, giving you a little bit more reach and 1/3 stop more light near the max zoom. The advantage is very marginal; I'll still choose the third one.

IMHO, the consumer level large zooms like the 50-200 or 70-300 are not well suited for the K20D's resolution. Anecdotal evidence only, so take it FWIW: the Sigma 70-300/4-5.6 that was excellent on my old K100DS is pretty hopeless on the K20D beyond 150 mm. Images are way too soft, and need a lot of sharpening in CS3. Even below 150 mm, it needs to be stopped down for acceptable results. Contrast is pretty poor at all focal lengths. Focusing speeds with this lens are lousy.

Also, the old kit lens (18-55) that was pretty decent on the K100DS comes up to be inadequate in contrast and sharpness on the K20D. Focus is very fast though! The Mk-II version of this is supposed to fare better in terms of IQ.

So, K20D needs really good glass to shine. For zooms....either the FA* (if you can find those!) or DA* will be ideal (and expensive!).

If I were you, and shooting sports 'seriously', I wouldn't go for the tamron or sigma 70-300...probably better to look for a 70-200/2.8 range Sigma/tamron/pentax or the DA*16-50 + 50-135 for indoor events. 135 is too short for outdoor events unless you are close to the action; and it's not blazing fast either, when focusing.

Otherwise a Canikon mid range body (40D/D90) with a 70-200 f/4 lens would be a good option. But best to ask for those details in the canikon forums.

$1624

$1559

$1690

what a deal! where these offers came from?

can quote K20D+grip +tokina 11-16/2.8 + tamron 17-50/2.8 + battery?:kiss:

IMHO, the consumer level large zooms like the 50-200 or 70-300 are not well suited for the K20D's resolution. Anecdotal evidence only, so take it FWIW: the Sigma 70-300/4-5.6 that was excellent on my old K100DS is pretty hopeless on the K20D beyond 150 mm. Images are way too soft, and need a lot of sharpening in CS3. Even below 150 mm, it needs to be stopped down for acceptable results. Contrast is pretty poor at all focal lengths. Focusing speeds with this lens are lousy.

Also, the old kit lens (18-55) that was pretty decent on the K100DS comes up to be inadequate in contrast and sharpness on the K20D. Focus is very fast though! The Mk-II version of this is supposed to fare better in terms of IQ.

So, K20D needs really good glass to shine. For zooms....either the FA* (if you can find those!) or DA* will be ideal (and expensive!).

If I were you, and shooting sports 'seriously', I wouldn't go for the tamron or sigma 70-300...probably better to look for a 70-200/2.8 range Sigma/tamron/pentax or the DA*16-50 + 50-135 for indoor events. 135 is too short for outdoor events unless you are close to the action; and it's not blazing fast either, when focusing.

Otherwise a Canikon mid range body (40D/D90) with a 70-200 f/4 lens would be a good option. But best to ask for those details in the canikon forums.
opinions on using adapters to fit other brands lens on Pentax body?

opinions on using adapters to fit other brands lens on Pentax body?
Usually people do it the other way round, e.g. pentax Limitd lenses on Canon bodies. Ha. Pentax Lenses are superb but the bodies are sometimes lacking...

this is what i am planning on,

Pentax K20D~I dont do sports everyday or for a living so the D300 might be overkill for my usage.
Tamron 70-300mm~The extra range would be useful + has a 6 year warranty + hood.

as for the 50mm, what is the pricing like locally and how many versions are there?

i will get more lens for this system as when needed.

*If planning for events like snapshots or even the occassional wedding, what external flash is recommended? If planning to do strobing, what kind of setup generally?

Last edited:

Pentax K20D~I dont do sports everyday or for a living so the D300 might be overkill for my usage.

as for the 50mm, what is the pricing like locally and how many versions are there?

*If planning for events like snapshots or even the occassional wedding, what external flash is recommended? If planning to do strobing, what kind of setup generally?

Good choice on the camera :thumbsup:

The Tamron 70-300 is a good lens, anther option is Sigma 70-300. Both lenses are pretty much similar. Currently there is a Tamron 70-300 selling at b&s forum if you don't mind a second hand one :)

As for 50mm, currently there is only one version that is still under production: FA50/1.4. All the rest are history already. All 50mm lenses are very good, from early Super Takumar to K50, M/A50, F/FA50, any one will be far better than any zoom lenses no matter how good/expensive the zoom lens is. There are some third party ones too like Ricoh, Cosina, Vivitar, even Zeiss 50/1.4 (PKA mount). Pentax alone have made over 20 versions of 50mm lenses :bsmilie:

I'm not a flash guy, but I do suggest to get the 540 flash straight away. It's slightly expensive, but worth the extra over the 360 I think.

Good luck.

Welcome to our family :D... next please be ready to set aside at least another 3K... cos u will need it with the posion u get from us :bsmilie:

welcome. There's also a 50/1.4 on sale if you don't mind secondhand ;)

Welcome to our family :D... next please be ready to set aside at least another 3K... cos u will need it with the posion u get from us :bsmilie:

i blew near half that budget on a FA31 Limited alone on my trip to HK recently... :cry: this is a very toxic brand indeed hahaha!!

The Limited lenses are true beauties in the current lack-of-build-quality lens world of today ;p

So much that some reviewers are complaining Pentax is spoiling the market image :D

my friend respond, for the

Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro + Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 + Pentax K20D + 3day shipping + kopi money :).
total is SG$1.5k

opinions? chop or not chop?

Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro + Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 + Pentax K20D + 3day shipping + kopi money :).
total is SG$1.5k

Did you include the GST that you may have to pay?

Is the warranty international?

total is SG$1.5k

Sounds pretty reasonable for this package.

Status
Not open for further replies.